Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
University of Derby (Read 58,222 times)
onesexylady

Nottingham
University of Derby
Oct 13th, 2005 at 11:00pm

I've looked through the site and can't find anything for this but my Daughters in halls of residence number 0870 0407*** It's too expensive to use. Has anyone any ideas for a cheaper number? It's expensive both ways so any help would be very much appreciated

Thankyou
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:35pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: University of Derby
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:53am

The name of the University in question might help someone point you in the right direction. Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:35pm by Dave »  

BJ.

IP Logged

onesexylady

Nottingham
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:10am

Its Derby University, I couldn't find anything in the search about it. It just seems so unfair when the students are paying so much money for the halls anyway and on top of that she had to pay for the phone even if she didn't want it she had no choice. That was included in a £240 booking fee of which only £50 is returnable deposit. I queried what the other £190 was for and they said the internet access which is in every room and the phone
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:36pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:50am

You could try calling via the switchboard (is it 01332 590500  )and ask them for extension Nr. XXXX , whatever it is .
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:37pm by Dave »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

onesexylady

Nottingham
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:57am

No that doesn't work. There are a few different halls of residence there and they just say we have to call the direct number of the room Sad

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:01pm

Well anyone phoning from abroad might find phoning the direct 0870 number didn't work...

and if that doesn't work...
How does the internal extension number,   compare to the last 4 or 5 digits of the 0870 0407xxx  number ?

Can you call other rooms  and / or Halls directly ie. with a short number   OR do you have to use the 0870 number for either or both ?

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

onesexylady

Nottingham
Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:28pm

Thanx I'll have to check these things with her. I know she can call others in the halls but I'm not sure if it's just the building shes in as I said theres quite a few different halls but internally it's prob without the 0870 because I think it's supposed to be free internally, at least I hope so! She can't do with any more unexpected extra costs. Shes just found out she has to pay a £60 parking permit just for the halls aswell which we didn't know about and she still has to pay to catch a bus to uni and back everyday as that doesnt cover the main campus either. It would have been cheaper to commute from home

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 2:50pm

If this statement from Uni of Derby Accomodation website  (  http://www.dsrl.co.uk/index.php?node=551  )  applies :-

Each of our Halls of Residence has it’s own unique character but most provide you with:
[list][*]A telephone in your room from which you can call your friends in Halls for free. We only charge you for calls out of the University [b]at standard BT rates[/b].
[/list]
then, what's the problem ?

IP Logged

onesexylady

Nottingham
Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:20pm

Oh I didn't know that was on. If thats the case then well maybe its just me calling her thats expensive. Do you think I could add that telephone number safetly to my 1899 bill so it would only cost her 3p connection charge each time she rang out to landlines on it? or is that not possible as maybe some don't take predial numbers? I'm on NTL seems that she would have a BT line then
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:56pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Quote:
Oh I didn't know that was on. If thats the case then well maybe its just me calling her thats expensive. Do you think I could add that telephone number safetly to my 1899 bill...

That's doubtful  Undecided

Get her to dial 1899 (with the appropriate prefix to get an outside line). If she can connect to 1899, she will be able to do so without registering the number, as anyone can. All that it does is tell you you have to register the number. It also gives you the number you are calling from at the end of the announcement.

I presume that when she calls from the phone, it gives a withheld number. If so, get her to put 1470 infront of the outside number. For example if she dials 1234 to make an outside call, and she wanted to ring 012345678, she would normally dial 1234012345678. Get her to try 12341470012345678. This will normally give out the number on a residential line when it is perminantly withheld.

So if she can call you by adding 1470, look at your caller display or dial 1471 to see if a number is left. I don't expect it to work, but it's worth a try.

Can you get us a link to some more information on this telephone system?

The 0870 040 prefix is allocated to NTL, change dated 11/1997.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:12pm

[quote author=joe65  link=1129240856/0#7 date=1129297840]
Each of our Halls of Residence has it’s own unique character but most provide you with:
[list][*]A telephone in your room from which you can call your friends in Halls for free. We only charge you for calls out of the University [b]at standard BT rates[/b].
[/list]
[/quote]
personally I wouldn't count on this information being correct, until you've proved it.   If it isn't then you might try holding them to honouring such a statement on their website advertising their accomodation, unless an exploitative student telephony system is one of the unique features adding to this Hall's unique character.

IP Logged

onesexylady

Nottingham
Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:22pm

Thanx for your help I'm going to speak to her about it and try to take it all in myself first too Smiley slowly. I'll let you know what happens and I'll ask her for all the information shes got on the system

Thanx Again
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:23pm by onesexylady »  

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:22pm

[quote author=Dave  link=1129240856/0#9 date=1129301778]

Get her to dial 1899 (with the appropriate prefix to get an outside line). .................. It also gives you the number you are calling from at the end of the announcement.
[/quote]
Hey Dave, that's a great way of getting the Geographic number.    I tried it from a line for which BT Line Test tells you the 0870 number, but sure enough this way it tells you the geographic number.
I fear 'though any decent Student telephony system will have barred access to all such CPS codes, because as you say,   anyone could register......., but  the Uni. would get the bill.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:32pm

Quote:
Hey Dave, that's a great way of getting the Geographic number.    I tried it from a line for which BT Line Test tells you the 0870 number, but sure enough this way it tells you the geographic number.

This should be treated with caution!

Why, because the number it gives may be an outgoing number where all calls (from all rooms) come from. I seem to remember another university gives different geographical outgoing number(s) to incoming ones.

If it works, registering that number may leave you picking up the bill for calls made by others, should they discover it.

That said, if the geographical number in question is the same as the incoming one, then you've cracked it. So if you ring this number and get through to that room, you have the number!!

It's all ifs and buts, so see how it goes.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 6:01pm

Never register a shared line of any type to an Indirect Access code like this (eg 1899).   Once it's registered all calls from the line (using that access code) will be billed to whoever registered.
The registered number is often likely to be a common number for a group of lines  and calls from any line in the group (eg. anywhere in the Halls) may also be billed to whoever registered. (Once it's registered anyone could use it).
Don't use the 1899 number for anything more than possibly just identifying a number for dialling back in on, as Dave described above.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2005 at 4:42pm by joe65 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge