<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DVLA (Read 37,971 times)
pal1970

DVLA
May 13th, 2005 at 10:07am

We have been receiving a high volume of calls on 01792 311400 for DVLA general enquiries. Callers are advising that this number has been obtained from this website. This number is not associated with the DVLA enquiry unit and is purely for administration purposes. Customers are being advised of this fact when they call the above number and are then provided with either 0870 240 0010 / 0009 to redial.
I would appreciate it if you could remove this number from the website to eliminate caller frustration at having to redial again.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: DVLA
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2005 at 2:41pm

It would be better if callers were advised to redial 01792 782341 rather than an 8p/minute 0870 number.

Whoever has been using that 311400 number obviously missed the FOI reply DVLA (eventually) gave: Quote:
Ref: Freedom of Information Act 2000 - request for information

I am writing to confirm that the Agency has now completed its search for the information which you requested on 1 January 2005.

As an overseas caller, you requested an alternative geographic number for making driver/vehicle enquiries.  I can confirm that our switchboard number is 01792 782341 and can be used for this purpose.

If you are unhappy with the way the Agency has handled your request, you may ask for an internal review.  You should contact me if you wish to complain. 

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision.  The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2005 at 2:44pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2005 at 3:08pm

Quote:
I would appreciate it if you could remove this number from the website to eliminate caller frustration at having to redial again.

The "caller frustration" is with being ripped off by being forced to dial 0870 in the first place! Whilst I appreciate that you did not put the number in place, may I suggest that the volume of calls coming through to this number is as a direct result of the 0870s being in place, and that you point this out to the powers that be at the DVLA.

This is in the database as "Personalised Registration Enquiries". There are other alternatives to the Vehicles and Drivers 0870 you quote listed in the database, including the switchboard one Heinz mentions.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2005 at 4:07pm

Quote:
The "caller frustration" is with being ripped off by being forced to dial 0870 in the first place! Whilst I appreciate that you did not put the number in place, may I suggest that the volume of calls coming through to this number is as a direct result of the 0870s being in place, and that you point this out to the powers that be at the DVLA.

I think what the anonymous DVLA poster means is "receiver frustration" (I wouldn't be at all frustrated making such a call - it would cost me nothing).

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2005 at 4:14pm

Maybe the anonymous DVLA poster can post some geographical numbers which go straight to the Vehicles and Drivers office, rather than just telling us to dial 0870.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2005 at 4:19pm

This posting from the DVLA is FANTASTIC NEWS   Grin

It means all the hard work from the folks on this site is working. The DVLA are getting narked.

Well done!

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2005 at 5:41pm

The FOI response didn't provide the proper number.  DVLA offices are open until 8pm on weekdays and on Saturdays (some depts) so there must be another 01792 number for the actual enquiry line.

The switchboard number provided is only operational 9 - 5, Mon - Fri Angry

And also I'd like to say that I will continue to call the other 01792 number, even if I'm not connected to the right dept, just to prove that we are not going to accept defeat and go away.  If they want the calls to stop, they should provide an 01792 number. Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2005 at 7:35pm

I am tempted to suggest that everybody in this forum now calls the DVLA number that the protester complains about at least 10 times a day until the DVLA desists from the use of 0870 numbers. Grin

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2005 at 9:45pm

Excellent Idea.   Grin

Gather a coalition, set a date to begin and we'll get dialling 8)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2005 at 1:32am

Quote:
Excellent Idea.   Grin

Gather a coalition, set a date to begin and we'll get dialling 8)  

On the other hand writing letters of protest to one's local member of parliament, local police authority etc will probably achieve more.

I wonder what our friend Paul Tyler is going to do to fill his spare time with now that he has ceased to be a Member of Parliament.  Perhaps he needs a new campaign to work on?

And what announcement will Ofcom be making at the start of July.  It could be that we are left with nothing at all to protest about? Grin

Of course there is always the issue of why has BT has been allowed to prevent rival operators who take up its  wholesale line rental product (eg Onetel and the Post Office) from then letting their customers have access to all telephone service providers in the marketplace (as BT's customers do by statute).  Since no wholesale line rental operator can do this I can only assume that this is yet another BT anti competitive practice although fortunately as yet BT have not found a way to do pull this stunt for VoIP calls with other network operators.

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2005 at 9:59am

Ok lets all set a date and time and then phone in and over load the switch board then they will know we all will not dial 0870 numbers   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2005 at 10:00am by dad2711 »  

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #11 - May 17th, 2005 at 10:13am

Quote:
And what announcement will Ofcom be making at the start of July.  It could be that we are left with nothing at all to protest about? Grin

What announcement?

IP Logged

pal1970

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2005 at 11:57am

In response to you posts, i have contacted saynoto0870.com and they have removed the number from the site.

The number that was listed (01792 311400) is not associated with the DVLA. We are a contractor who work on behalf of the DVLA and the number published was for our contract administrator. I hope that this clarifies our situation.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2005 at 12:35pm

Quote:
In response to you posts, i have contacted saynoto0870.com and they have removed the number from the site.

The number that was listed (01792 311400) is not associated with the DVLA. We are a contractor who work on behalf of the DVLA and the number published was for our contract administrator. I hope that this clarifies our situation.

You make a fair point then that probably an inappropriate geographic number was listed on this site.

However I would hope that you were not personally supportive of the use of 0870 numbers and would make the point with your DVLA contacts that public opposition to these numbers is now so overwhelming that they must seriously consider desisting from their use and instead follow the guidance given by the Central Office of Informtion on government contact centre phone numbers.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2005 at 12:43pm

Quote:
What announcement?

Ofcom will be announcing what regulatory changes they plan to make for 084x/087x numbers in June/July following on from their Consultation Document that closed in January - NTS Options for the Future.

Ofcom originally proposed that 084x/087x call prices merely needed more publicity and that there needed to be more price levels to improve competition (that is competition to charge your captive customers the highest possible exorbitant prices for calling) but BT put the cat among the pigeons on this in its response by proposing that all 0845 and 0870 revenue sharing be abolised and these numbers priced by all phone companies at the same lower prices they already charge for 01 and 02 geographic numbers.  Although rather  strangely BT proposed that revenue share could still continue on 0844 and 0871 which would amonted to something of a massive loophole.

However because Ofcom seem to live in fear of upsetting the commercial applecart that people like DVLA and Surrey Police have now signed up to it is likely that they will come up with some meely mouthed recommendation that companies with 084x/087x numbers should publish the geographic alternative and must more clearly indicate the call prices involved and that the words "local rate" and "national rate" to describe them will no longer be allowed to be used.  But as the guidance will not be binding it will be resoundingly ignored and our campaign to get rid of these numbers will continue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge