Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
OFCOM, Wrong info again! (Read 43,924 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: OFCOM, Wrong info again!
Reply #30 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:55am

Dave wrote on Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:24pm:
This revised User's Guide to Telephone Numbering has not come online yet. There is a message saying it will be ready by the end of January 2006. Why does it take Ofcom to make changes? Or is it starting from scratch?

Holidays my dear Dave.  Holidays. Roll Eyes Wink

At the salaries earned by senior Ofcom staff they can afford to go on some quite good ones to break up the boring routing of having to look at those rather nice views of the City of London from their Southwark Bridge based HQ.

Whereas we the consultees can be expected to be at their beck and call and if they decide to cut a consultation to only 2 weeks (070) or 8 weeks (various other current consultations) instead of the normal 10 weeks well then by jove they jolly well can.

You must surely realise who is king of the castle in all this. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:55am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #31 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:39am

I see we're still waiting for the end of January 2006.....................  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

See here.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #32 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:48pm

Have just e-mailed OfCon asking for a copy of the updated guide.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #33 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:47pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:48pm:
Have just e-mailed OfCon asking for a copy of the updated guide.

Have now received the following reply:
Quote:
Dear Trevor

Thanks for your email.

We are have just announced a review of Telephone Numbering. Please see below for more details:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/02/nr20060223#content

then...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/numberingplan/ <http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/numberingplan/>;

and the consultation at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/ <http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/>;

It's a major piece of work; much more complex I'm afraid than we envisaged when we told people, via our website, that an updated guide to numbering would be available from January 2006.

So that reference on our site is out of date (and thanks for spotting it, we'll change it), but only because we decided, after a lot of research, that we would be better off conducting a full review of all UK telephone numbering rather than assume that the old Oftel plan was simply in need of a nip and tuck.

The new guide should be up later in this summer, once the Review consultation is completed and the final numbering statement published.

In the meantime, if you have any views on the consultation, please do take the time to respond to the team. You can do so online here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/form

Regards
Matt

:: Matt Peacock
   Director of Communications

matt.peacock@ofcom.org.uk <mailto:matt.peacock@ofcom.org.uk>

:: Ofcom
   Riverside House
   2a Southwark Bridge Road
   London SE1 9HA
   020 7981 3000
   www.ofcom.org.uk

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - May 11th, 2006 at 2:21am

Well would you Adam and Eve it, the User's Guide to Telephone Numbering still hasn't been published. It's now gonna be late summer 2006, after the review of telephone numbers.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #35 - May 11th, 2006 at 11:01am

So Matt Peacock, the one who admitted on the radio that 0870 numbers were premium rate, is now 'Director of Communications' is he?

Always used to say in my old job that they only promoted people to get them out of the way .........

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #36 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:16pm

derrick wrote on Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:10pm:
Just found this    after being given the website from a company to who I complained about an 0870 number.

At the top is this: ["This document was originally published by Oftel, one of the organisations replaced by Ofcom at the end of 2003. It represents Ofcom's current policy"],
whilst it says it was published by Oftel at the end of 2003, it also states that it is Ofcoms "current"policy.

Thanks to derrick for spotting this over a year ago. You guessed it, Ofcom still do not have a USER'S GUIDE TO NUMBERING! I think that "Late summer 2006" has gone, although perhaps those at Ofcom are sunning it up somewhere hot and therefore still think that it is summer.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #37 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:57pm

Heinz wrote on May 11th, 2006 at 11:01am:
So Matt Peacock, the one who admitted on the radio that 0870 numbers were premium rate, is now 'Director of Communications' is he?

He has been their Director of Communications all along ever since he joined the from AOL some time at the start of 2004 I believe.

Unfortunately though he does seem to have difficulty in communicating accurate information to the public instead of only spin based press releases that wrongly suggest no one will pay extra for 0870 after February 2008 and totally ignore Ofcom's failure to act over the 0844 and 0845 isues.

Most of the natonal press seem to have so far been hoodwinked by these deliberately misleading press releases from Ofcom.  I hope to correct that misunderstanding and to explain to the press that Ofcom is merely letting the problem transfer to 0844, 0845 and 0871 numbers in due course.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:58pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #38 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 8:26pm

It looks as if Ofcom has given up on a "User's Guide to Numbering" as the link is now dead:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/num_user_guide

It should also be noted that it was also under the heading "Information for Telecommunications Industry".

There is a whole section, including FAQs, on London numbers beginning 3 hereRoll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2007 at 8:27pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #39 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:00am

The information on this thread is typical of the ocom oftel Icstis and all the rest of the so called regulators, I am not as knowledgeable as most members that write in this forum but if my information is correct they are all funded by the telco's

How can they say that it is an independant and fair system when their wages come from the people that they are attempting to regulate.

I apologise in advance if this is inacurate but I am sick of the so called people that regulate the industry when the industry pays their rather large salaries.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Number crunching – a guide to the cost of calls
Reply #40 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Four years after being made aware that the "User's guide to telephone numbering" was no longer accurate (I'm not sure why it didn't know that this was the case), Ofcom has finally published some information on a guide to the cost of calls:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer/2009/08/how-much-does-a-phone-call-really-cost/

IP Logged

catj

Reply #41 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 12:19am

That guide is too simplistic and glosses over a number of important points. It's a start, but I am already waiting for version 2. The current version falls short.

I also note that Ofcom get a mauling in quite a few of the Numbering Review responses here:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/responses/
especially http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/responses/FlextelLimited... and others.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009 at 1:14am by catj »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #42 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:36am

Consultation from Ofcom – Healthcare number

Firstly they say that people are unsure what to do when they need help, well in my opinion the service they are suggesting still won’t help because callers will just have an additional number to remember. If callers can’t remember 100 for the operator (and my research suggests that they can’t) what chance have they got of remembering an additional 11 didgit number for healthcare

The price of calls will be determined by the Department of Health through negotiations with communications providers, and the consultation sets out a range of pricing option. All this service will do is create another premium rate number in disguise charging people to access a public service, unless of course it is delivered on an 0800 free phone number which I doubt.

Local  Rates -  I have learned from members of this forum that the term local rate is the wrong terminology  and I agree now it has been explained to me but even Ofcom use the term (see below)
These include making calls free to the caller, 10p per call, 3p per minute or charged at local or national rates.

Just another way for the teco's to create wealth from the poorer members of the community in may eyes.

Can a survey be started and the result be sent to No. 10 Downing Street in the same way that the 0845 number for dotors was

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge