Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One reason why I'll respond to Ofcom... (Read 22,302 times)
gdh82

One reason why I'll respond to Ofcom...
Oct 29th, 2005 at 6:53pm

I realise this isn't the most technical of responses and doesn't deal with many of the issues raised in the consultation, but I share the sentiment of the response below (cut and paste from Ofcom's site with personal details removed) and is my main motiviation for responding.

When people already pay extra to have free calls then it seems wrong in principle to have to then have to pay again for 0870/0845 etc!

What do others think about this?

Quote:
Having read of an impending deadline regarding a consultation document I thought I would put my penny's worth in regarding the use of 0870 and 0845 numbers. I have gone over to BT's Option 3 Service where for a monthly payment of £25 I get all my calls free. But, as it said in the fine print, there are "exceptions" and these numbers are 0870 and 0845, as well as others. As a result of calling computer helplines, banks and insurance companies from time to time I found that my direct debit to cover my quarterly bills has gone up to £65 a month. I now use the excellent "Saynoto0870" web site and generally I can find a "geographic" number. However, it has to be said that the message "NO RESULTS FOUND", (even when using a company name like the H F C Bank) comes up quite frequently On the other hand if I have found an alternative number and use it, for example, if I call the TISCALI switchboard and ask to be put through to their billing department I AM REFUSED and told I must use their 0870 as that is the only option. I would really like to see all those using 0870 and 0845 being legally bound to show an alternative "geographic" number and for this to be listed on literature, leaflets, letterheadings etc. The public should have a choice in calling the best number for them.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005 at 6:56pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

joe65

Re: One reason why I'll respond to Ofcom...
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 7:06pm

Totally agree.

You can probably refine this argument in your own version.

OfCom should have the NoTo0870 database declared a National Monument.

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 8:19pm

However, of course that sort of response will achieve precisely nothing, because it does not address the real issues of the abuses.

That is exactly why that is the type of simplistic response from Citizen Consumers that Ofcom likes. They can then easily claim - "This consumer clearly does not understand all the issues, so we can ignore their views completely". Then of course they do exactly that!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 8:57pm

Quote:
That is exactly why that is the type of simplistic response from Citizen Consumers that Ofcom likes. They can then easily claim - "This consumer clearly does not understand all the issues, so we can ignore their views completely". Then of course they do exactly that!

I fear you're right dorf.  It's only when the weight of such submissions  approaches public outcry (like eg. the Poll Tax),  that they are forced to move and not stick with the cosy agenda .   
But we musn't let that put anyone off responding, as each new person that feels sufficiently moved to respond, is another disciple for the cause.

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 10:22am

Quote:

Thanks for you replies.

I must urge Dorf to remember that whilst I appreciate your frustration on this subject we are on the same side! 

I don't pretend to having the expertise and knowledge that many of the superior users have but I have picked up quite a bit from this site.  Besides the response quoted above may not be calling for an end to revenue sharing on non-premium rate numbers nor criticising deviations from the National Telephone Numbering Plan, but it does, however, address the central problem that

0870/0845 numbers are a more costly rip-off!!

From what I understand this applies to virtually all callers whatever tariff they are using, but it clearly applies to people like myself who already pay extra for free local and national calls but are then expected to pay again for the privelege of calling 0870/0845!!!

In any case, it's perhaps unrealistic to expect the public at large in their hundreds and thousands to appreciate the finer details involved in Number Translation Services and Non Geographic Numbers.  And, as I said in my initial post, I realise that this doesn't address other issues raised in this consultation, but in my opinion this response is nevertheless a equally valid response and true to many of the concerns of users of this site.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 3:47pm

Hi gdh82,

I am sorry. I did not intend to discourage that type of response or any response. All responses are important, and I would be the first to applaud them.

All I meant was that anyone taking the easy option and writing a few words only without making the key points is making the type of response which Ofcom likes! They are so cunning that they capitalise on the simplistic approach. That is really what this whole scam is about. It is deliberate exploitation of those who are so busy or so trusting that they do not realise what is going on. That is what Ofcom want to continue.

Particularly since these responses are published, the type of response which Ofcom do not like is that which addresses the detail of the issues and exposes their deceipt, indolence and total failure to meet their responsibilities under the Telecommunications Acts to protect the interests of the Citizen Consumer. That hits them where it hurts because in reality they know that they are failing to exercise their statutory duty. It is the reasons for which they are failing to do this, although they well know in reality that they are deliberately avoiding their responsibilities, that is at the heart of this debacle. This is why they are now revising the original National Telephone Numbering Plan (NTNP) to allow all the abuses which previously were contravening it. Their approach is that whatever abuses the telcos (one of course in particular) come up with they go along with it and now they alter the NTNP to permit it. This is protecting the revenue streams of the telcos (most of all those revenues which are morally questionable) and of one telco in particular. That is the very opposite of what the remit of Ofcom is supposed to be - protecting the interests of the Citizen Consumer.

For responses to be effective at all they must emphasize this at the heart of the argument. This what they hate most, principally because it raises the key question - why should this be; why would they be doing the opposite of what their remit is? The clear conclusion "why" is the principal issue which they wish to avoid, since it has clearly illegal and criminal implications.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 5:12pm

Quote:
I am sorry. I did not intend to discourage that type of response or any response. All responses are important, and I would be the first to applaud them. 

Thanks for the explanation, Dorf, and for the apology even though I'm much thicker skinned than that!  Wink

However, Ofcom being Ofcom, wouldn't you say that they could equally ignore a more informed response as a less informed one?  And maybe I'm naive, but I can't (or don't want) to believe Ofcom has an underlying motivation to protect telco's revenue streams - this would render the whole consultation just a pointless excercise

Leaving that aside, are you saying, you would encourage all responses to include reference to the fact that Ofcom has failed to meet its duty to protect citizens by not adhering to the original National Telephone Numbering Plan.

Surely there other key issues too?

What I'm getting at, perhaps this forum should develop a clear, accessible and succinct thread called something like "Guide to Responding to the 0870 Consultation".  This could be a resource which some of us could refer to but which also we could also add our own contributions when responding.

Such a resource could also be utilised as part of a mass e-mailout that I've suggested in another thread.

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:46pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:51pm

Hi gdh82,

I agree that Ofcom will ignore as much as they possibly can of all responses. In my opinion, although you seem to wish to refute this,  the key issue every respondent should hit them with is their blatant and clearly premeditated failure to meet their responsibilities under the Telecommunications Acts to protect the interests of the Citizen Consumer. This is supposed to be their principal responsibility and instead of even attempting to achieve this they make all their decisions to protect the revenue streams of the telcos instead, (one in particular) which is the very opposite of what they are supposed to be there to do!

It is no longer an issue that they do not adhere to the NTNP, since their strategy has now become to change it  frequently specifically to allow all the further abuses which materialise; it is therefore now becoming meaningless. Standardisation and control is above all other things a matter of consistency and discipline. When any supposed "standard" becomes totally volatile it is no longer a standard and ceases to have any purpose. Anarchy and barbarism then reign. Indeed this is the natural cycle of all civilisations as they collapse, as Gibbons exposed so adequately.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 12:41am

Quote:
 the key issue every respondent should hit them with is their blatant and clearly premeditated failure to meet their responsibilities under the Telecommunications Acts to protect the interests of the Citizen Consumer. This is supposed to be their principal responsibility and instead of even attempting to achieve this they make all their decisions to protect the revenue streams of the telcos instead, (one in particular) which is the very opposite of what they are supposed to be there to do!

Dorf,

You and I are as of one mind on the issue of how Ofcom are failing Parliament (that is all MPs in Parliament compared to Tessa Jowell who we know actually runs the show on telecoms but then pretends letters sent to her by MPs must instead be passed on direct to Ofcom as it allegedly only accounts officially to the whole of Parliament!) and thus in turn uk citizens and consumers who Parliament told Ofcom were its primary concern.

I am interested in your point about one dial up ISP in particular being affected if the 0845 revenue share scamming was ended at the same time as 0870.  Do you by any chance mean AOL where Ofcom Communications Director Matt Peacock used to work? Shocked  You surely have to mean either them or  the Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange ISP?

It really is shocking how Ofcom has been hijacked by the interests of the telecoms companies and even the FSA is nowhere near as bad.  For instance if one makes a complaint to the FSA about something they have done it is subjected to very thorough and serious internal investigation at a high level but make such a complaint to Jackie Caspary and her mates in the Ofcom contact centre and it is effectively laughed off and dismissed. Shocked

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 2:00am

No NGM, I was not referring to an ISP or any ISPs. I was referring to a telco. This is all about the protection of revenue streams of telcos.

ISPs collecting revenue from very long dial-up internet calls on 0845 in my opinion should be forced to a special category of 09 with an appropriate charge rate, since this is in reality a Premium use. I believe the 0844 gambit is just yet another fudge to avoid doing the correct thing.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:07am

Quote:
No NGM, I was not referring to an ISP or any ISPs. I was referring to a telco. This is all about the protection of revenue streams of telcos.

Dorf,

Surely you cannot mean BT for it is none other than BT, who after years of milking the 0845 and 0870 cash cows, made a very clear submission to Ofcom in the previous consultation stating that they believed all 0845 and 0870 revenue share should now be ended by Ofcom and the call prices for 0845 and 0870 returned to geographic rates.

The only deficiency in their proposal was recommending that 0844 and 0871 revenue share be retained, since whilst I would allow revenue sharing at 1p to 10p per minute on phone calls per se to continue, for those that felt they needed it for genuine micro payment services, I would force all such companies to switch to 09 and be subject to ICSTIS regulation, a queuing ban and hopefully the addition of call price announcements. Of course the useless OfcoN have absurdly suggested that 0871 changes to ICSTIS regulation but does not have to change prefix to be an 09 series of numbers.

One of the scandals under the current Ofcom NTS setup is that if you only want to legitimately share revenue at 1p to 10p per minute, to provide a true added value service whilst not hiding the revenue share, you currently have to do it on an 084 or 087 number, unfortunately also cynically used by most uk scam call centres providig no value added services at all.

So the excellent dialthough call services provided by services like http://www.dialaround.co.uk or http://www.bestminutes.co.uk (essential for customers on Wholesale Line Rental products who have their indirect access to services like 1899 and 18185 blocked off) have to use 08 prefixed numbers for their 1p to 10p per minute rates even though they do just as happily use 09 prefixed numbers for their rates above 10p per minute.  This is because the bankrupt and corrupted variation of the NTNP implemented by Ofcom actually forces you to use 084 and 087 special services numbers at 10p per minute or below.  There is no 09 number series available for a 1p to 10 per minute revenue share. Shocked

One of the few other true value added 087 services I am aware of that is not a dial though discount call service is fax to email and voice to email and again it seems fair that the companies concerned should be able to charge something extra for this service if they want to but again a device to make the caller aware of the revenue sharing involved must be provided.  I suppose because 09 numbers have such a generally bad image I might be prepared to see 1p to 15p per minute revenue shares allowed to move to a number prefix range starting 04 or 06 (seemingly unused at present) and the education of the public that these numbers supply not adult services but value added telecoms services of one kind or another where they know the call cost is the payment mechanism.

But 084 and 087 must be returned to geographic call rates and as soon as is humanly possible rather than in 2 or 4 years time as Ofcom want.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 9:11am by N/A »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:54am

NGM, as you say all of these services should be and could be within 09, but appropriate bands of charge in specific sub-categories need to be established.

I would point out that, because BT and Ofcom knew that BT were under attack, BT seemed to suggest certain improvements to 0870 and 0845 which might please consumers. However it is my belief knowing them and their Ofcom chums as I do that they appeared to suggest this only because prior to this they had had long discussions with Ofcom first and this is what they had decided to do together to appear to be "snow white".

This was however in reality a carefully and cunningly thought out strategy, since the trick was to introduce recorded announcements where 0870s were used as Premium numbers (thus allowing the scam to continue as before) and eventually moving 0845 abuses to 0844 or another 08 category, after an as-long further delay as possible. In other words smoke and mirrors so that the rip-off business could carry on as before, with other 08 categories as well, but the simplistic public would be fooled into thinking that BT were on their side!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:58am by dorf »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 9:17am

Quote:
This was however in reality a carefully and cunningly thought out strategy, since the trick was to introduce recorded announcements where 0870s were used as Premium numbers (thus allowing the scam to continue as before) and eventually moving 0845 abuses to 0844 or another 08 category, after an as-long further delay as possible. In other words smoke and mirrors so that the rip-off business could carry on as before, with other 08 categories as well, but the simplistic public would be fooled into thinking that BT were on their side!

I think there is much in what yoy say Dorf but it also seems that BT is not the only telco or ISP that Ofcom is secretly in bed with due to now having former senior empoyees of the said company working at senior level at Ofcom.  The same is undoubtedly true of BT, AOL and NTL plus numerous other telcos if only I had access to the full CVs of all senior Ofcom staff.

If I had my way I would have very specific limits on the total proportion of telecoms professionals who could work at Ofcom or hold Ofcom senior management positions or sit on its Board.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge