Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who Nuked Using 0870 as Emerg Number Topic??! (Read 25,763 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Who Nuked Using 0870 as Emerg Number Topic??!
Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:51pm

I just wrote a long post telling people here that I have this evening been called personally by Ailsa Beaton, the Met's Director of Information, to tell me that after reading my earlier posts complaining that it was not fair to pass the buck on to Pito there has now apparently been a road to Damascus style change of heart over at the Met.

Miss Beaton has promised me that by midnight tonight all relevant sources will now also show a geographic phone number as well as the existing 0870 number.

I do find it more than a little worrying that someone who is the Met's Director of Information and on the board of Pito should previously have been, on her own admission, totally unaware of the high costs of calling these numbers from BT Payphones and mobile phobes and also the impossibility of calling them from overseas.  But perhaps these days one only makes it to director level in such a large organisation if one accepts the politically correct version of the universe rather than the nasty gritty reality of life which those of us who are slightly more cynical are only too well aware of.

Whatever may be the case it is certainly good to know that the action of this site has managed to change the situation while most of those at Ofcom have apparently been snoozing once again after using the excuse of the bombing for another day's extra annual holiday.

However rather more worryingly someone appears to have blasted our original thread off this website suggesting either that we have been hacked or that Daniel has been sent a fearsome message threatening a libel action by a party or parties unknown?

Please tell us Daniel which of these two possibilities is in fact reality?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Who Nuked Using 0870 as Emerg Number Topic??!
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:51pm

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:57pm

NGN see the posting below this one in the forum re the missing info,and the Geographical no which is now available.

BJ.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:58pm

Quote:
However rather more worryingly someone appears to have blasted our original thread off this website suggesting either that we have been hacked or that Daniel has been sent a fearsome message threatening a libel action by a party or parties unknown?

Please tell us Daniel which of these two possibilities is in fact reality?

Thanks for your post - Unfortunately the thread was accidentally deleted by one of the moderators.  He was meaning to delete one post, but unfortunately the entire thread was deleted.

I am currently trying to find anyone who has a 'cached' copy of some or all the pages of that thread - so I can try and get it rebuilt.

Thanks
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:01pm

Quote:
Thanks for your post - Unfortunately the thread was accidentally deleted by one of the moderators.

Embarrassed  Embarrassed
Quote:
I am currently trying to find anyone who has a 'cached' copy of some or all the pages of that thread - so I can try and get it rebuilt.

I have pages 1, 2 , 4 and 5. Does anyone have page 3?

If you work offline and look through your history for the thread.

Sorry. Embarrassed

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:06pm

Quote:
Thanks for your post - Unfortunately the thread was accidentally deleted by one of the moderators.  He was meaning to delete one post, but unfortunately the entire thread was deleted.

Why did he need to delete anything.  This was our most important ever thread and Dave deleted it.  Words fail me.

If we abandoned censorship then this wouldn't have happened.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:12pm

Quote:
Why did he need to delete anything.  This was our most important ever thread and Dave deleted it.  Words fail me.

A post was made which for some reason was not showing on the forum.  After making a test post the original message then showed up.  The test message was the message that was being removed.

Daniel

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:13pm

Quote:
Why did he need to delete anything.  This was our most important ever thread and Dave deleted it.  Words fail me.

NGM is right - this is the most important discussion ever to take place within this forum. It has to be created in its entirety. I've checked my cache, but can't help.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:14pm

We now have most of the pages back from cache, and I will get them rebuilt into the original thread asap.

Apologies again for the disruption.

Daniel

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:38pm

NGM & idb (and everyone else),

What Dave did was an accident and he was helping me sort a problem I had with a post not appearing.

I have posted all relevant info in the other thread here.

As Daniel has said hopefully he can rebuild the thread to as near as possible as the original before this unfortunate accident occured.

I'm not sticking up for anyone here but accidents do happen and no-one is perfect.

Possibly after this Daniel will look into increasing the frequency of backups to the site but remember this thing could have happened on MSE because at the end of the day I even doubt MSE backs up their forum after every post.  They possibly do it daily or something along the same lines.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 9:02pm

Quote:
We now have most of the pages back from cache, and I will get them rebuilt into the original thread asap.

And how will you also get everyone resubscribed to that thread for updates on any new posts and how will you also incorporate any posts on the Police contact centre number issue in this thread?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 9:07pm

Quote:
A post was made which for some reason was not showing on the forum.  After making a test post the original message then showed up.  The test message was the message that was being removed.

I have experienced a problem a couple of times during the day when I made a post that should have started a new page but my message didn't appear.

I knew I had posted it so I then made a blank post with two spaces in it and my missing message and the blank post appeared.  Then when another forum member had made a subsequent post I deleted the blank message and the message I had trouble with getting to appear at the top of the page remained.

But I only deleted the blank post and not the one with the message in it. Roll Eyes

I would be a bit more sympathetic with Dave if the progress on adding numbers in the unverified list had not recently slowed to seemingly non existent.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:28pm

I have now managed to get most of the posts back - Pages 1,2,4,5 are back - just missing page 3.

Please post all new posts related to 'London Bombing 0870 emergency number' to the original thread:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=...

I have to manual copy/paste each post, to convert it from a cached website into a readable format for the forum.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

Daniel
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:39pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 11:17pm

Thanks for all your hard work in getting this thread back as close as possible to the original.

I even noticed you have used the same topic number so all links would still remain valid.

For those wishing to re-subscribe for new post notifications (I'm not sure if that is still necessary) then this can be done by clicking on 'Notify of Replies' at the top right-hand side of the OP.

Thanks again

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 11:19pm

Quote:
Thanks for all your hard work in getting this thread back as close as possible to the original.

I even noticed you have used the same topic number so all links would still remain valid.

No problem - It took a lot of manual work, and I have pains now in both wrists/arms (RSI), but got back as much as possible, as quickly as possible  8)

Yes, I made sure it got the same topic number, for existing links.

Thanks
Daniel
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2005 at 11:20pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge