<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BT business plan (Read 12,625 times)
egri

BT business plan
Apr 21st, 2005 at 6:09pm

You've probably heard that bt business plan offers national calls capped at 10p for up to an hour. This is clearly more expensive than 18866 which offers all national calls for 2p each. However even the lowest variety of business plan (where you have no minimum call spend), has calls to mobiles capped at 30p for up to an hour. Although my business uses 18866 for most calls (1899 for international. This is automatic with v2 orchid dialers). I was thinking it might be advantageous to sign up for business plan as well, and program the dialer to exclude numbers beginning with 07 (mobiles). That way calls to mobiles would go through business plan and be capped at 30p each. This is because I'm seeing entire days worth of calls costing 26p, but then this is ruined by a single 7 minute call to a mobile phone call costing 85p. What do you think of this idea?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: BT business plan
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 7:26pm

Taking this idea a step further.

Does this include 07744 numbers, operated by dolphin telecom?

At the moment these are included in mobile inclusive minutes, unless you're with 3, or singlepoint.

I use an 07744 number (as discussed in a previous thread) which allows you to call 0870/0845 numbers, and alot of foreign numbers.

The cheeky idea I have is call that number, then call your own 0870 number and use up that hour.  After taking account of connection times etc, a 59 minute 07744 call is capped at 30p.

The rebate if you manage to find 3p a minute for 58 minutes is £1.74.

All you need to do is point the 0870 number, to a service that will keep the caller on hold, and remember to hang up at the correct time.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

egri

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 9:58pm

I doubt this would work. BT generally suck. But if it did, you could point the 0870 number to a second 0870 number, which would point to a 3rd 0870 number etc, earning you more money!

IP Logged

jase

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 12:50pm

I must confess I was thinking along similar lines.

Another way of making money out of 0870 is the Orange "Daytime 3000" business tariff. As I understand it, you can call 0870 from an Orange contract phone and use it in your inclusive minutes. At 3p per minute, that's £90 per month for a £15 per month contract, which can't be bad.

Even if the 07744 doesn't work with the BT offer, the pre-dial number should do (it's standard Orange) and, although your revenue is cut down somewhat (you'd need to phone a landline for an hour to earn enough points for an hour on the 0870) there's still a fair profit margin in it.

IP Logged

italianmale

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 3:26pm

This may seem like a silly question but do you need to have your own business to qualify for the Orange "Daytime 3000" business tariff?

IP Logged

jase

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 3:59pm

Yes unfortunately, otherwise I'd be exploiting it right now.

I'll ask the same question re the BT Business tariff -- does this need to be in the name of a registered company as well?

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 10:33pm

If you're a sole trader, you normally have a business name, whether really trading or not. All you need is the name, headed note paper and the cheek to bs* the Telco !  Undecided

Quote:
. . . do you need to have your own business to qualify for the Orange "Daytime 3000" business tariff?
so the answer to this question is definitely NO !! You don't need to be registered, have trade references, accounts or anything like that. Just DO IT !!

Quote:
. . . program the dialer to exclude numbers beginning with 07 (mobiles). That way calls to mobiles would go through business plan . . .
and don't forget that Personal numbers also start with 07 and cost a bit more than 30p !!

The BT Business line tariff has its place, and if you can utilise all its benefits, it maybe worth it.
However I'd point out that the International rates are lower (but not lower than 1899), the calls to mobiles are lower (but not lower than 1899) and the local/national calls are lower in the peak period (but not lower than 18866).
Even using 1899 to call 070* personal numbers would work out cheaper,

Now give me a good reason for having the BT Business line, 'cos I can't see any ! I have in fact moved numerous clients recently from their Business line onto OneTel because of their offers (Evening/Weekend Free for a year)   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 11:25pm

DaveM. Are  you switching them to the One Tel line rental package,as well as the free evening and weekend calls.

BJ.

IP Logged

egri

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 4:21pm

Quote:
and don't forget that Personal numbers also start with 07 and cost a bit more than 30p !!

The BT Business line tariff has its place, and if you can utilise all its benefits, it maybe worth it.
However I'd point out that the International rates are lower (but not lower than 1899), the calls to mobiles are lower (but not lower than 1899) and the local/national calls are lower in the peak period (but not lower than 18866).
Even using 1899 to call 070* personal numbers would work out cheaper,

Now give me a good reason for having the BT Business line, 'cos I can't see any ! I have in fact moved numerous clients recently from their Business line onto OneTel because of their offers (Evening/Weekend Free for a year)   Roll Eyes

If I was really sad I could get around the 070 personal numbers bit by excluding 071*, 072*, 073*, 074* ... 078*, 079* instead of just 07*. However I've no idea what a personal number is anyway, and it would be too much effort.

I'm not suggesting switching to business plan, I'm suggesting using it only for mobile calls. Other calls are still through 18866 and 1899. Although shorter mobile calls will be more expensive, they will never be more than 30p (unless they go over an hour which is unlikely). Looking at some statistics in excel I have calculated a possible saving of £60 a year.

We don't need free evening and weekend calls, as everyone goes home at 5:30pm.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2005 at 4:23pm by egri »  

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 1:31am

Quote:
Are  you switching them to the One Tel line rental package,as well as the free evening and weekend calls.
Since that option came in, YES I certainly am. A couple of customers (like myself) are on the TotalUKCall plan to reduce their daily costs.

Quote:
However I've no idea what a personal number is . . .
These are numbers starting with 070xx

Quote:
I'm suggesting using it only for mobile calls.
As I mentioned above, 1899 is
much CHEAPER
  ! Shocked

Quote:
We don't need free evening and weekend calls, as everyone goes home at 5:30pm.
I agree that for these it makes more sense to utilise 18866.

Overall I'm pointing out that you seem to be using the cheapest already, so stick with 18866 & 1899.   Grin

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 4:43pm

07 PNS numbers are the very worst example of the NGN disguised Premium scam. Although revenue sharing with them was supposedly banned by Oftel, they only banned revenue sharing with the terminating subscriber, and allowed it to continue with intermediaries. This made the position insecure and still open to abuse.

Thus the scam merchants now get around this ban by nominating one of their friends or a neutral contact as the terminating subscriber and nominating themselves (the real terminating subscriber) as an intermediary!

The rates of charge for calling PNS numbers can be very high indeed, particularly with BT. The range of call charges is surprisingly wide. There are thus higher Premiums available with the abuse of these PNS numbers than with any other non-09 NGNs. This is why these PNS numbers are now being used with some scams involving Trojan internet diallers. They are outside the control of ICSTIS and not subject to any restraints when abused in this way.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2005 at 10:12pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

egri

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2005 at 4:29pm

Quote:
Overall I'm pointing out that you seem to be using the cheapest already, so stick with 18866 & 1899.   Grin

Perhaps you could post the rates BT charge to call mobile networks, as I am unable to find them.

If 1899 charges 10p a minute for mobile calls, and you are on the phone for longer than 3 minutes, then the call cost will be greater than 30p. If you made the same call over BT business plan, the call would cost exactly 30p. For example a 60 minute call that would cost £6 with 1899, would infact still cost 30p with business plan.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge