Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ACTION against the 0870/0845 rip-off (Read 41,445 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: ACTION against the 0870/0845 rip-off
Reply #30 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 7:26pm

Might be an idea when we can work out the final copy, which we can e-mail to all our friends, that it's listed as one of the hot topics at the front of the page, separately by either Daniel, or Dave.

I have had several chain e-mails, sometimes up to 20 times, and I have several contacts in my address book, who forward anything and everything, hence why I end up with so much forwarded e-mail.

If we can all agree a final copy which will be suitable to start as a chain e-mail, then hopefully it will start to spread around the UK, and people will take notice!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #31 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 8:28pm

This viral email looks like its shaping up nicely - I'm impressed  and hope it can inform many others of this consumer rip-off. 

I agree its impossible to get every point across in a single email which I believe shouldn't be longer than ONE screen so to avoid people switching off.  (The link back to the SayNoTo0870 site could provide a link giving all the relevant history and background anyway.)

However I would like to suggest a couple of inclusions which I feel might help get the point across more strongly...

Regarding the issue of companies making money, could something be added along these lines ....
"and we're talking more that just pennies here, companies make £Ms (or whatever figure is accurate ) out of us through this rip-off"

And regarding those of us who have already paid for free local/national calls, could we include something like...
"Having already paid a monthly fee to your telephone company, you still have to pay for 0845/0870 etc calls - so you're effectivley paying TWICE to make these calls"

Finally, could the link to complain to Oftel be as straight forward as possible, so that the user just simply provides their name, address and email address before clicking a send button to send their complaint.

Anyway, hope these suggestions are helpful and look forward to reading the finalised version.

Cheers
Garry

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Phoneuser

Reply #32 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 5:44pm

Garry,

I don't think a finalised version will be achievable.  I think that people should pick and choose from what we've already got on this forum and get on with sending them out.  I just don't think it will be possible for everyone to agree on a single version; everyone knows the bits that matter to them. 

Has anybody sent anything out yet?

Regards

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #33 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 8:13pm

What about a mention of mobile inclusive minutes.  You pay a monthly fee, for loads of mobile minutes, which can be used for calling landlines, and mobiles on the same network, and in many cases other mobile networks.  Sometimes off peak only, sometimes, anytime of the day.

However if you want to call 0870 numbers, then instead of using up your free allowance, you could pay up to 50p minute to make these calls, so mobile phone users are stung even more.

The only exception to this is O2, who still allow inclusive minutes on 0870, and 0845 numbers

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 9:04pm

Quote:
What about a mention of mobile inclusive minutes.  You pay a monthly fee, for loads of mobile minutes, which can be used for calling landlines, and mobiles on the same network, and in many cases other mobile networks. ...

I think we should leave calls from mobiles out of it. Ofcom 'NTS Options for the Future' document even suggested that calls to NTS from mobiles was insignificant. They estimated that 5% of calls to NTS were from mobiles.

At the end of the day, companies say, "It's upto the phone provider what they charge." It's upto us to show that this is not the case.

The prices some mobile tariffs charge are clearly way in excess of what it costs them to terminate the calls. The price from landlines cannot fall due to the termination charges, and that is the key point, as far as pricing goes.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2005 at 9:25pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Phoneuser

Reply #35 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 10:14am

Let's just get on with sending out mails!  If we send a variety there is a better chance of one of them catching on.

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #36 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 6:57pm

I don't think it's a good idea to quote the cost comparisons in pence per minute, for two reasons:

1. Some people will see it penny-pinching. They will view it as a trivial issue about "a difference of only 4½ pence", rather than the huge amounts being creamed off by the call recipients.

2. A lot of people over-estimate the true cost of phone calls. When they see a price of 7.51p/min, some people will think that's quite cheap. These kinds of people typically make heavy use of PAYG mobiles etc, and are used to paying much more for their phone calls. They'll think it's a big fuss about nothing.

I think it's much better to say something like "Calls to 0870 numbers are surcharged by at least 150% on top of normal national call rates and the organisation you're calling receives most of that hefty surcharge". Talk in percentage terms, not in pence. The impact is much greater. As soon as you start quoting pence per minute, it will trivialise the issue for many people.

I have a paragraph about the scam on my web site at http://www.nicholashodder.com/scams.htm#0870 . Please feel free to copy any part of it for a viral e-mail.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge