Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Definition of 'Premium rate' (Read 11,057 times)
trevord

West Sussex, UK
Definition of 'Premium rate'
Feb 11th, 2006 at 3:51pm

Dave wrote on Feb 8th, 2006 at 3:41pm:
... a premium rate number should be clearly marked as such. That is, it should be prefixed 09. This includes any NGN which gives such benefits as revenue and/or routing services. Just because it costs less than 10p/min doesn't make it acceptable to say that it's not premium rate. This is because premium rate isn't a definitive rate or a call that costs over so much, but a way of paying for a service through telephone charges.

As I said, this is now done covertly by the current 084/087 setup, where service providers don't have to mention the cost of their numbers and can mislead their customers.

The above quote from Dave in another thread prompts me to ask a couple of questions which I've been meaning to ask to assist me with a response to an organisation which admits they get revenue from 0870 while maintaining that the number is not a 'premium-rate' number:

1. Does anyone know of an authorative definition of 'premium rate' that clearly encompasses 0870, 0845, etc.?

2. I've read severla times on this board that BT have now effectively admitted that 0870 is a premium rate call.  Can anyone please remind me where that admission is?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Definition of 'Premium rate'
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 11:24pm

This is BT's call price page:

http://www.bt.com/btcom_redirectLink.jsp?action=redirectLink&targetLinkID=PIS_UK...

At one stage, this included the sentence, "Calls to 0845 and 0870 premium rate numbers are charged..." However, as you can see, it now reads, "Calls to 0845 and 0870 number ranges are charged..."

Normally you won't get them to admit that these are premium rate numbers.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 12:09am

Thanks jrawle.

Yes, I have seen that page and I had thought that it once referred to them as premium rate numbers, but it didn't seem to now.  I thought I had imagined it, but I'm glad I hadn't.  Smiley

I thought that some messsages on this site had indicated that BT had elsewhere admitted that these are premium rate numbers.  Would be grateful for advice from anyone else.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:48pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

crabtree

Wigan
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:45am

With hindsight, and don't we all have regrets, it's always handy to have screen grabbing software to have a permanent copy of the original. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:50pm

Definition of 'Premium' from Oxford English Dictionary
Quote:
noun (pl. premiums) 1 an amount paid for a contract of insurance. 2 a sum added to an ordinary price or other payment. 3 before another noun (of a commodity) superior and more expensive.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:03pm

Thanks Dave.  Hadn't thought of looking there!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:32pm

I prefer the (light blue) definition of the phrase 'premium rate' rather than the single word 'premium'.

premium rate, adjective,describes a telephone number or service that costs more to call than a normal telephone number
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:33pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

kk

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 10:03am

Hi H
Do you have a reference for the quote or is it yours.

------------------------------------

(amended)  Thanks OMY  KK
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2006 at 12:53pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 12:06pm

kk,
Surely the link takes you to the source??
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

IP Logged

davis

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:54pm

Try the phone book. My phone book is dated 2004/2005 (ditched the new one as more probably has geo number if company moves to 0870 etc) and on page 15  states: Special codes: Some UK codes are not area codes. They are used for mobile phones, pagers, personal numbers and premium rate numbers. One would assume from this that BT include the 08 range as premium rate! My book is a welsh edition and as some pages are in Welsh page number will differ in english version.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge