Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0800 calls to from abroad. (Read 33,101 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: 0800 calls to from abroad.
Reply #15 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:40am

Quote:
I got the impression in your FOI requests and so on that you had said people couldn't call these numbers at all from the USA?  But clearly I wasn't concentrating properly.  My Mistake. Wink
I've tried to word my requests to use the words/phrases  'difficult', 'sometimes impossible', 'no guarantee' etc wrt calling from overseas. There may have been the odd slip though!! I would have to go through all my own FOI requests.

The breakthrough for me was the acknowledgement by Ofcom of the difficulty faced by international callers. The Ofcom statement can now simply be appended to my FOI requests. Whatever I may think of Ofcom, it *is* the UK authority on telecommunications and therefore conveys some 'weight'! Its statement regarding problems in terminating international-originated calls to NGNs is good enough for me!

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 1:45am

In fact, looking back at my first FOI request, made on January 1, 2005, I used the following in my request:

"The sole use of 0870 numbers for public enquiries discriminates against
British citizens such as myself that are resident overseas in that we often
cannot complete calls to non-geographic numbers. The use of 0870 numbers for
public enquiries contravenes government's own advice regarding the operation
of call centers (source: COI http://www.coi.gov.uk/ccg/download.php 'cost to
citizen' update)."

ie not claiming that NGNs can *never* be called from overseas.

I have learned much more about FOI since January 1. It is the one piece of legislation that has enabled the public to strike back against government use of 0870 scam lines. I really feel that the HMG will be forced to ditch these numbers soon. One sticking point may be NEG's 0844 scamlines.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 2:37am

Various governmental people now seem to believe its only from the USA that there are problems calling 084/7 numbers.  I think that's all largely due to your own single handed efforts.

If only we had someone like you in France and on the Costa Del Sol too.  Then they would realise that the same problems exist from those countries too.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2005 at 2:45am by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 2:44am

Quote:
Various governmental people now seem to believe its only from the USA that there are problems calling 084/7 numbers.  I think that's all largely due to your own single handed efforts.

If only we had someone like you in Frane and on the Costa Del Sol too.  Then they would realise that the same problems exist from those countries too.
I have no real idea how difficult it is to call NGNs from Europe. I suspect that again, there are some operators who will handle the calls and some that will not. I have anecdotal evidence that the ability to call from South America or Africa is not good but I don't have any real facts to back this up.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 3:02am

Quote:
ah but you could dial 0208 811 8181 instead! I belive this number goes thru to CW when its operational.

But they dont tell you this on screen,do they?

BJ.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #20 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 6:02am

no, but then that number used to be CBBC in the days of 0181. BBC liked it and are now using it as an underlying number for whatever they choose.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2005 at 4:47pm

It varies a lot. I'm talking only of access from mobile networks though. I have previously rung 0870 numbers from France, and French 0892 (eg Etap hotels) numbers from here or abroad, but not with cheap calls operators, only Orange here or roaming.

I suspect many GSM networks do not recognise such numbers though; whether when using a roaming phone or a local SIM, the number is in an undefined range and unobtainable. In Slovakia recently, I found that no UK 0800, 0844, 0845, 0870 or 0871 numbers were recognised by T-mobile SK. I used Callbackworld with the T-mob SIM, and will have been charged the same rate as for a UK mobile.

Conversely, it was possible until only recently to call UK 0871 numbers for 1p/minute via an operation that was calling into the UK, so there is still scope for finding cheap alternatives sometimes; just don't know how to access abroad.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2005 at 4:48pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge