Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0844 number for doctors' surgery (Read 38,305 times)
Tony_Walsh
Ex Member

Re: 0844 number for doctors' surgery
Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Getting into this now! Never mind the patients (actually I really do!) - it's cost my practice we believe £1000 or so with calls to these numbers in the last year! Sorry, the hospital switchboard (geog number) will now be jammed by many doctors as I spread the word!  - no more "direct line" departmental calls.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:47pm

Quote:
...it's cost my practice we believe £1000 or so with calls to these numbers in the last year! Sorry, the hospital switchboard (geog number) will now be jammed by many doctors as I spread the word!  - no more "direct line" departmental calls.

I presume that direct lines to hospital departments are 0845 numbers? These are slightly different to 0844.

Is your practice on a telephone package which gives some sort of 'discount' for geographical calls? How does this rate compare to 0845 numbers?

May I also suggest you consider putting in a FOI request for geographical numbers and other information. See the FOI section on the forums. Members on here will be able to give you some pointers if you need them.  Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2006 at 11:00pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 11:10pm

Quote:
Getting into this now! Never mind the patients (actually I really do!) - it's cost my practice we believe £1000 or so with calls to these numbers in the last year! Sorry, the hospital switchboard (geog number) will now be jammed by many doctors as I spread the word!

The sad thing about the great 084/7 ripoff is that neary everyone loses except for the ripoff merchants like NEG who flog the numbers to business and certain massive call centres who receive huge numbers of incoming calls but hardly make any outgoing calls (eg Sky and the Royal Bank of Scotland group).

If one makes just 20 minutes of calls to an 0870 phone number from a BT landline every weekday in a BT billing quarter that comes to £97.50 of calls a quarter or £390 a year that would have been free within an all calls 01/02 plan if they had been normal 01/02 numbers.  So for it to cost your practice £1,000 in the last year would be easy since 1 hour of calls a day to 0870 is £4.50.  Times that by 250 business days and you are easily over the £1,000.  OK 0845 calls at 3p per minute and 0844 5p per minute don't cost quite as much but still cost between £1.80 and £3.00 and hour for calls that might otherwise be free of charge on a flat rate monthly plan.  Getting to £1,000 for calling these number is a doddle.

Did you realise the whole 084/7 and 09 calls industry is worth about £1.5 billion per annum. Shocked Shocked Shocked Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2006 at 11:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge