Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cheap Call Providers - BT Landline Customers (Read 82,182 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Cheap Call Providers - BT Landline Customers
Sep 18th, 2006 at 4:11pm

Edited:
This thread is out of date and no longer maintained due to the constantly changing market of landline providers and call charges.

Last Updated:  20/07/08
Below is a list of cheap call providers for those on a BT landline and continuing to pay their linerental to BT.

The below list may not be the absolute cheapest available as prices can vary at any time but are considered to be the safest (due to varying prices) and offer ease of use at the time this post was updated (see top of post).  For example, there may be some dial-through operators that are slightly cheaper but this, in most cases, involves dialling a full 0844/0871 number and then dialling the number you are after in full international format.  Also any calls made via dial-through operators access numbers are charged for as soon as you finish dialling the appropriate 0844/0871 dial-through access number.

Line Rental Plan 1

It is recommended that you ensure you are on Unlimited Weekend Plan (formerly BT Together Option 1 Hour Plan) for which the current cost is £10.50 per month (£31.50 per quarter) when paying by Direct Debit and opt for online billing.

BT's Daytime, Evening & Weekend times for all calls except 0845/0870 and mobile:
Daytime: 6am - 6pm Monday to Friday
Evening: 6pm - 6am Monday to Friday
Weekend: All day Saturday & Sunday
BT's Daytime & Evening times for calls to 0845/0870 and mobiles:
Daytime: 6am - 6pm Everyday
Evening: 6pm - 6am Everyday
BT has abolished its separate Weekend rates for calls to mobiles, 0845 and 0870 only. This means that calls to these destinations cost the same during the daytime on Saturdays and Sundays as they do during the week. Similarly, evening weekend calls cost the same as weekday evening calls.

Cheapest Options for those without an all-inclusive tariff plan:

Geographically Charged Calls (those beginning 01, 02 or 03)
Daytime: 5p per call - not min (via Call18185**)
Evening: Free upto 90min (via Primus Saver (formerly Option 2)*)
Weekend: Free upto 90min (via Primus Saver (formerly Option 2)*)
084x/087x Calls

Always try the database here first, otherwise:-
0845 0870
Mon-Fri Daytime: 2p/min (via BT2) 6p/min (via Call18185**)
Sat-Sun Daytime: 0.5p/min (via Call18185**) 2p/min (via Call18185**)
Mon-Sun Evening: 0.5p/min (via Call18185**) 1.5p/min (via Call18185**)
For calls to 0844 and 0871/2/3, it is recommended to use BT.

077x, 078x, 079x (Mobile) Calls
Daytime: 6p/min (via Call18185**)
Evening: 6p/min (via Call18185**)
Weekend: 4.5p/min (via Call18185**)
Please note that BT has a 6p connection fee for calls (rising to 7p from 16th September) and Call18185 has a 5p connection fee for calls

For more information and possibly slightly cheaper calls then please use Money Saving Expert's (MSE) UK Call Checker, SayNoTo0870's Cheapest Call Providers and I also recommend reading MSE Martin's UKs Cheapest Home Phone Calls Provider article.

International Calls:

Please see MSE International Call Checker

Continued
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:36pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Cheap Call Providers - BT Landline Customers
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 4:15pm

Cheapest Options for those wanting/needing an all-inclusive tariff plan:

SkyTalk* - Charge £5 per month for their all-inclusive plan offering free calls upto 60mins per call.  Hang-up and redial before the 60mins to avoid being charged.  This plan is only available to current Sky Television subscribers.

Compared to the non all-inclusive option mentioned above, Sky's £5 monthly charge is equivalent to approximately 100 daytime geographical calls a month (4 daytime calls each day) with Call18185.

Primus Saver Max* - Charge £5.99 per month for their all-inclusive plan offering free calls upto 90mins per call.  Hang-up and redial before the 90mins to avoid being charged.

Compared to the non all-inclusive option mentioned above, Primus Saver Max's £5.99 monthly charge is equivalent to approximately 120 daytime geographical calls a month (4 daytime calls each day) with Call18185.

When using all-inclusive providers it is recommended to continue to use providers listed on previous post for calls to 0845/0870, Mobile and International Calls.  This is because generally speaking all-inclusive providers charge more for calls to these type of numbers than the providers listed on previous post.

Ease of use with an Orchid Dialler:

An Orchid Dialler by Orchid Telecom allows you to pre-programme the box so calls are automatically routed via your choosen provider depending on type of number, and time of day (eg Daytime, evening & weekends).  The Orchid Dialler can also be set to bar certain types of calls that you choose like personal numbers beginning 070, premium rate 09x numbers, etc.  It costs £14.99 and if you order online here and enter the discount code as mentioned in this thread when prompted.

Orchid Telecom offer free initial setup if requested at time of ordering (see here).  To aid Orchid Telecom, below is the normal settings for each cheap call provider options mentioned on previous post:

Option 1 (for those without an all-inclusive plan)
Daytime Evening Weekends
Geographical Calls: Call18185 No routing (via CPS) No routing (via CPS)
0845/0870 Calls: BT (CPS Override - 1280) Call18185 Call18185
Mobile Calls: Call18185 Call18185 Call18185

Option 2 (for those with an all-inclusive plan)
Daytime Evening Weekends
Geographical Calls: No routing (via CPS) No routing (via CPS) No routing (via CPS)
0845/0870 Calls: BT (CPS Override - 1280) Call18185 Call18185
Mobile Calls: Call18185 Call18185 Call18185
Remember to choose your own individual settings for things like premium rate and international numbers, etc.

Now if you're happy with these settings simply email orchid and provide them with a link to this page and your chosen option number and any other routing you would like programmed into the dialler.

Continued
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2008 at 4:39pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 4:18pm

Notes

1 Although it is sometimes possible to get slightly cheaper linerental from other suppliers this isn't recommended as other suppliers may block access (most generally do) to other cheaper call providers override codes (eg Call1899/Call18866/Call18185 & BT) thereby forcing you to pay their rates regardless of other cheaper providers that may exist.  Only BT have to allow full access to any and all other cheaper providers.  To benefit from some calls that are cheaper with BT, you need to ensure that you continue to pay linerental to BT.
2 If using a CPS* company like Primus, SkyTalk, Euphony, etc to route some calls via BT and not a CPS company you need to use override code 1280.  This then allows you to benefit from the some cheap calls that BT may do.  This option may not be available to anyone who moves their linerental away from BT.
* These companies are known as CPS (Carrier Pre-Selection) companies.  For those with a BT landline they can arrange to have outgoing calls routed via their network instead of BT's without the need of dialling override codes or dial-through access numbers.  This allows cheaper calls than using BT and generally speaking CPS companies don't have a minimum term contract unless you agree to have your linerental billed by these instead of BT.  You continue at all times to have incoming calls handled by BT and continue to keep your existing BT number.
** These companies are known as override providers.  For those with a BT landline then you can benefit from their rates instead of BT's by simply dialling a 4 or 5 digit shortcode.  These companies are a no obligation, with no monthly subscription charge and also don't have any minimum term contracts. These companies are commonly known as a no-frills company with a lack of customer services via telephone (online only) and sometimes the call quality may not be as good when using CPS companies.  You continue at all times to have incoming calls handled by BT and continue to keep your existing BT number.  Please note that Call18185 has a 5p connection fee and charge per minute, rounded up to nearest whole penny.

Thanks to Heinz for his post here (the idea behind this) and to the MSE Team and other Forum members for spotting these and other good deals/special offers.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008 at 8:27pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 5:57pm

Many thanks for all the effort that was put into this.

Some  point,s  18185 charge 5p a minute Evenings to call Mobiles not 2p as stated.

Calls to 01/02 numbers via 1899 are free to BT users (just 3p connection) not 1p a min.Weekends I am not sure what a cable supplier has to do with a BT Customer.

Any particular reason why you havent mentioned the new Euphony 24/7 inclusive calls  18 month deal.

Also  when you say
"Compared to the non all-inclusive option mentioned above, Sky's £5 monthly charge is equivalent to approximately 166 daytime geographical calls a month (5 daytime calls each day) with Call1899. "
is it necessary to say daytime calls,when it equals that whatever time you make them?

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2006 at 6:23pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 6:32pm

Hi Orsonkart,

I've made those amendments.  I'm working on the cable version of this and I had the call prices for geographicals mixed up - it's sorted now.

Quote:
Many thanks for all the effort that was put into this.
I got the idea from Heinz very handy post on MSE.

Quote:
Also  when you say
"Compared to the non all-inclusive option mentioned above, Sky's £5 monthly charge is equivalent to approximately 166 daytime geographical calls a month (5 daytime calls each day) with Call1899. "
is it necessary to say daytime calls,when it equals that whatever time you make them?
I've only mentioned it really because I've compared the inclusive plan to that of using Call1899 daytime and Primus during evening & weekends.  Trying to point out that it may not always be cheaper to have an inclusive plan dependings on usage of daytime calls.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2006 at 6:41pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2006 at 2:01pm

With Primus the Daytime rate doesn't kick in until 08:00.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 1:41pm

I have today updated the 0845/0870 rates as BT's new rates for these numbers came into effect on 1st October.

BexTech wrote on Oct 1st, 2006 at 2:01pm:
With Primus the Daytime rate doesn't kick in until 08:00.
Thanks for that, I didn't realise.  I'm going to keep at 6am to save confusion though as BT and other main competitors are at 6am.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2006 at 1:42pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 6:13pm

As pointed out by acezing in this thread and as mentioned on MSE, Call1899 are increasing their connection fee from 3p to 4p.

Due to this, I've now amended the Cheapest Call Providers thread accordingly and removed Call1899 and replaced it with Call18185 as they both charge 4p connection fee but Call18185 is cheaper on other type of calls like 0845/0870, etc compared to Call1899.

IP Logged

jocrow

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 1:29pm

I have been a 1899 user for approx. 12 months now and was interested to read your proposal that this method of calling could be used in conjuntion with primus saver 2 to benefit from free weekend and evening calls. How would this work ? Would I register with Primus and continue to prefix my daytime calls with 1899, would primus be aware of what am I doing, are they happy/condoning of this, could they stop it ? Are primus not suspicious of very low daytime call usage ? Are there any drawbacks ?          

I would be interested to hear of any first hand experiences, particularly of primuses level of customer service.

thank you

jo

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 1:41pm

jocrow wrote on Oct 28th, 2006 at 1:29pm:
How would this work ? Would I register with Primus and continue to prefix my daytime calls with 1899
That's correct.
Quote:
would primus be aware of what am I doing, are they happy/condoning of this, could they stop it ? Are primus not suspicious of very low daytime call usage ? Are there any drawbacks ?
Primus aren't aware that you are bypassing them.  They may not like it (which company would?) but even if they did know there is nothing they can do to stop you from using Call1899/Call18185.  So long as you continue to pay your linerental to BT then you are free to choose any number of providers, or different ones depending on type of number called and/or time of day, etc.

You may want to consider moving to Call18185 as they are cheaper for 0845/0870, mobile calls and charge the exact same as Call1899 for geographical 01/02 calls (ie 4p per call).

You may also want to consider getting an Orchid Dialler box as mentioned in my posts as this would save you having to remember to dial 1899 during the daytime to route your calls via them.  It can be setup to route calls depending on type of call and/or time of day.  This would mean you just dial numbers as normal without having to remember daytime before 6pm to prefix with 1899.

I'm on Primus now and there have been one or two problems reported on the MSE forum about getting charged for freephone but this was rectified.  I also believe they are expensive for 084x/087x calls (like most other providers to be honest) which is why Call18185 is better for these type of calls and only use Primus during the evening & weekends for geographical calls.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2006 at 1:43pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

jocrow

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:59am

thanks for that prompt and informative response.

I have today signed up to the primus saver 2 option. My only downside seems to be that B.T. have informed me that i will lose the "number withheld" facility. is there any prefix number that i can dial to occassionly give me the anonimity that is sometimes desirable, or would this become too cumbersome, particularly when used in conjuntion with 1899 ?

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 11:08am

jocrow wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:59am:
thanks for that prompt and informative response.

I have today signed up to the primus saver 2 option. My only downside seems to be that B.T. have informed me that i will lose the "number withheld" facility. is there any prefix number that i can dial to occassionly give me the anonimity that is sometimes desirable, or would this become too cumbersome, particularly when used in conjuntion with 1899 ?

It is true that the BT facility to permanently withhold your CLI is disabled when you make calls via another provider.

I assume that, on the odd occasion that you currently want to send your CLI (e.g. to F&F so their Caller Display will show it's you calling) you use the 1470 facility to override the permanant withhold and force the CLI to be sent.

Similarly, you can withhold your CLI for individual calls by using a 141 prefix.  If you use an Orchid V4 LCR, you can program that prefix for all calls.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 11:49am

jocrow wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:59am:
I have today signed up to the primus saver 2 option. My only downside seems to be that B.T. have informed me that i will lose the "number withheld" facility.
That's weird as we're with Primus and our number is withheld.  Now whether BT or Primus withhold this then I have no idea.  When we moved to Primus, I never had to ask Primus to withhold our number it was just withheld as it was before when we were on BT.

I'd wait and see if the number is withheld first after you switch over and take it from there.

IP Logged

parttimepar

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:41pm

Hi all,

I,ve had enough of BTs whole minute charging already, 14p charge for a one second call to my son's mobile! I am about to change over to Sky but I have grown so used to checking my recent calls and am unsure what Sky provides, do they do itemised billing at all and is it monthly or quarterly, they also say that they have no premium rate call barring, seems strange!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 2:16pm

parttimepar wrote on Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:41pm:
I,ve had enough of BTs whole minute charging already, 14p charge for a one second call to my son's mobile! I am about to change over to Sky but I have grown so used to checking my recent calls and am unsure what Sky provides, do they do itemised billing at all and is it monthly or quarterly, they also say that they have no premium rate call barring, seems strange!
It is my belief that itemised billing is possible but not sure if its online only type of thing.  I'd be surprised if a teleco wouldn't provide itemised billing as us customers do & would need to know (and check) that we're getting billed correctly.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge