Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan (Read 311,747 times)
kk

Re: Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan
Reply #210 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 10:39am

All landline telephone number that are not charged or treated in the same way (included in call options etc) as 01/02 prefix numbers should be placed in an appropriate charge band in the “09" range.  The charge bands for “09" could range from 1p to 150p/min. This would be clear and transparent to consumers.

What I object to, is numbers such as: 0871, 0870, 0845 and 0844 which are clandestine premium numbers and are clearly used to extract money from consumers, in an underhand way, to either organisations that use them or telecom companies or both.

Last Thursday my bank (HSBC) made repeated statement that 0845 "was only a local call". Yesterday I was told by my car insurer (Auto Net) that 0871 "was only a national rate call, so calling them on a normal geographical number would cost the same".
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006 at 12:38pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

xyhfna

Reply #211 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 12:18pm

Ok, Dave, i'll keep this short.
I have neather treat my customers with contempt no allow them to run roughshod over my company. I have no intention of discussing in detail my company's (or indeed those that i have worked for or with) service/function or anything else. I will however try (and have tried) to show that things are not quite as black and white as many seem to think. Just a small point, you clearly misread my stance on local/national number, i quite clearly am in favor of loosing the distinction and is certainly not something i 'cling to'. this would however require action from OfCom. I also agree that many parts of the telcom industry are slow to respond or are indiferent to customers concerns, but not all of them!

I sympathise with all those customers in queues/on hold and are paying for the 'privelidge'. However, as you yourself agreed there are those who will use the numbers they have for things that they have no good reason to. Now i am not saying all people who call these numbers do so for such trivial reasons, but the fact of the matter is that the cheaper the call the more 'trivial' calls received. Society is generally apathetic and lazy, preferiCustomer A phones Company A, through their Telecoms Carrier A, on a 'premium' rate 087xx number provided by a Minor Telecoms Operator A.ng someone else to do the work/take the responsibility, so that is why i chose to participate in such a hot and rigorous debate on such a contentious issue.

There is a case for looking at queuing and holding within the remit of OfCom, however this is a different debate to the one of charging. Assuming queuing and holding remain permissable, the problem then becomes who pays for what? (this in the hypothetical total asence of call purpose and the baggage it brings). I can only agree that a customer, if made to queue or hold, should only be charged for the cost of carrying the call - with the advent of IP telephony this is likely to become trivial, but is still some way off. However, a company should not be FORCED to use an includable number (although depending on the number function it may be quite appropriate). The issue is complicated by the miriad of telecoms companies and service provider, all of whome have different models and revenue schemes. Telecoms companies get and set different interconnect charges (usually by volume), they discount services which they offset against others, the problem occurs due to the fact that everyone (customers, business, carriers and operators) have different motives - not all of them profit.

Just a really simplified illustration:
a customer pays a call carrage paid to a telecom carrier
the telecoms carrier agrees with a minor telecoms operator specific interconnect charges
a company may or may not be charged for the use of the premium rate number, and may or may not recieve a revenue from the minor telecoms operator depending on their agreement.

either the telecoms carrier, the minor telecoms operator or possibly even the company may determine the cost of the premium rate call which the customer pays. dependent on who makes that determination is exactly who take what cut from the call charges.

its hard to argue that a minor operator or company shouldnt make money out of a call because a major carrier decides to offer certain calls at a certain rate. conversely it is hard to argue that a minor operator or company should force a major carier to make certain charges to their customers. and this is why there is such tension with numbers other than geographical numbers (which have their own issues - but they are for another debate).

The only way OfCom could ensure all parties got a level playing field would be to fix the goal posts. It would be much more 'obvious', but certainly more complicated if numbers were required to be billed in component parts. We could simplify this to a scheme similar to how mobile phone services are set up, i.e. calls to xxxx cost 1.5ppm above your prevailing carrage charge. This is simpler to understand and probably a better overall solution, there would be no descrepency as to the telecoms carriers charges and motivations, if a telecoms operator offered the calls 'free' of carrage, the whole of the call funds would be given to the minor telecoms operator. the customer knows they are paying a premium, and they know it not their telecoms operator that is making those charges. the minor operator isnt impinged by the major carriers policies. and the company is free to agree whatever revenue share scheme with the minor operator they like. If the major carrier wanted to offer all calls to certain numbers to be 'free', etc. then it would fall to the major operator (not the customer directly) to settle the bill with the minor operator, it would also be upto the major carrier to inform their customers of such 'offers'. this would be a much more satisfactory system than has been proposed.
It would also be different to the premium rate 09 numbers which have a predetermined cost and are not determined by the major carrier.

Liberty , Egality and Fraternity&&Live long and prosper (if you live long enough!)

IP Logged

xyhfna

Reply #212 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 1:06pm

I would propose a number scheme as below:

01 & 02 - Geographical Number Range
freed from the exchanges to which they are currently tied, and charged at the prevailing geographical rate and available for inclusion within call allowance

03 - Geographical Business Number Range
similar to the current 0800/0845 numbers, having NTS features such as rollover, etc, but charged at the prevailing geographical rate and available for inclusion within call allowance. Similar to the US 1-800/1-888 numbers and are automatically available from overseas at the prevailing international rate.

04 - reserved
05 - reserved - (earmarked for further Uplifted Rate Number Ranges if demand requires and possibly broken down in the 09 style)
06 - reserved

07 - Mobile Number Range
including mobile numbers and personal numbers. these numbers are not ties to any geography or 'line', but retain the same rates no matter where called from. numbers would not be permitted to generate shared revenue and would be determined by the carrier. It is irrelevant as to whether the number is attached to a cellular phone, wifi phone, voip or redirected landline. the idea is the number is portable (but is linked to a number services operator, which may or maynot be a network carrier)

08 - Uplifted Rate Number Range
as current 08 number range with some minor modifications. the call rate is in addition to the carrage. the 2 digits following the initial 08 would determin an uplift rate in 10ths of a penny. i.e. 0845 would now represent 4.5ppm uplift above the carrage. these numbers would also be available to be called from abroad paying the uplift in addition to the international carrage. 0800 would be reserved for its current use and not an uplift number range.

09 - Fixed Rate and Fixed Charge Number Ranges (formerly Premium Rate)
this would work similarly to the current 09 number range, but with minor 'corrections'.
firstly the range would be split.
090-094 and 095-099.

090-094 representing Fixed Rate Numbers charged at a predetermined (not an uplift!) rate where the 3 digits following the 09 represent the charge in pennies. i.e. 09050 would be 50ppm, 09150 would be £1.50pm. 09000 would be reserved possibly as a replacement for the 0800 number range?!

095-099 rould represent the Fixed Charge Numbers, which would be a predetermined Fixed Charge (not a per minute charge), the charge would be represented in pennies by the 2 digits following the initial 09x. i.e. 09690 would be a fixed charge of 90p regardless of the length of call, 097150 would represent a fixed charge of £1.50. There would be 5 sub-ranges, each with a decimal shift upwards. i.e. 09545 would represent a charge of 4.5 pence, 09645 45p, 09745 £4.5, 09945 £45 (although 099 numbers would be restricted until justification for such a number range is obtained.)

I would like to hear coments about this proposal as i feel this probably addresses many of the concerns currently expressed about charge knowledge and would be acceptable to most in the telecoms industry as it is both conservative with the necessary changes, and  liberal with the amount of regulation/interfearence required.

If anyone has a better proposal (and not just better for consumers!) then i would also like to see those too. Currently Ofcoms proposal is a halfway house which satisfies no-one.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006 at 1:10pm by xyhfna »  

Liberty , Egality and Fraternity&&Live long and prosper (if you live long enough!)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #213 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 2:26pm

[quote author=xyhfna link=1140696094/195#202 date=1160242681][i]You're really defending the indefensible! [etc][/i]
Actually the US model suffers in several ways (network topography, and scalability). The US model doesnt scale down so well as it relies on multiple operators with differing reliabiliy factors (from an enginering point of view not a consumer point of view). It also relies heavily on operators having access to much larger numbers of potential customers. [...] [/quote]The NANP is far from perfect, however I'll take it over Ofcom's NTNP any day. If you're happy to pay a couple of quid each and every time you use basic customer service, then that is your prerogative and is fine by me. I'm happier when the cost of providing the service is factored into the total cost of the product/service and that works for over 300m people in this region, from Nunavut to Florida and beyond.

[quote author=xyhfna link=1140696094/195#202 date=1160242681][i]1 - toll-free generally means toll-free [yada yada yada][/i]
toll-free (freephone) in the uk is toll-free on all standard landlines, non-incumbent operators such as hotels, mobile networks, etc. are free to charge what they like only because they are presicely that... non-incumbent operators (its entirely your choice and of your own making if you CHOOSE to use them) - this will only change through consumer pressure on THOSE operators. it has nothing to do with regulation and nothing to do with business operators. Most NGNs in the UK and the rest of the world are not toll-free and do not claim to be! [...][/quote]Most UK cellular providers used to either not charge for 800 or offset against inclusive minutes. Cynically, when they discovered Ofcom would do bugger all about it, they started charging. Vodafone called this 'simplification' - I call this downright greedy.  

[quote author=xyhfna link=1140696094/195#202 date=1160242681][i]2 - our toll-free NGNs can be called from outside the country ... from outside the UK and see what happens (usually nothing, but where possible, a massive charge);[/i]
actually some numbers can be called from outside the UK (it depends on the telecoms operator) some are charged at standard international rates... one my service providers uses an 0845 number which can be accessed outside the UK, but is charged at the international rates just as if i called them on their geographic number. for other NGNs it sometimes doesnt work, but thats because the telecoms operators simply dont want the complications that such calls impose - unlike the us where its par for the course. I can kind of understand it from the toll-free side where there is an international charge to the customer, and then a dilemma... what to charge the business using that number?! I do not defend the telecoms companies for their lack of enthusiasm in this matter, but it impacts little on the NGN issues raised in other parts of this debate.[/quote]The key work is 'some'. There is absolutely no guarantee that these numbers can be called from outside the UK howver they are being used where there is a reasonable expectation that calls from overseas wil take place. If any given business is going to use numbers that need to be accessible from ex-UK, for example insurance, travel, health, government functions, then they MUST use geographic numbering. Ofcom knows this but does nothing. The latest cynical exploitation is with university halls of residence using inappropriate numbering that precludes families of overseas students from being able to call. A disgrace.

As I said - if you're happy with the 0870/0845 scam and happy to pay even more to a company which 'screws up', then that's fine with me. In the last couple of days, I've had to call a couple of airlines, my insurance company, my bank, the cable company and the federal government. This has cost me precisely nothing on my phone bill. Any cost has been assigned to the cost of providing these services which is exactly how it should be in the UK (and indeed it was prior to these wretched numbers being introduced by the hopeless Ofcom which has to have its greedy finder in the pie somewhere along the line).
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006 at 2:29pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

xyhfna

Reply #214 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 3:06pm

Ok so the NANP/NTNP issue is not going to be won (or perhaps even should be) here, and is subject to a lot of personal preference.

I agree with you on the issue of 800 numbers from mobiles, and is perhaps something OfCom SHOULD look at more carfully, there is simply no justification for mobile phones to be different to landlines with respect to NGNs.l

re: some
well that was exactly my point some do others dont. Perhaps this is a case of should they be obliged to all be accessible overseas? but i rather suspect that case/argument would get swamped by the clammor to compel business/telecoms companies/carriers to drop the use on 0845/0870/etc altogether?!

I also experienced the case of unis using inapproprate number systems and although most unis operate private exchanges, i cant really see the benefit of such restrictive thinking.

On your continued claim that 'that fine with me', i would say one thing; if such pressure is brought to bear that the use of number shemes like 0870/0845 are scraped and the costs included in the cost of provision, this is discriminatory against all users. The cost of providing the services would be automatically included by both your telecoms supplier and the service provider, whether or not the ADDED benefit is required. I would far rather pay for something if and when i need it, and not be forced to pay for someone ellses benefit. The only way both of us to be happy is for me to have whatever numbers the company thinks they need to cover the cost of operating an added service, and the same company to offer you an 'upgraded' inclusive service, where you get a different set of numbers to call, and the company could screen call based on various account detail as is presently done under the current system anyway. You win because you get calls (which you evidently use a lot) included, I win because i pay for such calls (which i almost never have cause to use) as and when i need them, the company wins because it can account for for its costs easily and has much happier customer all round! Theres no restrictive red-tape, no costly and confusing messing with the number schemes (some of which do need an overhaul other than for the reasons that people give when objecting to the 0870/0845 numbers).

Just to clarify, my personal interactions with companies and telecoms services are conducted mostly through the internet, or perhaps when necessary face to face, rarely do is resort to dialing numbers of any sort. which is perhaps why i look at the problem from a quite drestically different point of view that yourself (my politics perhaps also has a role too)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #215 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:06pm

[quote author=xyhfna link=1140696094/195#202 date=1160242681]the majority of 'service/enquiry/sales' calls are made on toll-free numbers, lots of companies still only use geographical and charged at the previling rate (local/national/international), [b][u]the only others that are in common use are 0845/0870 which are local rate and national rate and are charged as such[/u][/b], and therefore do not attract the inclusiveness that sparked this debate.[/quote]

I would urge my fellow forum members not to waste any more of their time talking to this unpleasant piece of detritus from the management ranks of the 084/7 call centre world.  He would appear to be the same person who has made various other similar provocative posts of this kind under other names such as redtreble previously.

We all know perfectly well that 0845 and 0870 calls are not Local and National rate as this sharlatan incredibly still tries to say but are either Special Rate Services or according to an Ofcom consultation paper on Premium Rate numbers are Uncontrolled Premium Rate (that is they still revenue share but without being subject to ICSTIS's price disclosure regime).  What is so outraegous about 0845 and 0870 numbers and 0844 and 0871 for that matter is that the people running them do not disclose to their customers that they are now charging them extra and gaining revenue share from calls but try to do this in secrecy whilst peddling the lie that these numbers are only "local rate" and "national rate" as our friend here has just tried to do.  And all this because the unspeakably cretinous OFTEL and then Ofcom allowed the waters to be unbelievably muddied about what are and are not premium rate calls.

There are two debates to be had here:-

(a) whether it is right to charge at all for accessing by phone services like customer call centres and sales lines that do not add value but merely provide a means of communication with the company you are a customer or potential customer of.  Certainly in my view these organisations should not be able to charge extra for this privilege where they are a monopoly supplier, howeverI do not believe they should be allowed at all because their existence allows companies to charge an artificially low price for its products which is not representative of its true cost which is hidden and then also involves making regular contact with its scam 084/7 call centres (one of the worst examples of this being a BT home burglar alarm system sold at a cheap price a few months ago and but where every activation and deactivation notification to the control centre was sent using an 0870 number which the product booklet claimed was National Rate).  And to make matters worse if these companies sell you an especially shoddy or unreliable product or deliver you bad service rather than you being compensated for their misdeeds they actually charge you penal telephone fees for correcting their error.  They are even allowed to make you queue for 30 minutes to your huge discomfort and their huge financial benefit.

(b) Whether any service at all and even one that is value added like a professional lawyers advice line or a sex chat line should be allowed to bill customers via the insecure method of a phone call where this is no Pin protection on accessing the service and where many people making such calls are putting the calls on someone else's bill.  What I am talking about here are current 09 numbers and my contention would be that in their current form these are again totally immoral as accessing the numbers is not PIN protected automatically and does not require a phone line owner to give each member of his household that he wants to access the services their own unique PIN number from which they could later be traced as the caller if the householder disputed the contents of their phone bill.

So in summary all NGN services that involve hidden revenue sharing are immoral and in my view anticompetitive and/or illegal because their either involve trying to hide from the caller that they are making a payment for the service in the phone call altogether or they often involve someone stealing from the phone line owner to make a call for which they do not pay the bill.

We should not waste any more of our time here discussing this issue with evil call centre mafiosa like this gentleman and should instead put all our efforts into going to our MPs and our MEPs and having the matter of Ofcom's lack of diligence in ensuring proper price disclosure and proper price competition in telecoms investigated by the Parliamentary Ombudsman and/or the European Commission.  We all spend far too much time posting here our anger to not any great outcome but instead we should be expressing our anger in those quarters where the scam industries and cosy careers of this overpaid gentleman and his overpaid friends at Ofcom can hopefully soon be brought to a swift end.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #216 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:29pm

xyhfna wrote on Oct 8th, 2006 at 3:06pm:
Just to clarify, my personal interactions with companies and telecoms services are conducted mostly through the internet, or perhaps when necessary face to face, rarely do is resort to dialing numbers of any sort. which is perhaps why i look at the problem from a quite drestically different point of view that yourself (my politics perhaps also has a role too)

So what do you do about companies where you have pursued the internet form or email based method of contact and had that contact ignored and not replied to after a week as is so often the case.  Or what do you do if the matter is urgent and the form or email based method of contact does not elecicit action in the required period of time.

Also what do you do about an organisation like Sky where you can only amend or alter the services you take from them by an 0870 phone call and they deliberately withhold any web based or other non phone based mechanism for ordering the service.

I would strongly suspect that you are an overpaid call centre company director who has an under utilised non working wife who makes these 084/7 calls without you even being aware of them and that because you are so filfthy rich you never both looking at your phone bill and checking the individual calls that make it up.  Or perhaps your wife checks it.

Also I resent your insinuation that one has to be a socialist to oppose these rip off numbers as I can assure you that I was until recent a Conservative district councillor and I despise these numbers precisely because they are anti competitive (especially all 084/7 numbers other than those to access ISPs which should always have been on a different number code) as most people using them do not realise they are making an additional payment to the companies concerned for using the services.

All of 084/7 is structured in a way that it always presents an opportunity to scam due to a spinelessly weak regulator infiltrated from stem to stern by senior telecoms industry interest.  For instance mobile phone companies find these numbers do cost them more to connect to than 01/02 numbers but they totally hide the fact that the numbers are excluded from inclusive calling plans and worse still charge extortionate call fees which are many times more than the additional cost to them of connecting these calls.  But the extra cost is not stated upfront and a company like Vodafone totally hides from their Pay As You Go customers what these calls did cost them as they do not offer any form of itemised billing, even online and/or even if you are willing to pay extra for it.

As your overpaid career clearly depends on this scam industry and you clearly had no morals whatsoever to take a job in the scam industry no doubt you will defend it till the cows come home.  But I would urge other forum members to simply ignore you and put their efforts into closing down your scam industry in the hope you will soon lose your overpaid job and know what it is like for those on the lowest incomes in scoiety to be charged further additional hidden charges they cannot afford for making contact with essential services like their local council or utility companies.  And yes my council would have started using 0845 numbers for various services and had already done so on one of them till I got a resolution unanimously passed by all parties banning their further use.  As ever the sharp ripoff telecoms salesman had conned our energetic but not very bright working class kid made good head of IT that 0845 really was only charged to local residents at local rate guv.  The whole of your industry is based on simple confidence trickery which is precisely why I so despise it.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #217 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:42pm

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#215 date=1160319989][quote author=xyhfna link=1140696094/195#202 date=1160242681]the majority of 'service/enquiry/sales' calls are made on toll-free numbers, lots of companies still only use geographical and charged at the previling rate (local/national/international), [b][u]the only others that are in common use are 0845/0870 which are local rate and national rate and are charged as such[/u][/b], and therefore do not attract the inclusiveness that sparked this debate.[/quote]
I would urge my fellow forum members not to waste any more of their time...[/quote]I have to agree.

Anyone who still thinks that 0845/0870 are still local rate/national rate is living in denial.  Ofcom agree that NTS numbers being described as local/national rate is misleading and so does the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority).

With the exception of most consumers, it's really only teleco's and companies/gov depts using these numbers that still describe them as local/national rate.  Original Communications Providers (OCP) and Communication Providers (CP) are fully aware that they're not but they are able to sell more of these NTS numbers because they purposely describe them as local/national rate and therefore mislead companies into thinking that their 'fantastic' new 084x/087x is only charged at 'local' / 'national' rates so therefore their own customers don't really pay more for calling them despite the fact they do.

The only reason why most consumers still think they're local/national rate is because OCP, CP and most companies misleadingly state they are.

Ofcom admit this hence why there is no transparency on these numbers but is unwilling to do anything to stop it.  Anyone making a complaint that a OCP and/or CP is misleadingly advertising these numbers as local/national rate is basically told by Ofcom that it has nothing to do with them and its a matter for Trading Standards.

Now in principle I would agree with Ofcom if there was only a small proportion of OCP and CP who are selling these numbers on false pretences to their customers (ie businesses, gov departments, etc).  The problem is that most (if not all) OCP's and CP's misleadingly still sell these numbers as apparently only costing local/national rate so due to sheer amount, the task is outside the remit of Trading Standards.  Instead either DTI or Ofcom, etc should do something about but the DTI and Ofcom pass the 'buck' (so-to-speak) to other departments so as to try to avoid dealing with it.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:44pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #218 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:57pm

bbb_uk wrote on Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:42pm:
Ofcom admit this hence why there is no transparency on these numbers but is unwilling to do anything to stop it.  Anyone making a complaint that a OCP and/or CP is misleadingly advertising these numbers as local/national rate is basically told by Ofcom that it has nothing to do with them and its a matter for Trading Standards.

Now in principle I would agree with Ofcom if there was only a small proportion of OCP and CP who are selling these numbers on false pretences to their customers (ie businesses, gov departments, etc).  The problem is that most (if not all) OCP's and CP's misleadingly still sell these numbers as apparently only costing local/national rate so due to sheer amount, the task is outside the remit of Trading Standards.  Instead either DTI or Ofcom, etc should do something about but the DTI and Ofcom pass the 'buck' (so-to-speak) to other departments so as to try to avoid dealing with it.

Actually its not a matter for Trading Standards at all who are only there to deal with individual instances of poor commercial practice by certain merchants and not with a nationwide problem of organised cartel like anti competitive behaviour.  The Office of Fair Trading and/or the Competition Commission are there to deal with those issues depending on their scale but unfortunately in the telecoms and broadcasting industries the normal powers of the Competition Commission have been delegated to Ofcom and Ofcom so far as I am concerned is not using those powers either correctly and/or at all.

This is why the matter needs to be taken to our MPs and our MEPs to have the Parliamentary Ombudsman and the EU Commission investigate the failure of Ofcom to ensure proper price disclosure and properly price competitive markets in the UK NGN telecoms sector.  It seems by now perfectly clear that various senior employees at Ofcom have not an ounce of consumer zeal, integrity or principle in their bodies and that their only priority is to draw their large salaries and fat pension contributions without rocking the great 084/7 call scam boat in which so many important New Labour friends in commerce are now so intimately involved.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:59pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

xyhfna

Reply #219 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 6:32pm

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#215 date=1160319989]
I would urge my fellow forum members not to waste any more of their time talking to this unpleasant piece of detritus from the management ranks of the 084/7 call centre world.  He would appear to be the same person who has made various other similar provocative posts of this kind under other names such as redtreble previously.

We all know perfectly well that 0845 and 0870 calls are not Local and National rate as this sharlatan incredibly still tries to say but are either Special Rate Services

So in summary all NGN services that involve hidden revenue sharing are immoral and in my view anticompetitive and/or illegal because their either involve trying to hide from the caller that they are making a payment for the service in the phone call altogether or they often involve someone stealing from the phone line owner to make a call for which they do not pay the bill.

We should not waste any more of our time here discussing this issue with evil call centre mafiosa like this gentleman[/quote]

i sense some terible vengence... but poorly expressed.

To set the record straight i am not either in the employ of OfCom or the 'evil' Telecom Companies. I do not work in or for a call center, and could hardly be called' mafiosa'. I have never posted to this site (in fact i wasnt aware of it until i googled one of the indirect access codes!) prior to my registration just a day or so ago. It strikes me as a a little odd that you cannot comprehend someone might want to engage in an inteligent debate, without any back biting, and have a difference of opinion. Read the composition of my arguments to see that they are not the work of any other contributer. I would urge you to be tolerant of other peoples opinions, even if they are in conflict with your own.

The references i make to Local and National rates are not a pretence that they refelct any particular telecoms providers charges, but that that is what these services ar curretnly known as.

As to the issue of certain NGNs being immoral, i dont agree, what i can agree with is they may be unpopular, their use may even be deceitful, but certainly not immoral. There is no evidence that they are anti-competative and are certainly not illegal. Lines are owned by the providers not the customers, customers lease the lines.

If you really read my posts i neither defend nor accuse any section of the parties concerned of anything. I mearly suggest perhaps there is some common ground (see my recommendation table for changes to the number system). We are all aware that SOME companies blatantly scam callers, SOME others blatantly rip customer off, SOME dont see any revenue from the calls, SOME use any revenue to give those that need it better service, SOME respond to customer opinion positivly some dont. SOME customers prefer to pay when they need a service, others feel entitles, others still are happy to pay extra for security knowing everything is already covered. Blanket bans like you seam to favor are ill concieved, and certainly not liberal or egalitarian in their aproach. Something we all agree on is that clarity is most certainly overdue in the telecoms market, and the numbering scheme is an ideal starting point.

because i rarely use 'included' services i am constantly urging companies to unbundle their services (presicely the oposite to what you ar trying to do), i see no use in inclusive features i dont use (insurance, call-time, 24-7 freephone help). i also object to subsidising other peoples usage, why should i pay extra because 'the average user' makes x use of y product or service. I couldnt abide subsidising someone elses telephone usage by paying even a penny more for my line rental (which i am forced to by BT and any other incumbent). Its about choice, OfCom should be enforcing choice and clarity, not messing around. If OfCom regulate the market as I have described, then it would be upto pressure groups like this to lobby companies to change policy in light of customer opinion rather than tie telecoms operators up in red tape. After all its your choice which companies you use, vote with your feet, move to a company that responds or is proacvtive in their aproach to customers.

It does you campaign no god to exclude those who have differences of opinion from your 'debates'. If there is a debate to be hade it should be open and even handed, not biased by ones opinions.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #220 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 6:49pm

Quote:
Actually its not a matter for Trading Standards at all
That's why I said because the problem is too wide and most if not all OCP & CPs mislead their customers with the local rate and national rate lies.  I was talking in principle if there was only a few OCP & CPs that did this then I'd have said it was for Trading Standards to deal with but like you, I think the problem/lies are that big and used by so many OCP & CP's that it needs looking into by Ofcom or someone as a whole.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #221 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 7:11pm

xyhfna wrote on Oct 8th, 2006 at 6:32pm:
The references i make to Local and National rates are not a pretence that they refelct any particular telecoms providers charges, but that that is what these services are currently known as.

You are totally wrong in your claim that these 0845 and 0870 numbers are "local rate" and "national rate".  Even the very latest BT phone bills show that they are "0845 rate" and "0870 rate".  The BT phone book makes clear they are "Special Rate" services.  Even for BT Option 1 customers they ceased to be "local rate" and "national rate" on 1st July 2004 when the cost of a "national rate" call changed to 3p per minute peak rate and "local rate" calls and "national rate" calls started costing 5.5p for 1 hour off-peak - yet 0845 and 0870 continued to charge different prices.  You show either your ignorance or your commercial cynicism on this subject by making these statements.  Non BT customers have had to pay extra 0845 and 0870 calls compared to their other uk 01 and 02 calls for at least 7 years!

With regards to you objecting for paying extra for people who call these numbers my experience is that companies who use these numbers in fact have the most expensive and over priced services for all their customers.  Also your concept that customers who call companies are a drain is a bizarre one since many happy customers who are not scammed for calling a company buy more services from the company and remain loyal to it.  I cannot understand the logic of Admiral car insurance running its sales line on an 0800 number but its renewals line on an 0870 number when renewing customers involve no advertising and acquisition cost and are far more profitable.

You also claim these numbers are not anti competitive.  But how can that be so when most mobile phone customers are lied to by deliberately mistrained customer service staff that these calls are "local" and "national" only for the company to exclude them from bundled minutes for national calls and by charging an undisclosed premium rate for calling them from overseas.

If these NGN numbers are to remain at all I demand their total exposure in terms of cost so that consumers make correct choices about calling them.  I demand compulsory call price announcements where it is stated for 084 and 087 and 09 and 118 calls that x pence per minute is being paid to the company called and their intermediaries as service charges for the unbearable burden you as a customer are imposing by calling them and have nothing to do with the cost of maintaining or paying the staff of the telecoms networks that were responsible for physically conveying the call.  I also demand that all phone bills show the service fee elements of NGN calls separately from the phone call conveyance element and I particularly demand that clueless regulators who are complicit in the scam like Ofcom do not allow it to continue for over 2 years after 0845 and 0870 stopped being local and national rate for their customers other than BT Light User Scheme customers by BT still misleadingly describing them on phone bills in this way.

I have never met anyone who did not derive an income stream from 084/7 calls who was in favour of the extra charges made for usually a much worse delayed call centre services than honest companies who do not scam and do not use these numbers.  I cannot imagine why someone who did not have a vested interest in the profits of the call centre industry sector would hold such a view.

How you can call the market in these calls competitive when all call conveying companies other than BT charge more for them than BT is beyond me.  And the reason they call all get away with this is because customers making 084/7 calls wrongly think these calls are charged at the BT Local or National Rate.  This is not a competitive market where customers make normal informed rational purchase decisions.

If you still find it so difficult to understand why these calls are a scam can I point you to the following:-

The view of a county council trading standards department

Para 1.3 Page 1 of www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/oftel_0845/responses/leicester_cc.pdf

and

the view of the CEO of BT Retail, Ian Livingston

http://business.scotsman.com/banking.cfm?id=764772005

and

two recent guidances from the Advertising Standards Authority

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Hanging+on+the+telephone+on+and+on+and+...

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Stop+the+call+confusion.htm

and

the current Parliamentary Early Day motion deploring the use of 0870 telephone numbers by government departments

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28872%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&...

and

Another guidance from the Committee of Advertising Practice of the Advertising Standards Authority

www.cap.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/CAP+rings+the+changes+for+telecoms+prov...

and Pages 5 and 6 of the below minutes from my own district council where we agreed policy to stop the future use of 0845 and 0870 numbers.

www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/pdf/1/s/Council_Minutes_190705.pdf
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006 at 7:15pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #222 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:03pm

While I don't expect special treatment or anything, my post has been ignored... I would quite like xyhfna to comment on why I should pay a premium to contact a company who have wrongly taken money from my account through no fault of my own.

I agree with xyhfna that it's unacceptable to be forced by BT and others to pay for inclusive calls. I was happy with standard BT line rental, and it was when I was forced to move to "Option 1" (and lost £2/month inclusive call allowance) that ended up finding this site. What I most resent to is when a sales rep for a phone company tries to tell me they give me good deals, when I make few calls so inclusive calls are useless to me! What I would like is for the occasional calls I am forced to make to incompetent companies to be included, but no-one can offer that because of the anti-competitive way that 084/087 calls are set up.

Thanks for the link to the Scotsman, NGM, I didn't realise BT was also calling for abolition of these numbers too! Having said that, some of his claims such as "the prices charged by rival operators for dialling the numbers can be six times more than the regulated prices charged by BT" seem to be rather exaggerated.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #223 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:14pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:03pm:
Thanks for the link to the Scotsman, NGM, I didn't realise BT was also calling for abolition of these numbers too! Having said that, some of his claims such as "the prices charged by rival operators for dialling the numbers can be six times more than the regulated prices charged by BT" seem to be rather exaggerated.

I can only think that Mr Livingston was referring to the charges made by Pay As You Go mobile phone operators for calling 0845 and 0870 compared to what BT charges but in that case I think one can get up to about 15 times the BT rate for calling say 0870 at the weekend.

Unless of course he was thinking of TalkTalk who regularly charge for fixed line calls that a customer dials but that never connect! Shocked

Personally I prefer the Post Office way which is never to charge for many calls to NGN and overseas numbers that you have actually dialled. Wink

IP Logged

xyhfna

Reply #224 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 1:16am

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]You are totally wrong in your claim that these 0845 and 0870 numbers are "local rate" and "national rate". [/quote]
Actually i merely refer to them in such a manor because this is what they are predominantly known as, i was unaware that they had been redesegnated 0845 and 0870 rated numbers, all references to local an national rate in my posts should be construed as a 0845 and 0870 rated, and not meant to imply a charge of local or national rate. This may be the source of some antaganism, but does not alter any of the point that have ben made previously.

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]0845 and 0870 continued to charge different prices.[/quote]
my point relates not to the fact they are charge differently to geographic calls, but that clarity should be enforced, ensuring customers are aware of the charges involved with these calls. I find it perfectly reasonable that any number be chargable at any rate provided the rate is clear to the users of such a number - and is precisely what i have been arguing for.

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]You show either your ignorance or your commercial cynicism on this subject by making these statements.[/quote]
and a great number of you fail to recognise the validity of rationalised statements that are inconflict with your own principals or beliefs.

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]Also your concept that customers who call companies are a drain[/quote]
I have not suggested that all customers that call a company are a drain. the concept i present suggests that SOME customers are an unacceptable drain, MOST customers are not, but a company has to factor in the cost of running a telephone service somewhere, and that is ALWAYS going to be passed on to the end user, that is a fundamental reality of economic theory. The only question is whether it is better to factor it into the provision of products and/or services, or supliment or offset it with call revenue (regardless of whether any revenue is actually received by the company or retained by the telecom operator)

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]I cannot understand the logic of Admiral car insurance running its sales line on an 0800 number but its renewals line on an 0870 number when renewing customers involve no advertising and acquisition cost and are far more profitable.[/quote]
this perplexes me also, and seems rather stupid, but NOT illegal. but again it comes down to consumer choice, if you feel this is unjust then switch insurers, and send a letter to the CEO with detailed, but not prejudicial (which does your case no justice), reasoning. If enough customers switch the company WILL change its attitude.

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]... how can that be so when most mobile phone customers are lied to ... and by charging an undisclosed premium rate for calling them from overseas.[/quote]
The issue of calls from mobile phones and calls from overseas are different to whether or not 0845/0870 numbers are legitimate in essence. My stance is and always has been that these numbers are legitimate, but that clarity in charges should be mandated. The issue of mobile phone charges is an issue all of its own and should be dealt with by OfCom in a gerneral review of how mobile phone companies operate. Overseas calling to these numbers should also be clarified but is related to how overseas numbers in general are treated.

[quote author=NonGeographicalMan link=1140696094/210#221 date=1160331119]If these NGN numbers are to remain at all I demand their total exposure... I also demand that all phone bills show the service fee elements of NGN calls separately from the phone call conveyance element...[/quote]
I have already suggested their exposure, but it is the method of exposure that we disagree on - not that there should be disclosure.
I have also suggested that conveyance and and extra carrier (i.e. those set by the intemerdiary telecoms operator) premiums be clearly seperated (i went further in suggesting that this clarity be mandated not at the billing stage, but at the promotion stage)

customer service (good, bad or indifferent) will not change on the basis of the numbers customers dial, only market forces and loss of custom will change this.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge