Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unsolicited reverse charge billing (Read 28,407 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Unsolicited reverse charge billing
Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:25pm

I had trouble with Vodafone recently.  I got my bill at the beginning of December, which showed a reverse charge text.  I disputed with Vodafone who said they cannot do anything about it, and I would have to take it up with the company concerned.  Vodafone then gave me their details, and I had to contact an 0870 number to complain!!  I protested strongly, however Vodafone said that it was the only way to take up the matter as they have no other number.

I called the company concerned, and it had an answerphone, so left a message to call me back.  Guess what, they didn't!!

I then called a week later, just before Christmas and complained.  I also stated that not only do I want to be refunded the cost of the £1.50 text, which he agreed would only be charged if I had sent a text in the first place, which is obvious from my vodafone bill that I didn't, but I also wanted to be re-imbursed for the phone call to the 0870 number.  The guy told me I was calling a "toll free" number, and then discovered I was chatting to a Canadian!!

He gave me the company e-mail address, and took mine, in order to update me, but haven't received anything yet.

Since the company concerned has been very unhelpful I have no hesitation about releasing their details on this site.

The are called Zime, and their text code is 87239.
Their number is 08701 262122.
Their e-mail is zimepl@zim.biz

Has anyone else here had any trouble with them?

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: Unsolicited reverse charge billing
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:32pm

Canadian company (sorry, corporation) over which ICSTIS has no control, but pesumably they do over Voda; so come on ICSTIS stop contributing to the reputation of RIP-OFF Britain (
ROB
).

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:34pm

ps - what a shame that www.zim.biz fails. Grrr Angry

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:41pm

But surely since they operate in the UK, ICSTIS do have powers to stop receiving revenue from the UK, and using UK numbers.  Of course if I was making a call to a Canadian short text, or a Canadian premium rate number then obviously things would be different, but they obviously had to arrange a premium rate number here in the UK, for such purposes, and arrangements with the mobile networks to charge.

This certainly proves in the other thread how vodafone like ripping people on PAYG off.  Had I been on PAYG and hardely ever made any calls, or checked balance, this would go unnoticed, but as it was on my itemised bill, I was able to take action.

With Vodafone passing the buck to me, and making it my dispute with Zim, they are washing their hands of the matter, and I am trying to get £1.50 plus the cost of 0870 calls (which admittedly I made with my O2 inclusive minutes) which is a trivial amount, and they rely on the many that give up or believe that £1.50 is too little to worry about to outweigh the few who do pursue the matter like myself.

Even now I am waiting for an e-mail from them, and will probably have to call up again.  I think maybe this is for ICSTIS

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:53pm

zim.biz is indeed unavailable. but looking at the register they are registered to Zim mobile in Canada, and have a contact phone number of +16137271397, which will probably be cheaper to call than 0870 (or I can use my just dial on my O2 inclusive minutes)

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:54pm

Sorry Embarrassed, Shiggaddi, you are absolutely right. I was thinking (too late on a Sunday evening for coherent thought) that it was the Canadian-ness that foiled ICSTIS, rather than the usual British scamming.
What about Voda being the agent for the Canadian corp - and therfore liable to you? After all banks have to refund D/Ds when asked...

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:12am

A very good point about Vodafone being liable.

I have a contract with vodafone to provide mobile phone services, and with A&L to provide banking services.

If A&L are asked by a company who I do not have any contact with whatsoever to set up a direct debit, and help themselves to my money then I'd complain to A&L and they would refund this money, and the company concerned would be under heavy investigation from trading standards, banking ombudsman, and any other regulatory bodies.  I would ask A&L to investigate why this money was taken, and for what service, and if it appears they set themselves up to deliberately con people they would be in serious trouble.

Yet Vodafone wash their hands of any liability despite having an arrangement with Zim to collect money on their their behalf as an agent.  However when one of the people who has been asked to pay queries this, instead of telling Zim that they won't collect the money, they collect it from me anyway, and still pay Zim the money because they asked for it, despite the complaint from me.  Since Vodafone see it as my problem, and something I should sort out with Zim, they don't take notice of the complaint and allow it to continue.

And of course people on PAYG who don't get any itemised billing and don't keep tabs on what credit is left won't even know they've been conned.

You might get good service from the other side of the pond with American/Canadian culture, but when these companies decide to operate overseas they certainly like to fit in with local customs such as Rip off Britain!!

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:50am

Their website is http://www.zimepl.com

UK address here http://www.zimepl.com/contact/contact.html

A few complaints about them at www.grumbletext.co.uk search under Zim.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:58am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 11:35am

I got a reply back saying that cheque processing usually takes 2 weeks, and to allow longer to receive the money.

Having looked at my calls made from my O2 handset, I have found I made the call on the 21st December, so I sent them back an e-mail stating that I have waited 3 weeks so far, and also billed them for my time at £10 per hour, plus the cost of my 0870 calls.

Wonder what they will make of that!!

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 3:23pm

Got a rather insulting reply back today through the post.

"Thank you for using PC Modding Centre services.  We are sorry that you did not find this program useful.  As promised, eclosed is the refund that we discussed.

Feel free to contact us at any time

Sincerely,

Customer Service
zimepl@zim.biz"

Well, firstly the amount we discussed was more than £1.50, as we discussed the fact that 0870 numbers are premium rate, and I was paying 8p per minute to call them, however the cheque enclosed was only for £1.50, but if it wasn't for my O2 minutes, I'd have spent a further £1.20 chasing it up!!!

Also, I didn't use PC Modding Centre services, and of course I didn't find the program useful.  I was sent an unsolicited text message, and charged for it.

Does anyone know where I might stand legally in recovering the remainder of the money that I feel I should be entitled to?  They have refunded me for the text message, but not for the 0870 call.  Should I take this up with ICSTIS, or would they just say that they're only obliged to refund me for the text, and no other costs, and as they've done the minimum necessary, anything else I receive from them would only be a goodwill gesture, rather than something I'm entitled to.

IP Logged

rydaway

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 5:56pm

If you feel strongly about your case, Shiggaddi, you can make a claim for your monies through the Small Claims Court.  All can be done on line by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp.

Good luck.

rydaway

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 8:30pm

Interesting this, I had the same problem with Zamano and O2 recently, only one reverse charged text at £1, but no-one would accept responsibility. 0871 number for Zamano, emails bounced back saying post box full, surprise surprise. O2 refused to entertain the fact that THEY had billed me without any authority. Eventually, after much emailing with O2 they agreed to refund the £1 but said there was no way of stopping it happening again. ICSTIS of course refused any help, it was between me and MY provider. It appears to be a legal ripoff, yes another example of Rip Off Britain.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:24pm

Right, so perhaps we need ICSTIS, Ofcom, Otelo and the whole sorry bunch to accept that mobiles can (should, MUST) be opted out of such billing scams as the default.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 5:40pm

I "don't do texting" (i.e. if I receive one, I ignore it and it stays in the 'IN' box without ever being viewed).

Am I correct in assuming that I am immune from such scams then?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 2:54pm

Before I had a chance to compose another e-mail to zim, they e-mailed back to confirm that they would comply with my wishes, and also asked if I had the cheque for £1.50, to which I e-mailed back to confirm that I did.

They then said that the remaining £11.44 (£10 for using an hours of my time, and 18 mins to 0870 at 8p per minute) would also be paid.

They also apologised for the fact that I had waited 3 weeks for my first cheque and blamed the Christmas post for the delay (although my letter was dated 4 January, and was sent 1st class)

Anyway, as soon as the cheque arrives, I'll consider the matter closed.  Just wish more people would take a stand against companies like this, because their costs of settling my claim are about 10 times the amount they would have taken in profit had I just remained silent.

And Heinz, I'm not sure you are immune, because when I send a text and receive a delivery report, it confirms it reached the other persons phone (ie they have signal, and it's switched on), not that they have opened the text message.

Also, I don't even remember receiving this reverse charge text message, although I have received junk texts on my phones at various times, and just delete it, but they've never been reverse charged texts.

I did have a dispute with t-mobile last year who sent out a whole load of unsolicited texts from their t-zones wap site, costing around £30.  It took a while to dispute the matter, but it was only resolved when they realised the only way I could have requested these texts would have been to be logged into WAP at the time, and some of the texts were sent during the day, when WAP wasn't in the free minutes.  After they realised I wasn't on WAP on any occasion when a text was received, they re-imbursed me and after I told them that I have also had to write a letter to complain and waste alot of time, they agreed to give me a months free line rental as a gesture of goodwill worth £13.99.

So the story is, nobody is immune from reverse charge scamming, and it's even worse if you're on PAYG, as the average customer probably doesn't check their balance until they run out of credit, and won't know that some of the £10 they bought last time was used to fund an unsolicited reverse charge text.  I only found out, cos I have itemised billing on all my phones and they're all contract phones!!
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2006 at 3:03pm by Shiggaddi »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge