<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scam (Read 15,705 times)
lambs

Scam
May 19th, 2006 at 5:57pm

hi, firstly this is not an 08 number but and 07... i received a call on my mobile from a number, this number was 0709******* (i cant remember the rest, but will post it when i find my phone bill). anyway, they called and then hung up. i glanced at the number, couldnt recognize it so called them back (thinkin it was a mobile number) the man who answered it said his colleage tried callin me but got disconneted and wanted to talk about my price plan. i said no i want to keep mine etc and hung up. my mobile phone bill came a couple of weeks later and there was a section "premium numbers dialled" i thought i never called any premium numbers but when i looked at the number i recognized it as being this one! my friends have also received missed calls from this number to! this is just a warning to anyone hwo gets a missed call from a number startin with 0709 dont bother callin back!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Scam
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2006 at 10:18pm

This is common. See this thread on a similar scam. 070 numbers are NOT mobile numbers. They are personal numbers that can be routed to various destinations, typically including mobiles. From most BT landlines they cost a plethora of different rates up to nearly 50p/min at all times. Mobile providers are likely to charge a fortune for them.

Although the regulator has brought in rules that forbid the receiving party from profiting, indermediary parties can receive revenue.End result is that some may sign up and make themselves the intermediary.

Mobile numbers begin 077, 078 and 079.

IP Logged

lambs

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2006 at 10:20pm

yeh, as i glanced at the number i thought it read 0790 thinkin this is a mobile number it was only after when i checked the bill i realized!

IP Logged

rickuk80

What happened to Customer
Service?

Birmingham
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 1:20pm

I have had this number 'prank' me twice now. Their number is 07096 807783. I called it back the first time thinking my younger brother who never has credit was trying to get in touch with me, anyway it turns out apparently I had won tickets to new york or something.

Anyway, is there anything that can be done?

Rick

rickuk80  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 3:40pm

rickuk80 wrote on Jun 13th, 2006 at 1:20pm:
I have had this number 'prank' me twice now. Their number is 07096 807783. I called it back the first time thinking my younger brother who never has credit was trying to get in touch with me, anyway it turns out apparently I had won tickets to new york or something.

Anyway, is there anything that can be done?

Rick

It's not a prank - it's a money-making scam (as you have probably found out to your cost by now).

Personally, I can never understand people calling back a missed call's number if they don't recognise it.

In any case, avoiding calling any 070, 08 or 09 number is a good rule of thumb.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2006 at 3:42pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

kk

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 3:57pm

Hi LAMBS

Email a complaint to Ofcom. 

If you have evidence that this is an organised scam make a complaint to the police.  The offence would probably be theft (obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception) or conspiracy to defraud. You would need to show that a number of people have been contacted in the same way.  If you put the full number on this site you may receive the required feedback

KK

IP Logged

Hugh

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 8:54am

"Prank" is a modern term for ring once then hang up. My kids do this all the time to get me to phone them. But in this case, it is also a scam.

IP Logged

Negotiator

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 1:21pm

Yes I agree with Heinz it's not a scam it's Money-making-scheme. I have two mobile and fraudster do give me regular miscalls from different 070 nos(there are lots of Fraudster out there) once a girl said hello and hanged up, you can also find these type of nos on http://ww.gumtree.com where these fraudster are trying to sell expensive items for a bargain price(like a nokia 8800 for £50). So just be aware of these type of nos and call your mobile operateor to bar Premium nos from you Mobile.

IP Logged

NeilL

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 7:25pm

My daugther had a call form an 0709 number earlier today that hung up.  Thankfully she didn't ring back but asked me if I knew the number.  Stupidly I called the number and heard "Welcome to the Privacy Exchange" at which time I hung up.  So I may get an extra charge of some kind.  If any one is interested the number was:

Neil.

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:55pm

NeilL wrote on Jul 26th, 2006 at 7:25pm:
My daugther had a call form an 0709 number earlier today that hung up.  Thankfully she didn't ring back but asked me if I knew the number.  Stupidly I called the number and heard "Welcome to the Privacy Exchange" at which time I hung up.  So I may get an extra charge of some kind.  If any one is interested the number was:

Neil.

Code: 070 968    
Type: Mobile
Use: Personal
Operator: Xero 9
Tariff Band: Personal Numbers local + 50p (pn7) (inc VAT)
Service: Personal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge