Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
0871 regulation - Pre-consultation (Read 37,296 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: 0871 regulation - Pre-consultation
Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 3:03am

I took the liberty of CC'ng my full Response to the ICSTIS Pre Consultation to this list of senior Ofcom personnel and Ofcom Board Members.

Although I suppose you could argue that we shouldn't pass this information into enemy hands I expect you will find that ICSTSIS may let Ofcom see the Responses to this consultation anyway eventually and I expect it does no harm to let especially the Non Exec Ofcom Board Directors who feature in this list know how much unhappiness there still is with the disgracefully inadequate nature of their proposals for the whole 084/7 regime and especially 0844, 0845 and 0871 numbers.

Here are the people I CC'd on my response:-

stephen.carter@ofcom.org.uk; david.currie@ofcom.org.uk; ed.richards@ofcom.org.uk; kip.meek@ofcom.org.uk; sean.williams@ofcom.org.uk; matt.peacock@ofcom.org.uk; clive.hillier@ofcom.org.uk; colette.bowe@ofcomconsumerpanel.org.uk; gareth.davies@ofcom.org.uk; philip.graf@ofcom.org.uk; millie.banerjee@ofcom.org.uk; ian.hargreaves@ofcom.org.uk; stephanie.liston@ofcom.org.uk; sara.nathan@ofcom.org.uk; gareth.davies@ofcom.org.uk; geoff.brighton@ofcom.org.uk; steve.unger@ofcom.org.uk

IP Logged

Bobbyboy

Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 11:29am

BB

thanks for the feed back. I have dealt with the issue of "cost to business" as OFCOM in their letter to me said it would cost business £100 million. I worked out on a 6 hour day the cost to Consumers at 10p /min x 60 min x 6 x million calls x 365 days came to £1.2 billion approx. It is an Anti Consumer practice.

There is also a difference - the Buinesses is benefiting by an UNFAIR Consumer Practice which is costing the consumer on a 6 hour day £1.2 billion compared to £100 M. The consumer is at a Unfair, unjust detriment in breach of Law.    Secondley there is no need for Business to have 0871 etc thus the argument about cost to business is irrelevant.

I think it may be time to have letters exchanged or details in order that I or you or any one else can forward to MEP, MP and OFT. I noted this site does not have for Private messages.

BB did you send to Sue Cook at the OFT - she is a Director there.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2006 at 11:30am by Bobbyboy »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 11:56am

Bobbyboy wrote on Sep 30th, 2006 at 11:29am:
I noted this site does not have for Private messages.

BB did you send to Sue Cook at the OFT - she is a Director there.

There is a "Personal Message" link on the bottom of every post by a forum member.  Just click that to send them a Private Message.  However you also need to go into your User Profile for the forum and turn on the feature that sends you an email and brings up a message box when you visit the forum if you have new Private Message.

I have constantly copied in Tessa Jowell the Culture minister and senior directors at the OFT and Competition Commission on many of my communications over the last two years but they have all turned deaf ears.  084/7 is a benefit fest for various important friends of New Labour in the commercial sector who do things New Labour wants and make donations to New Labour.  That is why this blatant scam never stops but only gets worse every month.  The media seem totally stupid on telecoms pricing issues and the business correspondents never take an interest in a matter worth over £1 billion a year of cost to consumers.  And when MPs question Ofcom do they go on about the £1 billion 084/7 scam.  No they get obsessed with 118 Directory Enquiries which there are lots of scams and is another area of major Ofcom incompetence and deceit (for instance call centres offer to connect you to the number you want but still go on charging 50p per minute) but nowhere near on the scale of 084/7.

I'm not quite clear of your background BobbyBoy and what has suddenly brought you to this web forum now rather than at an earlier stage?
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2006 at 11:57am by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #33 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 5:43pm

ICSTIS have published the responses to their pre-consultation on 0871 numbers here.

Looking at the lack of consumer response then I'd say we've lost the battle to have, at the very least, charging whilst in a queue prohibited.  Sad

I know this is only the pre-consultation but due to lack of response ICSTIS may not even mention it in their final consultation around February 2007.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #34 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:25pm

bbb_uk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006 at 5:43pm:
ICSTIS have published the responses to their pre-consultation on 0871 numbers here.

Looking at the lack of consumer response then I'd say we've lost the battle to have, at the very least, charging whilst in a queue prohibited.  Sad

I know this is only the pre-consultation but due to lack of response ICSTIS may not even mention it in their final consultation around February 2007.

Dear bbb,

I have only just seen the published response list to the pre-consultation (as I was desubscribed from this thread due to my new forum member ID) and it is very disappointing that so few members of the public have responded and I'm afraid it only goes to confirm that I was correct to be very disappointed that Daniel did not bother to send an email to all forum members 3 or 4 days before the Pre-Consultation closed advising them it was critical to respond.

Of particular concern is that the Site Owner has once again failed to respond to an important consultation document himself, still rather suggesting that his main priorities seem to lie elsewhere.  Also bbb_uk did you respond to this pre-consultation since although I see the name of the other main forum moderator on the responses list I do not see a name that appears to be you.  There is another member with the same first name as you who has responded but I know from previous PM correspondence with that person he is not you.  Perhaps though you are the anonymous respondent to the consultation?

The responses from the telco groups are the usual sickening stuff claiming that not much consumer detriment is involved so not much protection is needed.  No mention of extotionate rates from mobiles to 0871 potentially being charged and also not even being able to call the numbers at all from overseas.  Also very disappointing is the BT response where the commercial side of BT now seems to have gained the upper hand over the ethical and corporate responsibility side and their response seems an all out attempt to ensure a replacement for the substantial amounts of revenue their NTS number vending side will lose when 0870 revenue share is abolished.

Don't forget though that this is only a Pre-Consultation though and will lead to the full Consultation document in a couple of months time.  I can only hope that Daniel will remember to email all the forum's members 3 or 4 days before that Consultation closes (any more than that and people will put off doing it and not get round to it) stressing it is vital for as many people as possible to respond.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:34pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #35 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:17pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:25pm:
Perhaps though you are the anonymous respondent to the consultation?
Yep, that's me.

I believe the lack of responses were many reasons including:-
  • The Ofcom consultation gave the impression that our concerns about call queuing, etc would be solved with the announcement of 0871 coming under ICSTIS remit.
  • People just naturally thought that at the very least the main concern about call queuing and being charged would be dealt with as normal as it is for 09x numbers under ICSTIS remit.
  • It was a pre-consultation and people couldn't be bothered responding to this and the next one - instead waiting until the final one!

I for one, didn't expect that ICSTIS was looking to apply what appears to be no rules at all really except coming up with a fancy new website so consumers didn't know they are premium rate numbers!

ICSTIS recommendations were basically to avoid applying cost transparency in adverts, etc, avoid applying call queuing, etc.  Basically, avoid applying anything at all.

The problem is we don't know if the option of prohibiting being charged whilst in a queue is even going to be mention in the final consultation on this so let's hope the option is still there.

I'm going to read the consultation shortly after it comes out next time instead of waiting until the very last minute as I normally do.

I mentioned this consultation a few times on MSE but got hardly any response at all which is a shame because we all know people hate these numbers but can't be bothered responding or haven't the time to respond.

I think we need to get MSE involved in this next (final) consultation otherwise there will be no difference between 0871 numbers now and when they will be under ICSTIS remit except a fancy new website!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge