Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom Consults on 101 Police Number & Call Costs (Read 103,672 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Ofcom Consults on 101 Police Number & Call Cos
Reply #75 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 3:17pm

The 101 number will be 'trialed' later on in the year in Hampshire, Leicestershire, Northumbria, South Wales and South Yorkshire. So will the existing non-emergency numbers still work for each constabulary or will be forced to pay up if we decide to report a crime?

South Yorkshire Police use 0114 2202020, an easy to remember number which was put in place about ten years ago. Does this mean that this will be lost?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Ofcom Consults on 101 Police Number & Call Cos
Reply #76 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 3:20pm

Dave wrote on Mar 8th, 2006 at 3:17pm:
South Yorkshire Police use 0114 2202020, an easy to remember number which was put in place about ten years ago. Does this mean that this will be lost?

No I expect it will continue to work and this website will still have it but most marketing will instead be put in to promoting their 101 number.  I also bet the geographic phone number is no longer listed with directory enquiries. Smiley

Nobody seems to have yet been able to tell me if you work in London but your home is in Kent then how can you use 101 to make a non emergency phone call to Kent from your London office?  Surely 101 will inevitably only put you through to a London call centre.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2006 at 3:22pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Biased 101 report on BBC
Reply #77 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:15pm

So the true reason comes out.
The reason your charged for 101 is to stop people calling it. (sic)

~Edit by bbb_uk: Title amended
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:56pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Re: Biased 101 report on BBC
Reply #78 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:28pm

i also saw it and will keep dialing 999 you do not pay 10 p for that call  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:57pm by bbb_uk »  

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 12:22am

mc661 wrote on Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:15pm:
The reason your charged for 101 is to stop people calling it. (sic)

I thought they wanted 101 to stop people from calling 999 unncessarily.  So surely it at least needs to be free to act as competition for 999? Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:57pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bill

Reply #80 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:47am

Realising that requires a deductive thinking process - you forget that PITO was involved.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:58pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:52am

bill wrote on Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:47am:
Realising that requires a deductive thinking process - you forget that PITO was involved.

Anyone who watched last night's Panorama about the death of poor Mr Menenzes would realise that the preference of Policemen for following out ill thought out and ill considered pre made rules to the letter over the use of deductive thinking processes on the job (which an alarming number of ordinary Rozzers seems to be distinctly lacking in) is a common problem amongst uk Policemen.

The Police force needs to be restructured to work like the uk armed forces with a separate Officer class in charge of leading the ordinary coppers.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:59pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bill

Reply #82 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 12:02pm

I think you missed the point there NGM.  PITO is a civil service organisation, not part of the best (despite its faults) police service in the world.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:59pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #83 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 12:36pm

I think you miss the point that the majority of the PITO board is in fact made up of senior serving Police officers and Home Office senior staff who control Police policy so PITO only does the bidding of uk Police forces.  It would be just like the authoritarian mentality of the Police force to think that you will have to do as you are told and call their expensive number.  Also it is typically arrogant of the Police to claim that they aren't responsible for the cost of telephone calls.

See:- www.pito.org.uk/aboutPITO/organisation/board/index.htm

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:00pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 9:48pm

Your suspicions are totally unfounded as I now have a totally clean driving license points wise and also a driving license with no past driving offence form to declare at the magistrates court (not the same thing as just having no points on a license as it takes an unbroken run of no driving offences for 5 years to completely clear them off one's record for sentencing purposes at the magistrates court rather than the four to clear down points for speeding).  There have of course been a few close shaves in this time with suddenly spotting yellow boxes on unfamiliar roads at the last moment (especially the A2 in to London and Limehouse link tunnel both ways) but a very heavy application of the brakes has saved the day and/or the cameras may have run out of film.

My own attitude to ordinary coppers is determined by no less than four bad experiences in 25 years driving of driving (19 of them in 2 seat sports cars) of power crazed traffic cops who have been on a jealousy persecution trip against sports car drivers.  The last of these was last Christmas Eve around 7.30pm on my way over to my mother's house.  I entered the M25 at Junction 9 Leatherhead en route to M25 Junction 15 and half a mile later came across a huge logjam of cars stuck behind two marked Police cars about 400 yards apart.  The second of these two Police cars was probably travelling at about 68mph and I passed it slowly with no problem but when I reached the second travelling about 68mph to 71mph after playing the no passing game for about 2 miles I got really sick of this nonsense and so attempted to crawl past at about 74mph well within the ACPO speed limit +10% + 2mph tolerance.  Whereupon as I just began to inch past the Police car it speeded up to 75mph.

I momentarily tried accelerating more but then thought better of the entrapment that was clearly taking place so hit my brakes to fall in behind the Police car.  Wherupon flashing blue lights immediately went on.  I was so incensed at this rolling blockade of the motorway by a Police car for no reason that I asked why I had been stopped and if the Policeman didn't realise that having a huge bunching of traffic that could not pass him might cause a major pile up.  Whereupon I was subjected to some dirge about if he had his way the limit would be 50mph on the M25 all the time and it was only because he was a firearms cop rather than the traffic cop he used to be that he wasn't going to issue a speeding ticket.  Highly significant I think was the fact that this Policeman's partner never got out of the marked Police car which suggests to me that he thought his partner was in fact behaving like a stupid little prick.  I thought of making a formal complaint but unfortunately with the Police they always close ranks.

I have also been stopped by a Police car coming off Hyde Park Corner when I saw him the marked car pull in behind me and went at no more than 30mph for the next mile and a half whereupon he stopped me and incredibly accused me of speeding.  When I said I knew this wasnt' true I was then accused of being on drugs and when I asked for their PC numbers it was then suggested that a charge of dangerous driving against me would be arranged if I dared to make any formal complaint.  I did complain the next day to a local Police Inspector but as my father was Parliamentary Adviser to the Police Federation at the time it just wasn't going to be worth causing him embarassment by pursuing the complaint.

So while I am sure there are some very good Policemen who track down murderers and burglars to protect ordinary citizens one can't get away from the fact that the personality of quite a few Policmen tends to be that of the small minded dictator who enjoys petty rule enforcement against others for its own sake.  And no I don't put driving 10mph or 15mph over the speed limit in the same category of criminal offence as murder, whatever loony political claptrap our friends at BRAKE and elsewhere may try to come up with.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:01pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Wicked

Reply #85 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:43pm

Wicked wrote on Mar 9th, 2006 at 7:39pm:
Those are strangely vitriolic comments about people you don't know.

Am I alone is suspecting that you may have recently fallen foul of a speed camera whilst putting on your makeup?

So I wasn't far off then.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:02pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:48pm

Wicked wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:43pm:
So I wasn't far off then.

More like Way Off I would say. Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:03pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:59pm

mc661 wrote on Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:15pm:
~Edit by DaveM: Title amended

Dave I hate to point out that Biased has only one s and is spelt BIASED not BIASSED

Rule No 1 of making spelling corrections is surely to correct to the correct spelling. Wink Cheesy

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:04pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Wicked

Reply #88 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 9:56pm

Quote:
Dave I hate to point out that Biased has only one s and is spelt BIASED not BIASSED

Rule No 1 of making spelling corrections is surely to correct to the correct spelling. Wink Cheesy

Oops.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=biassed&ls=a

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 10:23pm

Wicked wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 9:56pm:

15 references for biased versus only 5 for biassed.  It appears biassed is permitted in North America but is not used in the UK.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge