Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Website Fails to Load First Time with YaBB V2 (Read 8,614 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Website Fails to Load First Time with YaBB V2
Dec 13th, 2005 at 10:31am

Has anyone repeatedly had the same problem as me with this website since the new YaBB V2 software was implemented?

The problem I am getting is that the first time I click a link in an email I receive saying there are new messages in a thread I am subscribed to it takes me to Internet Explorer but the page then nearly always (but not always) stalls while it is loading up on a blank screen.  I then have to close Internet Explorer and click the link again in the email and the second time Internet Explorer always opens properly on that thread.

Also if I simply open Internet Explorer manually and type www.saynoto0870.com the same thing usually happens with the browser just stalling at a blank page but if I then type www.saynoto0870.com into the browser again the site loads up.  This never used to be a problem when the site was running on the old YaBB V1.4 software.

The other thing I don't like about YaBB V1.4 is the fact that it always tries to construct a complicated nested quote sequence so that if you hit the Quote button it not only Quotes the previous poster you want Quoted but also anyone he had Quoted in his post.  But can I suggest this nested quoting is not want most people want and that wanting to quote not only the person you are replying to but also the person he/she was quoting is not a very usual situation.  I really wish there was a Quote and a Quote All button so that people could use the Quote function they want instead of having to manually strip out the nested quote sequence, which is a real pain.  Also many forum users seem to not know how to do this.

What does everybody else regularly visiting this site think?
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2005 at 10:31am by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Website Fails to Load First Time with YaBB V2
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 11:27am

Hmmm.  A previous reply to this thread by bbb_uk has now disappeared.  I will take it that this is the result of faulty forum software since if there was any post which it made sense to delete from a forum management point of view it was my original post.

After doing some tests based on the now deleted response from bbb_UK in this thread I can confirm that problems with this forum stalling when entering the site at www.saynoto0870.com or when clicking on any links in emails from the forum notifying new posts is caused by clearing Internet Explorer's cache of temporary internet files.  I do find this rather hard to understand as with any other web forum I belong to it would only be clearing out all cookies that would create such an issue, so there is clearly something odd about YaBB V2.1 and its operation.

The relevant item is in the Tools/Internet Options/Advanced menue of IE6 and is the tick box option saying "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed".  I imagine that this has the same effect on an automated basis as the manual "Delete Files" button available under Tools/Internet Options.  But having the advanced menu option ticked as well simply runs this facility every time one exits the IE6 browser.

As a person with a large amount of antispyware and antvirus utilities running I naturally though that setting this option to on was the prudent thing to run and none of the other web forums I visit have exhibited any probelms as a result of this.  However it does seem that YaBB V2.1 relies on saving information in the Temporary Internet Files which it looks up the next time you start IE6 and visit the site.  Although this is clearly very bad practice (temporary IE6 files may be cleared by the user at any time and doing so should not cause a problem) it is clearly what the YaBB V2.1 developers have done.

I suppose I now have to make a post at www.yabbforums.com and hope they get round to doing something.  In the interim I either have to run on an insecure basis or click the Refresh button about 3 times every time to get taken to a new post in a thread. Angry

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:41pm

Just to report that I am pleased to say that all the problems with the website taking ages to load pages and so on for some posts have now been eliminated and the whole forum runs really quickly.

Is this as a result of a fix from YaBB becoming available or have the forum management transferred the whole site to a new faster server?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 3:54pm

Since I so often seem to be a critic of this site these days I just wanted to say well done to Daniel and/or anyone else involved in resolving all the problems that were occurring with the site running so slowly.

The site is now veritably wizzing along and I find I am jumping to threads from links in update emails at lightening speeds.
Well done to all concerned in solving this problem. Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006 at 3:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge