Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Working Lunch Friday 12 May: Phones (Read 5,965 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

BBC Working Lunch Friday 12 May: Phones
May 9th, 2006 at 1:54pm

Working Lunch on Friday are doing Q&As on phones, could be worth some e-mails relating to the 087/084 issue?

"
in Consuming Issues, we have two experts on the programme to tackle all your phone-related questions on the programme. We'll be covering broadband issues as well as taking your questions about landline and mobile phones."

On this page, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/4758914.stm ; they ask you to click on the link re questions about phones, but the link says "Pensions Questions", if you click on it, it will open up an email window, I suggest the subject line is changed from "Pensions" to "phones" so as to avoid any confusion.

~ Thread title edited by Dave
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2006 at 5:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Re: BBC Working Lunch Friday 12 May: Phones
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2006 at 9:25am

Thanks for raising this Derrick.  For what its worth and I won't be at all surprised if its ignored, I've sent off an email as below:

Quote:
Dear Working Lunch

I write to ask if you would consider drawing attention to the issue of the cost of making telephone calls to non-geographic numbers.  This issue is not only important but is also topical given Ofcom are currently consulting the public on this issue.

I believe there is widespread disatisfaction with the increasing use of non-geographic numbers (i.e 0870/0871/0845/0844).   Whereas the cost of geographical calls (beginning 01/02) has fallen in recent years, calls costs to non-geographic calls have remained high (0870 can be eight times more expensive than the geographic equivalent and even more expensive when made from mobiles).  I have read that calls to non-geographic numbers now account for up to a third of  all call costs and this amounts to an average of up to £150 per year per household.

You will be aware of the last year's backlash regarding the Met's use of an 0870 number as a casualty hotline following the dreadful July bombings.  Under the circumstances it is no wonder that the 'shameful' £30,000 profits made by 0870 were given to charity.  Similarly why should retail giants be making money on the back of consumers who, for example, are waiting to report that their washing machine has broken down?

In December 2005 Ofcom consulted on the way forward for Number Translation Services and received an unprecedented response of over 1200 replies with the general public very much against the use of these numbers.  (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/) Not only are these numbers over priced, they are misleading too.  Many carry the labels of local rate/national rate when this distinction is meaningless to most peoples' call plans.  Worse still, for the increasing numbers of those who budget for their telephone costs by 'pre-paying' a monthly subscription so to have 'free' uk landline calls, they will find that non-geographic are almost always excluded.

Ofcom is now undertaking yet another consultation on a Review of The UK Telephone Numbering which closes 25 May 2006. (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/summary/?a=87101). ; To Ofcom's credit, it proposes to create a new country-wide number range - 03 - which would be charged to the consumer at the same rate as calling a geographic number.  Organisations requiring a national presence would be able to use this range without charging consumers a premium for contacting them; and calls to 03 numbers could be included in any inclusive or low-cost call packages offered by landline or mobile phone companies.  On the downside, however, Ofcom would allow a re-organised 0870/0871/0845/0844 to continue and therefore there seems little incentive for organisations to move to the new '03' range and so the misleading and overpriced telephone numbers are likely to continue.

To illustrate this point you may be aware that Ofcom have proposed to change the 0870 number range so that it would be charged at a geographic rate. Such a change would be very popular and very much in the consumer's interest.  In anticipation of this change, however, we are already seeing companies migrate from 0870 to 0871 so to protect the revenue they receive on the back of their consumers phone calls.  See here for an example of a telecom companies encouraging business to make such a switch: (http://www.telewest.co.uk/business/research_insights/announcements/nts_ofcom_cha...). This clearly shows that the regulator's attempts to make changes in the consumer's interest are very easily side stepped, and my concern is that these problems would only continue based on Ofcom's latest proposals.

This is why I believe many of your viewers would appreciate being made aware of these issues and of the opportunity to have their say on the matter.   

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:03am

Excellent, although you may be right that it might be ignored, especially as BBC are prolific users of 0870 numbers, I will send one in myself, but a lot shorter Grin

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:50am

Just emailed my reply.

My email concentrated mostly on the upto 40p/min cost of calling these numbers and I included links to O2 and T-mobile website confirming the cost of these numbers as 35p/min and 40p/min (respectively).

I also pointed out the other networks have made it impossible or near impossible to find the cost of these calls on their website so therefore they appear to not want their customers knowing the true cost of these calls.

I did forget though to mention that these numbers are still generally perceived to be known as local and national rate and this is now classed as misleading by Ofcom and the ASA.  If anyone who hasn't emailed them can just include this please.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:56am

derrick wrote on May 10th, 2006 at 10:03am:
Excellent, although you may be right that it might be ignored, especially as BBC are prolific users of 0870 numbers,
I will send one in myself, but a lot shorter
Grin

Yeah, I was conscious of going on a bit  Angry but, you know, I started so I finished even though I had to stop myself from adding more  Shocked

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge