Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0800 calls to from abroad. (Read 33,019 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

0800 calls to from abroad.
May 5th, 2005 at 8:21am

Can anybody advise me if you can call UK freephone numbers from abroad,or if there are still problems with some countries, or overseas carriers.

BJ.

IP Logged

Tungata

Re: 0800 calls to from abroad.
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2005 at 9:11pm

Quote:
Can anybody advise me if you can call UK freephone numbers from abroad,or if there are still problems with some countries, or overseas carriers.

You can't dial UK Freephone numbers from abroad.

But you can use Universal Freephone numbers (single number multi country) +44800 normally up to 10 digits. But it will be dependant on which countries the service provider has selected to recieve calls from, approx 48 countries globally to chose from.

Or you can use International Freephone numbers which will be a number specific to a country and will look like an incountry national freephone number. e.g. USA it would normally start 1800 but can route back to the UK.

Conversely it is possible for UK 0800 numbers to be delivered overseas.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2005 at 9:19pm

So in other words any UK ad,or programme which is being watched abroad which asks for a response to a normal freephone no, the caller would not get through.EG I could be in France watching Crimewatch dial 0500 500 500 because i had some info and i would not get through.Marvellous!!!

Do you happen to know what countries bar access to 0845 and 0870 numbers.

BJ.

IP Logged

Tungata

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2005 at 9:43pm

Quote:
So in other words any UK ad,or programme which is being watched abroad which asks for a response to a normal freephone no, the caller would not get through.EG I could be in France watching Crimewatch dial 0500 500 500 because i had some info and i would not get through.Marvellous!!!

Correct, that's why on some of the shopping channel ads you will see the country flag followed by a dedicated number. These will be International Freefone numbers usually all routing to the same call centre.

Quote:
Do you happen to know what countries bar access to 0845 and 0870 numbers.

It's not countries that bar access, but the telcos that operate in those countries. Typically the incumbent national operators (In Western Europe) will allow access to 0870. Access to 0845 is more hit and miss. Likewise with smaller players and certainly mobile operators you will have greater difficulty getting international access to 0870 and 0845.

Unfortunately there is no list available as when a new range (e.g.0870 601 **** or 0870 123 ****) is opened up by a UK operator e.g. BT or C&W, they will notify overseas administrations and request that the range is given access out of their international gateways, but it is pretty much a gentleman's agreement and doesn't always work.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 10:28am

In another go at 0870 David Derbyshire covers this subject today in the Daily Telegraph (p11).

juby

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 2:20pm

Quote:
So in other words any UK ad,or programme which is being watched abroad which asks for a response to a normal freephone no, the caller would not get through.EG I could be in France watching Crimewatch dial 0500 500 500 because i had some info and i would not get through.

ah but you could dial 0208 811 8181 instead! I belive this number goes thru to CW when its operational.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 5:40pm

[quote author=Tungata link=board=news;num=1115277687;start=0#1 date=05/10/05 at 21:11:16]

But you can use Universal Freephone numbers (single number multi country) +44800 normally up to 10 digits. quote]

Close. To be displayed as +800 XXXX XXXX. Even then not all operators seem to be able to manage them. I believe that *&* had problems selling them to Land's End Clothing at the start and had to restore all the separate numbers.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 9:43pm

Quote:
In another go at 0870 David Derbyshire covers this subject today in the Daily Telegraph (p11).

juby
You must have a different edition to me.  His piece on P.11 in mine is about a hovering vacuum cleaner!

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 10:04pm

Quote:
For the sake of accuracy, UK 0800, as with 0870, 0845, 0844 and 0871 numbers can, sometimes, be called from overseas. The important aspect is that there is no guarantee that they can be called from overseas (thus rendering the numbers somewhat pointless for emergency-type scenarios - credit card loss, insurance claims, health questions, banking etc), and even if they can be called, the costs are invariably much higher than calling a geographic alternative.

Given tourists often use calling cards, say $10 or EUR10 at a time, and given that 08X tend to use long queues, the calling card, where the call can actually be made, will not last long.

It is incorrect to state that 0800 cannot be called from overseas, it is correct, however, to say that it is often difficult and sometimes impossible to call such numbers from outside the UK

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 10:21pm

Some idea of calling costs to the UK from discount carriers here in the US. The descriptions of anything other than 01/02 numbers is often vague (audiotext, premium, specialized). On the face of it, the OneSuite rates to NGNs at 17.5c/minute do not look too bad, however the rates are almost eight times that for calling a normal number. I suspect the tel3advantage 2.5c rates for premium and personal are either a mistake, or that they are being fleeced! Note that these are only some selective examples, but typify the problems faced by international callers.

<<
http://www.iscard.com/rates/home.asp

United Kingdom  (44) $0.069
United Kingdom, Audiotext $0.490
United Kingdom, Mobile or Premium $0.490

http://www.onesuite.com/rates.asp

United Kingdom 44  $0.0220
United Kingdom-Mobile 44 7 $0.1750
United Kingdom-Mobile 44 8 $0.1750
United Kingdom-Mobile 44 9 $0.1750

http://www.tel3advantage.com/rates.aspx

United Kingdom 2.5˘
United Kingdom Freephone 19.3˘
United Kingdom Mobile - All Carriers 19.3˘
United Kingdom Other Specialized 19.3˘
United Kingdom Pager 2.5˘
United Kingdom Personal 2.5˘
United Kingdom Premium 2.5˘

http://www.stanaphone.com/

United Kingdom 44 2.5c
United Kingdom 443, 444, 445, 448 28.1c

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:02am

Careful idb.  Don't forget that you are supposed to be  taking the line that it is "impossible" to call these numbers from the USA. Wink

But now we learn that one can call them with various US telcos but it is merely a lot more expensive.  This is the same position as when calling these numbers from the rest of the world.

And don't forget that we in the UK pay a lot more than 800% more to call an 0870 number compared to a number starting 01 or 02.  In my book 7.5p per minute compared to zero p per minute comes to paying infinity percent more to call them!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:08am

Quote:
Careful idb.  Don't forget that you are supposed to be  taking the line that it is "impossible" to call these numbers from the USA. Wink
True, but misinformation and hiding of key facts should be the preserve of the likes of NEG and not us here who should be beyond that!!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:14am

Quote:
True, but misinformation and hiding of key facts should be the preserve of the likes of NEG and not us here who should be beyond that!!!

Doesn't that mean you should have merely been taking the line that some US phone customers found it impossible to call the numbers.

Presumably Sprint and AT & T etc will all carry calls to these numbers at a price?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:27am

Quote:
Doesn't that mean you should have merely been taking the line that some US phone customers found it impossible to call the numbers.
I believe this is exactly what I have been saying for many months. There may be the odd slip, but this is the position I believe I have maintained!

Quote:
Presumably Sprint and AT & T etc will all carry calls to these numbers at a price?
I believe (don't quote me though) that because these providers charge a relatively high rate for international calls, 08X may well be carried at the same rate. I use neither to route my international calls, so can't really provide a definitive answer. They may or may not charge a premium, they may or may not route the calls at all.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:31am

Quote:
I believe this is exactly what I have been saying for many months. There may be the odd slip, but this is the position I believe I have maintained!

I got the impression in your FOI requests and so on that you had said people couldn't call these numbers at all from the USA?  But clearly I wasn't concentrating properly.  My Mistake. Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:31am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge