idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
SNEN, US-style
May 24th, 2006 at 3:10am

Here's how one city here implements a single non-emergency number (3-1-1):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doitt/html/about/about_311.shtml

<<
311 is New York City's phone number for government information and non-emergency services. Whether you're a resident, business owner, or a visitor, all the resources of New York City are just a phone call away....    

311's mission is to help customers access City services and information and to help City government provide the highest possible levels of customer service. We provide high levels of customer service and increased access to government. We strive to help agencies improve service delivery by allowing them to focus on their core missions, helping them to manage their workload efficiently, and providing insight into the demands of their customers.

We seek to accurately and consistently measure service delivery Citywide, and provide insight into ways to improve service delivery for New York City government.

311 provides a single point of contact for all non-emergency City services, and is available to residents, City businesses, and visitors. Since going live in March of 2003, 311 has received over 30 million calls. The 311 Call Center is open 24 hours a day/365 days a year, and services are provided in over 170 languages.

"This Citizen Service Initiative will allow City residents to obtain important non-emergency services through one, central, all-purpose phone number quickly and effectively, and it reflects this Administration's commitment of bringing government to the people. I am confident that the new 311 system will vastly improve the way that New York City Government functions."

-Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
January 31, 2002  

Services 311 Provides

The list of services and information 311 provides is constantly expanding, and includes information on hundreds of services, agencies, and events.

People call 311 for:
Recycling schedule and information requests
Missed garbage collection complaints
Alternate Street Parking Rules
Noise complaints
Blocked driveway complaints
CFC/Freon pickup requests
311 Call Taker compliments
Landlord-related complaints
Information about health insurance options for small businesses and individuals
311 now also provides scheduling for Department of Buildings Plan Examinations, and is able to provide you with information relating to recreation centers, public pools, golf courses and other facilities in your area.

Phone Numbers for 311

In any borough of New York City call 311
Outside of New York City call (212) NEW-YORK (212-639-9675)
The TTY Number is 212-504-4115
As always, callers should call 911 for emergencies
>>

Contrast with the hopeless Ofcom/Home Office 101 - 3-1-1 is free and an alternative geographic number is given for calls originating from outside the five boroughs.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: SNEN, US-style
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2006 at 7:56pm

idb wrote on May 24th, 2006 at 3:10am:
Contrast with the hopeless Ofcom/Home Office 101 - 3-1-1 is free and an alternative geographic number is given for calls originating from outside the five boroughs.
Is the only reason a geographical is given is for those outside the area?  This obviously doesn't apply in the UK because when its up and running the number will be available from anywhere in the UK so therefore no one will be outside the area.

I agree there should be an alternative geographical but something tells me they wont release it.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:48pm

bbb_uk wrote on May 25th, 2006 at 7:56pm:
idb wrote on May 24th, 2006 at 3:10am:
Is the only reason a geographical is given is for those outside the area?  This obviously doesn't apply in the UK because when its up and running the number will be available from anywhere in the UK so therefore no one will be outside the area.

I agree there should be an alternative geographical but something tells me they wont release it.
The publication of a geographic alternative is very relevant. Let's assume that a NYC resident is visiting, say Los Angeles, and needs to folow up on say, a NYC-government issue. Dialling 311 in LA would be pointless as the LA call center will know nothing about NY issues. The geographic number allows someone outside the area to get through to the appropriate place.

I have not studied the UK SNEN proposals in any detail, but I suspect that if you dial 101 (or whatever it is) in Birmingham, you'll be put through to a Birmingham-area center, which may be useless if you are following-up something that happened in Glasgow.

Over here, the planners of these systems have signifgicantly greater foresight than the UK authorities, who simply bury their heads in the sand and sit back on their fat corporate backsides.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2006 at 6:32am

idb wrote on May 30th, 2006 at 11:48pm:
The publication of a geographic alternative is very relevant. Let's assume that a NYC resident is visiting, say Los Angeles, and needs to folow up on say, a NYC-government issue. Dialling 311 in LA would be pointless as the LA call center will know nothing about NY issues. The geographic number allows someone outside the area to get through to the appropriate place.
I agree here.

Quote:
I have not studied the UK SNEN proposals in any detail, but I suspect that if you dial 101 (or whatever it is) in Birmingham, you'll be put through to a Birmingham-area center, which may be useless if you are following-up something that happened in Glasgow.
From my understanding of it, I think it will cover several areas.  So it may cover Birmingham and surrounding areas.  Obvious in this example, it wouldn't cover Glasgow.  I assume therefore that if you dialled 101, they will transfer you to Birmingham but not sure actually.

I personally am not in favour of this number because apparently there are still some issues where you have to ring the police directly because the 101 will only cover certain non-emergencies things.  If this is the case, then it will/can cost us more.  10p for the call to 101 to find out that we then still have to ring the relevant police on probably their 0845.  As I said I'm not entirely sure how it will work, if they can/will transfer you to other 101 areas or to, in this example, Birmingham police, then that is fine otherwise it can cost more.

If they do/can forward the call then this will be at the cost of the 101 call centre so chances are not likely.

For calling my local police, I'm still going to continue to contact them direct for as long as possible especially as they still operate a geo and haven't been conned into issuing a so-called local rate 0845.

IP Logged

Blaydonuk

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 1:15pm

In the North East of England, calls to 101 are initially being shared between the Police Call centre and Newcastle and Sunderland council call centres - with other councils to be rolled in over time.

Calls will route between all three randomnly and where a call hits a council but needs police action it will be transferred as a Warm call - i.e data keyed by the operator will transfer too (personally dont believe the technology is in place for that).

Calls received on 101 by the police that need to be dealt with as a police emergency are to be transferred to the 999 queue - the call could then be re-answered by the same operator! However it was felt that if the police operator handled the 101 call as a 999 call it would cause confusion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge