Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ofcom told off (kindof) by the Homeoffice (Read 6,329 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Ofcom told off (kindof) by the Homeoffice
May 31st, 2006 at 5:58pm

Going through the history of Ofcom's consultations, I noticed the one titled, Regulation on VoIP Services.  At the time, I never got around to reading this so therefore didn't reply to the consultation but curious at who had replied I noticed the response from Hazel Blears here.

I quote from it:-

Quote:
I am writing on behalf of the Home Office, the Police Service and other agencies to express concern about the light-touch approach Ofcom is taking to ensuring the availability of access to the emergency services to users of VoIP services, as set out in Ofcom's further consultation on the regulation of VoIP services.

We are dealing here with an important public safety issue, with the possibility of thousands of consumers living and working without immediate means of summoning emergency assistance, and very possibility, without the knowledge that they are in such a situation.  That is too important an issue to leave entirely to the marketplace to resolve...

Reading more into, it appears that our infamous Ofcom and what seems their main policy on avoiding any/all regulation, wanted to leave it upto VoIP providers whether they provided access to emergency services or not.  Basically, Ofcom were only encouraging VoIP providers to provide access to emergency services but not actually making it so they had no choice.

Hazel Blears and co obviously (and good on them) don't like this at all!

Maybe we should inform Hazel Blears that it isn't just on this occasion that Ofcom have taken a lighter-touch to teleco's instead of using their regulatory powers?  As we all know, Ofcom have always shown favourtism towards teleco's even if that means it is a detriment to us consumers!

Come on Ofcom - take note that you are here for us consumers as well, or have you forgotten?

IP Logged

gdh82

Re: Ofcom told off (kindof) by the Homeoffice
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2006 at 9:14pm

A good spot bbb_uk and a very serious point raised by Hazel Blears.  I thought the phrase "Ofcom's light-touch approach" sum's up very well their tendency to be inactive and ultimately ineffective.

bbb_uk wrote on May 31st, 2006 at 5:58pm:
Maybe we should inform Hazel Blears that it isn't just on this occasion that Ofcom have taken a lighter-touch to teleco's instead of using their regulatory powers?  As we all know, Ofcom have always shown favourtism towards teleco's even if that means it is a detriment to us consumers!

Your suggestion made me think that perhaps members of this forum could be doing more to raise this and related issues by contacting not just Hazel Blears but other MPs too.  It might be particularly timely to try to do more to put the spotlight on Ofcom now it is currently reviewing the telephone numbering plan and now its chief executive, Stephen Carter, has announced his forthcoming departure.

I'm afraid I don't know who the key MPs are, the relevant committees etc but I'm sure others on this forum do!  I remember there's an Early Day Motion objecting to the use of 0870 - maybe there should be  an EDM objecting to Ofcom's light-touch approach !!

What do others think generally about putting the spot-light on Ofcom over this summer in particular ?
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2006 at 9:15pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 6:30pm

gdh82 wrote on May 31st, 2006 at 9:14pm:
A good spot bbb_uk and a very serious point raised by Hazel Blears.  I thought the phrase "Ofcom's light-touch approach" sum's up very well their tendency to be inactive and ultimately ineffective.

Maybe we should inform Hazel Blears that it isn't just on this occasion that Ofcom have taken a lighter-touch to teleco's instead of using their regulatory powers?  As we all know, Ofcom have always shown favourtism towards teleco's even if that means it is a detriment to us consumers!

Your suggestion made me think that perhaps members of this forum could be doing more to raise this and related issues by contacting not just Hazel Blears but other MPs too.  It might be particularly timely to try to do more to put the spotlight on Ofcom now it is currently reviewing the telephone numbering plan and now its chief executive, Stephen Carter, has announced his forthcoming departure.
I'm afraid that Hazel Blears wouldn't be much help.  It also appears that Ofcom (like the BBC) are pretty-much their own boss with no-one else to answer to.  Any complaints we make would likely just be thrown out.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 9:00pm

If you are dissatisfied with the performance of any government department or public body (ie Ofcom) you can complain to the National Audit Office (www.nao.gov.uk). ; They are reasonablely independent of the Government (they report to Parliament direct) and produce some hard hitting reports.

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 4:24pm

Hazel Blears and co obviously (and good on them) don't like this at all!

Come on Ofcom - take note that you are here for us consumers as well, or have you forgotten?

The problem is that Ofcom's consultations are always such a pathetically hollow sham and take so little notice of any comments made and are so great in number that most of us can no longer be bothered to respond.

Stephen Carter has been a total disgrace during his term of office and has spent all his time featherbedding his nest for some next cushy job at board level at BT, NTL, Vodafone or wherever.  The man has no conscience whatsoever and not a scintilla of concern for the citizen consumer in his body (just like Tony Blair I now notice).  He is clearly a total careerist committed only to his next pay rise and highly undeserved promotion and enoblement.

The fact that Hazel Blears has to write complaining about the total incompetence of the Board directors of one of New Labour's own creations surely says it all! Angry Cry  

See www.newlabourscandals.co.uk/bodies.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2006 at 4:24pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge