Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Ofcom Consults on 101 Police Number & Call Costs (Read 103,359 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: Ofcom Consults on 101 Police Number & Call
Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 10:06pm

Hey NGM,

That's amusing. Whilst I was posting my rather longer reply you got your post in ahead of me stating much the same!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 11:09am

Quote:
2) What is the evident and real purpose of this gambit: this is indicated by the announced call rate per minute - even more than current 0870! The real reason for this gambit is so that the police can have call centres with illegal queuing on what will be yet another form of Disguised Premium number at 10 p per minute...
Isn't it 10p per call, not per minute?

Now if its this price from a mobile then I believe that is good value for most people (except those with contracts).  Most mobile networks (for a geographical anyhow) charge 25p for the first 3mins that day (drops down after that) so it would be cheaper ringing the 101 instead of a geographical alternative (again except for those on contracts within inclusive minutes).
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005 at 11:13am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:13pm

Ah, so 10p per call can be mandated?
Next stop 087/084 to be geographic and bundled?

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:36pm

We will see whether I am right or not when it is finally implemented.

Knowing Ofcom well now and the devious way in which they deceive, and attempt to manipulate everything to eventually implement what they have already decided and agreed, despite any realities,  and knowing well the already existing abuses, I believe you will find that what they eventually intend is a per minute rate with call queuing, so as to pay for or at least subsidise the cost of operating police enquiry call centres, so that the cost will no longer come from the existing police budgets, if there are enough people dumb enough to call these numbers instead of using 999! Grin Cheesy Cry
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 3:52pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:01pm

Quote:
I believe you will find that what they eventually intend is a per minute rate with call queuing, so as to pay for or at least subsidise the cost of operating police enquiry call centres, so that the cost will no longer come from the existing police budgets, if there are enough people dumb enough to call these numbers instead of using 999! Grin Cheesy Cry

That is also my fear.

We must all respond to the Ofcom consultation outlining these concerns and pointing out that it would be totally unacceptable for another important number to be charged at non standard rates just as Ofcom is finally putting in place plans to stop this happening (in a few years time of course) with 0845 and 0870.

Also the problem of people needing to call from overseas and the need for the geographic alternative number needs to be highlighted.  And the difficulty of calling 101 sensibly at all or using voip.  What would be wrong with a single voip geographic number for the Police by the way? ???

Also you can't call 999/112 instead as they refuse to put through calls to do with your lost credit card, missing cat, vandalised car etc.  They only take calls about issues which are considered urgent like an assaut or burglary etc, etc.

It would be typical of dumb uk plod, Pito and the Home Office to conveniently forget that people need to call from overseas, especially about burglaries that happen while they are away.

These points all need to be highlighted in formal responses to Ofcom, Pito and to the Home Office (especially Ms Hazel Blears the Police Minister).

If I may quote the garbage spouted by the Home Office:-
"The expert advice of our stakeholders was to levy a charge to reduce the likelihood of the service being abused".  Well I consider having to pay a charge if I already have an all inclusive uk calls plan to be an abuse.  And not being able to call the police from overseas on a non emergency matter is an abuse!   Strange they seem to get over the abuse problem on 999/112.  Now where have I heard the "it ensures we don't get abusive calls before argument"? Isn't it with all the people who like to run 0870 numbers. Shocked
I can imagine Operations Director putting forward such an argument. Roll Eyes

Also what about the 5.5p per hour off peak rate with BT.  This 101 number is obviously going to cost more than that.  Had they not been greedy and made the charge a flat rate 5p BT minimum connection fee they might have got away with it.  Even though it would still have been unfair to those with inclusive calling plans etc.

Home Office
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:02pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:12pm

Having hunted around the Home Office and Pito websites it is clear that the whole consultation is being run by Ofcom on behalf of the Police and Pito and that neither have launched parallel consultations.

You should therefore give your views to Ofcom who will pass them on to the Home Office and Pito as appropriate.  Also Pito and the Home Office are bound to read what is in our responses.

If you need clarification on how the consultation on this issue is being handled by the Home Office and Pito why not call Elizaebeth Greenberg at Ofcom to check the position.  Her phone number is 020 7783 4109.

Or you can email her or formally respond to the consultation by sending an email to elizabeth.greenberg@ofcom.org.uk

The full consultation document is available here:-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/snen/snen.pdf

I see it says in the document that the Home Office has already consulted and found support for the number but we can still attack it in the Ofcom consultation by pointing out such a number and its charging structure contravenes that National Telephone Number Plan (please tell us where I can get a copy Tanllan), that the 101 number will not be common across Europe, that the 101 number cannot be accessed from overseas, that call costs should not be different from geographic phone numbers and that by the time the Police introduce it 50% of phone call traffic may be voip to voip - computer to computer.

So what is the Police's single Voip address for emergency and non emergency calls and if they haven't planned one then why not?  This would be a lot more relevant than bringing in a single non emergency PSTN number only 50 years too late. Roll Eyes Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:18pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:33pm

I still don't think that ofcom consultation is the one we need to raise our concerns/objections to unless of course it is too late and the consultation is done like it says it is.

I'm going to ring the homeoffice again on Monday and hopefully get a more clearer picture of whether it is over or still open.  I just didn't seem to get anywhere when I asked last time.

Failing that I'll do an FOI for a copy of the consultation or at least a link to it (whether it is too late or not) so we have an idea of what they have proposed, etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:54pm

bbb,

I don't think you would make a very good terrorist or fighter of a guerilla war. Wink  You like to play too obediently by the rules.  You have to remember that people like Ofcom and Pito only pay lipservice to public consultation and that in terms of getting our views taken into account this is war, although obviously only by peaceful non violent means involving the use of written correspondence to Ofcom, the media, MPs and so on.  We don't have to play by their rules which are deliberately designed to prevent there being any proper input into the process.  The whole nature of current Ofcom consultations with their ridiculously lengthy industry focused documents, horrid cover sheets and failure to provide a simple web comment form are deliberately designed to scare off Jo Bloggs from responding.

The fact that Ofcom has to consult on the number used gives a lot of ammunition for attack them on this issue because these 3 digit numbers cannot be called from overseas, cannot be called through indirect access codes or using dial through numbers (084/7 etc).  Those are all legitimate things to complain about.  It is almost as though this 101 number has been created assuming we are back in GPO monopoly days and that calls can only be made on the PSTN with one carrier.  Spain has had these 3 digit non emergency numbers for Police etc for years.  It is not exactly a revolutionary concept at the cutting edge of technological development.

This then leads on to the issue of no price competition to keep the costs of the calls down and what about those using voip access to the PSTN and what about support for PSTN consultation.

Whatever you put in your response it will be published verbatim on the Ofcom website and so will add to the debate and potentially be read by journalists.  I don't really give a stuff what narrow area the Ofcom consultation is offically about as the Home Office and Pity only seem to have previously consulted Policmen and telecoms carriers about the issues.  There is nothing found by a Search on the Pito or Home Office website for 101 that relates to a previous consultation on the issue.

In my view we must fight fire with fire.  Thinking we can only comment on the use of 101 compared to say 199 is to play into the hands of the Police, Pito and Ofcom.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 10:22pm

Quote:
...charging structure contravenes that National Telephone Number Plan (please tell us where I can get a copy Tanllan...

Hi NGM, is http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/261701.pdf of any use?
Well, no, it may not be if they ignore it, but you know what I mean.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 10:37pm

Quote:
Hi NGM, is http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/261701.pdf of any use?
Well, no, it may not be if they ignore it, but you know what I mean.

Tanllan,

I don't find this a very illuminating document.

Can you clarify in what manner you believe 101 charged at 10p per call contravenes the NTNP?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 10:51pm

Ah, a bit late this evening. You asked for the NTNP. I am not sure whether the charging does so contravene, but I am concerned at intention to ignore Europe (as reported by one who was at the Ofcom Numbering Forum / meeting). We now have charging on 1XX - and at PRS rates, but it is the inconsistency and confusion.
Will PM you.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Ofcom are Watching our Police 101 Discussions
Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:19pm

You will see from the below email received from Matt Peacock, Communications Director at Ofcom, today that Matt Peacock is either personally watching or has tasked staff members with watching what is being posted on this site.

You will see that he is fully aware of the discussion that I recently started regarding the new Ofcom consultation on the proposed new 101 national non-emergency number.  Perhaps members of staff in the Ofcom Communications Department even produce a journal each day of what is being discussed on these boards.

In many ways we should be flattered as at least it makes clear they take our views seriously as a threat to their own plans to spin public opinion in a direction that will best suit the business interests of the existing uk telecoms and broadcasting operators.

I suppose if we ourselves became as paranoid as Ofcom we might even begin to imagine that Ofcom had made arrangement to have our email and phone conversations tapped.  But there couldn't be any way for Ofcom to get such powers now could there................

You have been warned

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 31 October 2005 12:02
Subject: RE: Interesting Websites re Ofcom & Stephen Carter

You and I have exchanged many emails on these themes before, so I've nothing to add to our previous correspondence.

You may remember that I mentioned the Home Office Non-Emergency Number project to you a few months ago. You are mistaken on our role here - as some people have pointed out on the www.saynoto0870.com bulletin boards. However, it is worth responding to our consultation, as those views will help inform the Home Office's decision.

Regards

Matt

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #27 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:58am

I have been unable to get through to the number on that SNEN Newsletter link I provided.  It has been constantly engaged.

I have tried speaking to the helplines for both the homeoffice and the ODPM but neither had any idea about the SNEN.

I therefore have today resorted to requesting a copy of the consultation along with when it started, where it was published, etc via an FOI request to both the HomeOffice and the ODPM.

In a perfect world I shouldn't have to do FOI requests to find information on something that should be easily available via their websites especially a consultation that (in ofcom's words) has already finished and they won public support for.

At least ofcom publish their consultations on their website and their responses (albeit sometimes 9 months later).
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 12:04pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:55am

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4401870.stm

<<
Police forces in England and Wales must make a "quantum leap" to improve the way they deal with calls from the public, an official report has said.

People might have to wait days for an officer to respond to a call, said Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary. It said a comparison between the way police and the commercial sector handle contact with the public was "damning".

The Home Office said some steps to ease the pressure had been taken but there was "significant work to be done".

It stressed that pressure on the police should ease when the government introduces a national non emergency number which people can ring instead of 999 to report less urgent concerns, such as noisy neighbours.

Police in the UK receive around 67 million calls for assistance each year.

The HMIC inspected 14 forces in England and Wales, as well as two in Scotland which is outside its jurisdiction.

A third of forces had no call-handling strategy in place, the study found.

It also emerged that there was also a lack of overall strategy concerning the best way to set up call-handling centres.

[...]

But, referring to the introduction of a new telephone number to relieve pressure, she added: "The government has already begun work to improve the service that the public receive from the police."

[...]
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:58am

Quote:
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4401870.stm

<<[...]

But, referring to the introduction of a new telephone number to relieve pressure, she added: "The government has already begun work to improve the service that the public receive from the police."

[...]
>>

Training staff adequately might be a start. Cheshire Police's new call-"handling" centre did not know their county and national boundaries.  Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge