Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ARGOS catalogue (Read 8,217 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

ARGOS catalogue
May 25th, 2006 at 2:52pm

Sorry if my first post on this does appear but I seem to have set my new protection package too high and it wouldn't send!   While looking in the ARGOS catalogue yesterday, I discovered on p519 that they are quoting as "free" some manufacturers' 0845 helpline nos - surely this is very misleading and will cause those who don't fully understand to incur large phone bills?   I did pass this info to OFCOM, as it supported my comments on numbering - that it is already confusing enough without making it worse!

Also, to enable me to pursue my multistranded complaint against the dreadfully incompetent HSBC, could someone please confirm if ALL 0845 nos have a geographical end?   (Their senior manager is already trying to tell me they're "local rate" and it would be great if I could also tell him there IS a geographical no for my local branch!)

Thank you.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: ARGOS catalogue
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2006 at 7:38pm

Barbara wrote on May 25th, 2006 at 2:52pm:
could someone please confirm if ALL 0845 nos have a geographical end?   (Their senior manager is already trying to tell me they're "local rate" and it would be great if I could also tell him there IS a geographical no for my local branch!)
It is possible that some (I mean some as in very, very few) might have their 0845 route to VoIP which may mean that the 0845 doesn't route to a geographical number but in most cases all 08x, 09x numbers route to geographical number(s).

If you look at this and this page from the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) you can clearly see that they are of the opinion (as is Ofcom) that 084x is not local rate and 087x is not national rate.  You may want to print both these pages off and show it to the manager if you want.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2006 at 7:52pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2006 at 8:44pm

If you give us the details of your local branch, we might be able to supply you some ammo for your arguement.

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2006 at 12:34pm

Thank you both for your help, this is very useful, particularly as the people at OFCOM who promised a reply two weeks ago seem to be all on holiday at the moment (hence the extended consultations I suspect)!

My local branch of HSBC is Saffron Walden and it is not the branch which is the problem; indeed, my complaint has been rumbling on for some time and it is an HSBC senior manager, Bill Stephens, at their head office, who has told me there is no geographical number for the 0845 for my branch and that 0845 is a "local rate" call.

I have probably confused this post by titling it ARGOS but that is how my post started.

At least I can now formulate a (polite-ish) reply to HSBC and tell them not only are they totally incompetent that are also WRONG!!!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2006 at 2:47pm

A quick check reveals:

HSBC
10 Market Place
Saffron Walden
Essex
CB10 1JX

Tel: 08457 404 404
Fax: 01799 563 939

There is a chance that if you try nearby numbers to 01799 563 939 you may find one for your branch.  For example, 01799 563 93x or 01799 563 94x.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2006 at 6:22pm

Thanks Dave. Tried the number suggested by PM (563945)which no longer works, the no used to be 563941 which was also withdrawn.   Tried a couple of other nos around this.  It has been suggested in PM that this no might now be a VOIP routed no which, I think means, it doesn't have a geog end no.   So much for customer services!!! But thanks anyway.   IF I get anywhere with my complaint and do get a direct no, I will post it.   It is interesting that, when pursuing yet another complaint about a mix up by them with a SO, evenHSBC's own "Sevice Failure Team" couldn't get through to the branch!!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge