Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0800 Numbers to be used for future Casualty Bureau (Read 10,165 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

0800 Numbers to be used for future Casualty Bureau
Jul 28th, 2005 at 6:43pm

I have just received the following press release in regards to the use of 0800 numbers for future casualty numbers:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
0800 NUMBERS TO BE USED FOR FUTURE CASUALTY BUREAUX

With immediate effect, casualty bureaux will use 0800 numbers, which are free to the majority of users, rather than the present 0870 which are charged to the caller.

Commenting on the conclusion of the joint review, by the Home Office, ACPO and PITO, of the use of 0870 numbers to provide Casualty Bureau access to the public, Home Office Minister Hazel Blears said:

"It is important that people receive every possible support when they are concerned about a loved one.

"The introduction of 0800 numbers as the main means of contact to casualty bureaux, which we have arranged with our contractor, Cable & Wireless, means that calls will be free to the large majority of callers. People need to be aware that there may still be a charge to callers from mobile phones. We will be looking at this with Ofcom and the service providers to establish if it is possible to carry these calls at nil charge in the future.

"0800 numbers may not be accessed from overseas, including from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. We are therefore, through Cable and Wireless, providing an alternative geographic 020 number.  While it is primarily for the use of overseas callers, it is also available to inland customers, including those using mobile phones, who may find the charges lower than the standard rate for 0800.

"We are confident that these new numbers will provide a resilient system that will ensure that members of the public receive an efficient service in the event of an incident. We have been assured by Ofcom that these arrangements are in line with their guidance on best practice."

Note to Editors

1.      The joint review was announced by Hazel Blears on 15 July 2005.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: 0800 Numbers to be used for future Casualty Bu
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 7:01pm

Looks like a case of game, set and match to us on this one then.  Wink Grin

They are even going to publish a geographic number too for mobile users and overseas callers.  I suspect that Cable & Wireless actually deserve far more credit for this than either the Police or Miss Blears.  I suspect that they have offered to do this for nothing under the terms of the current free of charge Pito contract so as to avoid the possibility of any further bad publicity.

One wonders why Miss Blears ever tried to pretend that they had to use an 0870 number for this line and didn't instead just admit that it was a cock up that now revealed would soon be corrected.

But then perhaps that's like asking why the Police had to compound their already grotesque error by pretending that the unfortunate Brazilian gentleman hurdled the ticket barriers at Stockwell rather than instead just calmly using his Travelcard as was in fact actually the case. Shocked
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2005 at 7:02pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 12:53am

Quote:
just calmly using his Travelcard as was in fact actually the case. Shocked

Sure he wasnt tracked using his oystercard?

Scary what information they hold on you about your "habits" on that card!

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 8:52pm

Hi. Just come back from Spain and have read as much as I can before saying anything.

I believe that congratulations are in order here. (One particularly but I don't want to inflate anybody's ego).

The statement by Hazel Blears is no more than restoring the status quo. But it is a statement, is recorded in Hansard and can therefore be refered to at a later date.

Interestingly it might also have a strong effect on those charities who are - as we speak - planning to make a lot of money out of this, using 0870 numbers from which they deny receiving any revenue.

juby

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:20pm

That's great news Grin

But how did you hear about it?  I watch at least one full news programme every day and also good old Radio 4 at other times.  I didn't hear a thing about this ???

But it's great news anyway - well done all Grin Cheesy Wink 8)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:24pm

Quote:
Interestingly it might also have a strong effect on those charities who are - as we speak - planning to make a lot of money out of this, using 0870 numbers from which they deny receiving any revenue.

Welcome back from holiday Juby.  Help also appears as though it will soon be at hand on the international mobile roaming prices front following Vodafone's announcement of its new Passport deal where customers only have to pay 75p to receive a call of up to 60 minutes length.  It can only be a matter of time before Vodafone's competitors have to follow suit.  They more or less have to cave in now on this rip off or face the jackboot of the European commissioner.

Regarding the Police 0870 thing I think this has only happened because the Chairman of C&W actually seems to be a reasonably decent bloke who is sensitive to bad publicity.  I personally don't believe that the Home Office or Pito have agreed to pay a Red Cent extra to C&W but C&W are going to grin and bear the cost of changing to 0800 rather than be embarassed again.

After all they wouldn't want people to start asking why another public body like the BBC also uses 0870 so extensively with C&W now would they Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:25pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge