Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BBC article stating 0870 to be national rate (Read 23,574 times)
mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: BBC article stating 0870 to be national rate
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 1:39pm

They wernt saying anything about call costs this morning 6am-8.30am 7th nov.
I think she was going to say somthing about it before being interupted by nicky campbell.

08700 100 500 calls ...... and now onto the business report.

Finally had someone from points of view contact me about my 'comment' about POV using 0870, they said the call was being recorded and asked me to repeat my complaint again. So they maybe playing it on the tv.. yeah right.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 1:44pm

Quote:
My mobile operator is Orange (Virgin tariff), and their 0870 charge is 10p per minute, 24x7.

Actually, that is Virgin's (and Orange's OVP) tariff for 0845 numbers.

In fact, OVP Virgin is one of the cheapest ways to phone 0870 - the same as ordinary landline and same network numbers - 15p/min for first 5 min a day, then 5p/min.

There is a paradox here, that if someone intends to make 5 minutes each of calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers, they can save 50p by calling the 0845s first. [5 x 10 + 5 x 5; compared to 5 x 15 + 5 x 10]

So I suggest that nobody complains to Virgin about OVP tariffs.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 1:46pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 2:36pm

GeographicalMan & Andy9
Thanks for correcting me (and Orange!) on the 0870 tariffs.  Yes, Virgin now admit they were wrong on two occasions this am when they told me it was 10p/min.  Of course, they no longer offer my Orange/Virgin PAYG tariff any longer, but (fair to them) encourage me to hang on to it.

BTW, could anyone please indicate what the other big UK mobile operators charge for 0870?

Thanks

Sonny

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 3:07pm

Quote:
BTW, could anyone please indicate what the other big UK mobile operators charge for 0870?

O2 contracts, and the 100 minutes package on their payg SIM, have 0800, 0844, 0845, 0870 numbers from the inclusive minutes, but not 0871.

Some old Orange contracts (Everyday50?) include them.

Other charges vary depending on the contract, and it is often quite difficult to find the detail.

On a T-mobile off-peak contract a couple of years ago, I discovered 10p/minute, but this was not in literature with the SIM, or available in the shops. When I eventually spoke to their head office, they said it was on the website. I was not online then. They sent me a photocopy of the widely available leaflet about it.

This was when and why I started going back through old statements and bills collecting geographic numbers.

Just an example, but don't always expect fast and clear answers when half of a company's staff don't know.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 12:30am

BBC Editorial guidelines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/news/

<<
0870 Numbers

Ofcom is consulting on new proposals which could alter the way in which some 0870 numbers are used. This consultation will be completed in December 2005.

The BBC uses 0870 numbers for a range of purposes, including some phone-ins and audience information lines. The BBC is currently considering Ofcom’s proposals. It will be responding to the Ofcom consultation. For the avoidance of doubt the use of 0870 numbers are not “banned” and there is currently no change of policy over the BBC’s use of such numbers.

However it is important to give the audience as much relevant information as possible, when including an 0870 number in a BBC programme, website or service.

Any programme or site using 0870 numbers should include the following information (as a graphic for television and online and verbal announcement on radio): “ calls cost no more than 8p a minute “ .

It is not recommended that any programme should change their numbers at this time. If any programme is considering doing so, they should consult Editorial Policy in advance.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 4:51am

Something tells me that BBC are going to ask that 0870 be kept the same and nothing done.

And going by what they wrote here I do believe they will use an 0844 costing 5ppm all the time if they are forced to migrate their numbers.
Quote:
“calls cost no more than 8p a minute“

I believe we should write to them over this statement as it is clearly untrue.  As we all know calls cost more than 8ppm from non-BT landlines and may cost upto 40ppm from some mobile networks so at the very, very least it should be something like:-
Quote:
“calls cost no more than 8p a minute from a BT landline.  Costs from other networks will vary“
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 4:52am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:20am

Quote:
BBC Editorial guidelines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/news/

<<
0870 NumbersAny programme or site using 0870 numbers should include the following information (as a graphic for television and online and verbal announcement on radio): “ calls cost no more than 8p a minute “

It seems more emails are needed to the BBC's Director of Editorial Policy Stephen Whittle, advising him that calls to 0870 numbers from mobile phones can cost up to 50p per minute and that calls to 0870 from BT Payphones cost 11p per minute and thus the statement he has prepared on the matter is inaccurate.

I suggest you email:-

stephen.whittle@bbc.co.uk

with cc to:-

mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk (Director General)

and

michael.grade@bbc.co.uk (Chairman of the Board of Governors)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge