Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Post Office Home Phone: Can't call some 0844/0871s (Read 32,783 times)
Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Post Office £50 + another £15
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2007 at 9:35pm

Meemo wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 5:38pm:
Quote:
cowman wrote on Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:19am:
Any news on the 1280 routing/charging?

I assume I will only know how the 1280 calls are billed when I get my Post Office phone bill with them on.  I would imagine they will be charged at BT's residential rate for calling these numbers which is the same for either BT Together or BT Standard line rental customers.

It will be on your BT bill with your line rental - I dial an 0844 number for my in laws in Spain and have to reroute to BT using the 1280 number as Tesco don't recognise them.

That may be the case with a CPS provider (i.e. where calls are routed via the other provider but line rental remains with BT), but anyone signed up with the Post Office will have signed over their line rental too - hence using a 1280 prefix on a call will not route the call via BT (or, if it does, BT have no way of billing* for the call) - because the subscriber no longer rents their line from BT and so no longer has an account with them either.

* In which case, BT will charge the other provider who, after adding their mark up, will charge the customer.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2007 at 9:28pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Meemo

Reply #16 - May 15th, 2007 at 1:20pm

Wasn't aware post office was a line inclusive thing - thought it was just like my tesco one... does that mean these people are stuffed when it comes to dialling certain numbers then?  That's not a good thing. 

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - May 15th, 2007 at 2:24pm

Meemo wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 1:20pm:
Wasn't aware post office was a line inclusive thing - thought it was just like my tesco one... does that mean these people are stuffed when it comes to dialling certain numbers then?  That's not a good thing.

In today's telecom market where the consumer is "free to choose", only BT must allow access to all numbers and prefixes beginning 1.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #18 - May 21st, 2007 at 6:44pm

Meemo wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 1:20pm:
Wasn't aware post office was a line inclusive thing - thought it was just like my tesco one... does that mean these people are stuffed when it comes to dialling certain numbers then?  That's not a good thing.  

You can access these 084/7 dial thru numbers with the Post Office by dialling 1280 before calling these numbers but you have no idea what you may then pay until they come in to the Post Office from BT (usually 3 months later) and it was 20% or so higher than BT's actual rates for these calls at the time.  Couldn't get any sense from the Post Office about what they charged and why.

Also never dial the 100 operator with the Post Offce as its answered by BT who deliberately charge the Post Office the discretionary £4 fee for call connection they virtually never charge their own customers.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Post Office Home Phone: Can't call some 0844/0
Reply #19 - May 26th, 2007 at 7:18pm

It is reported on MSE that the Post Office will be bringing in the 'connection fee'. Expect per whole minute charging to be brought in soon......

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Post Office Home Phone: Can't call some 0844/0
Reply #20 - May 26th, 2007 at 7:23pm

Dave wrote on May 26th, 2007 at 7:18pm:
It is reported on MSE that the Post Office will be bringing in the 'connection fee'. Expect per whole minute charging to be brought in soon......

In which case the justification for remaining with them disappears.

Of course mainly Ididn't use them for calls but if I had a number that kept going to answerphone/1571/Call Minder or a faulty corporate IVR queuing system it sometimes came in handy.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge