Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why is Discussion Dieing on This Website (Read 11,939 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Why is Discussion Dieing on This Website
Feb 16th, 2006 at 4:44pm

I notice that this will be the first post in this section of the forum today after 16 hours!

What has happened?  It seems to me that various things that have happened with the site lately including the disgraceful new FreePay banners are driving people away including at least two key forum members.

Also I get the feeling that having put all that effort in to responding to Ofcom and with Ofcom now engaging in their usual process of perpetual stonewalling and delay that some forum members are beginning to lose heart.  For the forum to be this quiet on a weekday is unheard of.  It has only tended to happen previously on some summer weekends for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006 at 4:46pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bill

Re: Why is Discussion Dieing on This Website
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 7:55pm

I think the 'mysterious' deletion of a number of posts and a number of alternative number entries (does the word 'westie' ring a bell?) has made people realise corruption is not limited to the political 'elite'.

I am sure my membership will be summarily terminated as a result of this post and, if it is, I suggest other members close their accounts and join NGM's new forum instead.

For those of you reading this post before it is deleted, it's been nice knowing you. 

Farewell. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:15pm

bill wrote on Feb 16th, 2006 at 7:55pm:
For those of you reading this post before it is deleted, it's been nice knowing you.  

Farewell. Lips Sealed

Dave, DaveM and admin (Daniel) all seem to have mysteriously gone quiet at once.  Of course there have been those who have suggested that the two men in white coats and the rarely posting forum Owner may in fact all be one and the same person? Wink

Its interesting that Forum Admin is very regularly logged in but does not very often post.  I'm not sure quite what that says exactly.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2006 at 4:57am by N/A »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 4:09am

I used to post a lot, but I gave up caring (sorry I meen posting) when my posts were being edited/censored/deleted.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:04am

I don't wish to detract from the serious issue of deleted posts but there are other reasons for this forum going quiet.

I, like many others I'm sure, put in extra time and effort visiting this website in the run-up to the main NTS consultation.  This involved discussing the relevant issues, keeping informed of other responses and trying to help raise awareness of the consultation itself.  Now the deadline has passed I think it is entirely natural that there's less activity on these forums.  This is not that I feel any less strongly about these misleading and overpriced NGNs. In fact I'm still challenging/complaining to  the companies who use 0870 that I have regular dealings with - I just don't discuss this fact back here, although I am quieting keeping an eye on other discussions back here.

Having said all this,  I'm sure forum activity will increase again considerably when (and if?) Ofcom report back on their conclusions from this consultation.  I remember the coming Spring has been mentioned as a possible time to expect to hear Ofcom's reply.  Is anyone able to give any further detail of this date ?

Keep up the fight - Say No To 0870 !

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:37am

gdh82 wrote on Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:04am:
Having said all this,  I'm sure forum activity will increase again considerably when (and if?) Ofcom report back on their conclusions from this consultation.  I remember the coming Spring has been mentioned as a possible time to expect to hear Ofcom's reply.  Is anyone able to give any further detail of this date ?

Perhaps this may help although Ofcom usually slip at least one to two months on any promised deadline for reporting back from a consultation.  And they are complaining that the number of people responding has made life difficult for them:-

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 20 January 2006 12:59
Subject: RE: 0845/0870 Call Price Descriptions Still Not Changed on BT Phone Bills 18 Months After They Became Misleading

In the consultations we have already indicated that we hope to publish the statements by the end of March 2006.

As with all consultations, the turnaround time is dependant on the volume of responses and the issues that are raised by respondents. As you know, we received approximately 1400 responses to these consultations compared with 100 to the last consultation so March 2006 is a challenging target.

At this stage we are still working through the responses, so I am not in a position to give any more detail on the likely publication dates.

regards

Clive
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:37am by N/A »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 3:28pm

Quote:
And Ofcom complaining that the number of people responding has made life difficult for them.

Thanks NGM for your helpful and informative response.  As you say it does look as if the goalposts are moving.  If Ofcom say March 2006 is a "very challenging" deadline then that no doubt means no chance!  I wouldn't be surprised if Ofcom give themselves a pat of the back for this large response seeing it as a reflection on how well they consult the public !  Wink  (Nothing to do with the fact that NTS is a mess and so many people are fed up with it)
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006 at 3:30pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 5:44pm

Quote:
Dave, DaveM and admin (Daniel) all seem to have mysteriously gone quiet at once.  Of course there have been those who have suggested that the two men in white coats and the rarely posting forum Owner may in fact all be one and the same person? Wink

Its interesting that Forum Admin is very regularly logged in but does not very often post.  I'm not sure quite what that says exactly.

Speaking personally, and as someone that has suffered the same loopy accusation levelled also against me, I ask why you believe this standard of discussion and personal bullying would have no influence whatsoever on people's interest in engaging in discussion at such an inane level.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006 at 5:44pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:21am

How much would it cost us to do some advertising of this website in the national press?  Maybe we could contact the Mail, Times, Telegraph etc and we could get a free editorial which we could write ourselves to explain our existence and encourage new members.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:22am by Alternative »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:09pm

Alternative wrote on Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:21am:
How much would it cost us to do some advertising of this website in the national press?  Maybe we could contact the Mail, Times, Telegraph etc and we could get a free editorial which we could write ourselves to explain our existence and encourage new members.  Any ideas?

BBC Radio 4 Moneybox and several other radio and tv programs have provided free publicity

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 9:01pm

I found it so addictive, this Website, that I had to seek professional help.   I'm now in remission, I think ?

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 2:10am

joe65 wrote on Feb 19th, 2006 at 9:01pm:
I found it so addictive, this Website, that I had to seek professional help.

I thought the therapy would be too expensive and that it would be cheaper to carry on with the addiction and avoiding the 084/7 phone calls in to the bargain. Wink Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge