Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OUCH! (Read 6,157 times)
steamer05

OUCH!
Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:57am

Re: my Savastores / Watford Electronics enquiry

Thank you for the response Dave, even if it was a little harsh on a newbie! (The harshest response I have ever had from a e-based enquiry.) I am sorry if it caused you unecessary trouble and distress, sounds as if it is a common problem.
However, I HAD done some fruitless basic enquiries via Google, Dogpile etc. I  HAD tried 'Search to find an alternative number' but there is no mention of Watford Electronics or Savastores in either the Verified or Unverified database. Unfortunately I missed the link to the 'Search' facility at the top of the Discussion Forums page, although it IS mentioned in the 'Please read...' message which I did not read fully (RTFM!). Hence I also missed the postal address and postcode requirement. (As regards 'no basic information about a Company' though, I thought that 'Electronics' was a bit of a give away!)
Mea Culpa.  Embarrassed
I have subsequently found numerous links via the Search the Forums link. Thank you.
As it appears to be a common problem, would it not be useful, maybe, in avoiding mistakes such as I (and other newbies) made, to have a Link straight to Search the Forums on the SAYNOTO0870 homepage?
Regards
Chris P

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: OUCH!
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 12:55pm

Not a bad idea.

Maybe just mentioning on the database search page here something along the lines:-

If you unable to find the company you are after, please also try the Unverified List and search the forum here.

Maybe put '
Choose a Category to Browse
' and '
List all companies beginning with
' on the same line next to each other (but nicely spaced out) and then put the above mentioned text below these two?

Just a thought!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 2:30pm

Thanks for the comments steamer05. I've updated the guidelines as the new forum software now searches back 1 year, by default. At the top, the Search link needs renaming to Search Forums, as before with the previous forum software.

As far as any post goes, any information is useful. Website address and postal address are the first two, which you can get from the internet if you don't have it on paperwork from the company.

Basically, we're after clues. Keeping the clues to oneself turns this into some sort of guessing game.  Roll Eyes

It would also be useful to know what you've already done to look for the number so others don't go over the same steps.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 2:55pm

Dave,

Can I make a suggestion for your 'Guide to finding geographical numbers' here?

In point 3, you mention:-
Quote:
3. Post a request
If you have no joy finding what you're looking for you can make a request on the forum here.

Before you do so, please search to see if the organisation has been talked about before. Select
at the top of the page....
I wondered if it would be better to have the 'Search Forums' as a link to the actual search page itself here as well.  That way they could just click on link to get to the search forum.

Update:

Just noticed its called 'Search Forum' anymore but just 'Search'.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005 at 2:57pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 3:05pm

Thanks bbb_uk, I've made those ammendments. I've also changed the site instructions to take account of the new search facility which automatically goes back 1 year.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge