Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 709,854 times)
andy9
Supreme Member

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #510 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 2:18pm

I thought that these numbers were rare around this area, but I've recently noticed a couple of surgeries with 0844 out-of-hours numbers.

Ordinary off-peak calls have never been 5 pence a minute on any BT or rival tariff, and actually even 0870 numbers are cheaper at those times, which shows what blatant liars the 5p/min 0844 providers are willing to be.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008 at 8:06pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #511 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 1:47pm

pw4 wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 1:17pm:
The cost of acquiring the numbers and the ongoing cost of receiving calls is a disincentive to adopting 03s

It is a sad fact that if patients are not paying for the surgery telephone system, then someone else has to.

The network diversion and queueing facilities provided by the telco on a 03 number would be no different to those on 0844. Any additional revenue to the (TCP) telco would simply be profiteering. There is also the issue of the local equipment at the surgery, which is funded out of the revenue share that would be sacrificed on adopting an 03 number. The "millions of pounds" is therefore the amount of charges that patients are paying to access NHS services, over and above whatever cost they would incur for making a "normal" (geographic) telephone call.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #512 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 10:45am

http://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/newsl/Doctors-surgeries-flouting-rules-by....

Doctors' surgeries flouting rules by charging patients to ring them

By Sundari Sankar

<<
Doctors' surgeries in Warwick district are continuing to use expensive telephone lines in defiance of government guidelines.
Five GP practices in the district are still operating with 0844 telephone numbers - which can cost patients up to 40p a minute.

The Department of Health has repeatedly advised primary care trusts that the use of such phone numbers is unacceptable and ministers have called on surgeries to switch back to normal-rate numbers.

Professor of patient and public involvement at Warwick University Jonathan Tritter said: “The Department of Health guidance is quite clear and it is not appropriate to make patients pay an unreasonable amount to make contact with their GP.

“It’s up to the government, primary care trusts and strategic health authorities to make sure the appropriate changes are made to put a stop to the matter.”

The charge for dialling an 0844 number can be 5p a minute from a landline - compared to just over 3p a minute to call a normal-rate number - rising up to 40p per minute from a mobile phone.

Part of the premium charge invariably paid by the caller to these numbers is passed on the renter of the line. GP surgeries have been accused of using the extra money gained to fund their telephone system.

Communications watchdog Ofcom’s guidelines state that public bodies should not use numbers beginning with 08 unless they also offer conventional numbers.

The surgeries in Warwick district currently operating with 0844 numbers are Dr Clarkson and partners at The Old Dispensary in Castle Street, Warwick, Dr Clowes and partners in Cubbington Road, Leamington, Dr Davies and partners at Abbey Medical Centre in Station Road, Kenilworth, Dr Letocq and partners at Brese Avenue, Warwick and the Priory Medical Centre in Cape Road (pictured), Warwick. Southam Surgery in Stowe Drive, Southam, is also still using the 0844 number.

A spokesperson for Dr Clowes and Partners surgery in Cubbington Road, said: “We have informed our patients via a patient leaflet how much it costs them to call the surgery.

“We deny that it is costing them more than a normal-rate phone call.”

In December 2006 Ofcom introduced a new countywide number range beginning with 03, aiming to put a stop to the use of 0844 numbers in all GP surgeries.

The then Health Minister Lord Warner asked primary care trusts to ensure that patients phoning practices do not pay more than a local geographical phone number.

A spokesperson for Warwickshire Primary Care Trust said: “As individual businesses surgeries can make their own arrangements for booking appointments. We would encourage any surgery to inform their patients of any call charges.”

The Department of Health has been gathering evidence and views on the subject in order to consider whether further action is necessary. A decision was expected to be reached by the end of this month.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #513 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 10:45am

http://www.daventrytoday.co.uk/news/Concern-over-GP-phoneline-costs.3917694.jp

Concern over GP phoneline costs

<<
AN INDEPENDENT voice for patients in the Daventry area could be reformed after people voiced fears about the cost of calling a new GP surgery phoneline.

Healthwatch, which was instrumental in saving Daventry's Danetre Hospital in the early 1990s, could be reformed following concerns raised by people about a new 0844 phone number at Danetre Medical Practice.

The practice switched from an 01327 number to the 0844 one this month, allowing patients to call at any time of the day to book, check or cancel appointments.

Calls are charged at 5p per minute from a BT landline, but some are concerned this is another NHS service they are being required to pay for.

Daventry resident John Birch was heavily involved in the original Healthwatch campaign and he is considering starting it up again. He said: "I don't believe the disadvantaged or elderly should be expected or required to pay inflated prices to fund a system that should be well enough funded from the NHS.

"Calling the new number from a mobile for three minutes could cost £1.20, and many people on lower incomes only have mobile phones rather than landlines.

"The new technology is most helpful, but why should it be funded by patients?

"I've had people call me, or stop me in the street about this, but people don't want their names being known because they're frightened of being de-listed by their GP.

"That in the modern age, people are frightened of speaking out – it's awful really."

Now Mr Birch is considering reforming Healthwatch to give people an independent forum to put their views across in the hope that it could challenge the issue over the phone number, but also provide a local, Daventry-focused liaison between Northamptonshire Teaching Primary Care Trust (PCT), which is incharge of GP services, Danetre Hospital and other health services.

Ruth Farthing, manager of Danetre Medical Practice, said: "We found that patients had problems getting through on the telephone to book appointments.

"To address this issue we decided to lease an automated telephone appointment book system that can take four callers simultaneously.

"The new system is expensive to lease and so we have changed our main telephone number to help subsidise the cost. We can assure patients that all revenue raised by the new number is to off-set the cost of this new service."

The Department of Health sent a letter to all PCTs at the start of March saying it was fact-finding about the use of 0844 numbers.

The PCT said other surgeries have been instructed not to sign up to 0844 numbers and that it is expecting more information from the East Midlands Strategic Health Authority soon.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #514 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:21pm

This is very similar to the previous article:

Source: Northampton Chronicle & Echo

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Concern-over-cost-of-calling.3923606.jp

<<
Concern over cost of calling surgery

A HEALTH watchdog in Northamptonshire could be reformed to chase up patient concerns about phonelines in GP surgeries.

Healthwatch, which helped save Daventry’s Danetre Hospital in the early 1990s, could be reformed following complaints about 0844 phone numbers at Danetre Medical Practice.

The practice switched from an 01327 number to the 0844 one this month, after changing to a more efficient call handling system which is becoming increasingly popular at many surgeries.

It charges patients 5p per minute from a BT landline, but patients are unhappy at having to pay for NHS services.

John Birch, who was heavily involved in the original Healthwatch, said: “The new technology is most helpful, but why should it be funded by patients?”

Mr Birch sad he was considering reforming Healthwatch to tackle the issue as he claimed patients were unwilling to speak out.

Ruth Farthing, manager of Danetre Medical Practice, defended its use of the system, which can handle four calls at once and allows patients to call at any time of the day.

She said: “The new system is expensive to lease and so we have changed our main telephone number to help subsidise the cost.

“We can assure patients that all revenue raised by the new number is to off-set the cost of this new service.”

Other surgeries in Northamptonshire have been told not to sign up to 0844 numbers by the Northamptonshire PCT until more information is collected by the East Midlands Strategic Health Authority.

Last Updated: 27 March 2008 5:25 PM
>>

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #515 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 7:59am

Just a thought, and I can't believe I'm the first to come up with this but:

If calling from overseas Dr surgeries using NEG give out an 0870 number. Surely this is banned and they should be forced to give out a geo no.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #516 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:23am

Keith wrote on Apr 4th, 2008 at 7:59am:
If calling from overseas Dr surgeries using NEG give out an 0870 number. Surely this is banned and they should be forced to give out a geo no.

An excellent point.

This would almost certainly be a breach of clause 29A of the GMS contract.

Quote:
29A. The Contractor shall not be a party to any contract or other arrangement under which the number for telephone services to be used by -

29A.1 patients to contact the practice for any purpose related to the Contract; or

29A.2 any other person to contact the practice in relation to services provided as part of the health service

starts with the digits 087 ..., unless the service is provided free to the caller.

A quick check has found that not all those who publish a 0844 main number on the NHS Choices website also advise a 0870 number, however I have a list of around 60 cases to be going on with.

Receipt of remuneration from patients (through the revenue share on a g6 0844 number) is a breach of clause 483 that is presently being disregarded. The fact of a breach of contract may not therefore be seen as being significant. I will nonetheless pursue this matter - unless anyone would wish to PM me asking for all my collected data so that they may do so.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #517 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 11:46am

I had already emailed my PCT, but I have done so again with your quote of the contract.

I find it difficult to believe that I'm the first to have thought of this, but if that is the case should not all PCTs be contacted (or even relevant Drs surgeries be contacted. It would blow a hole in the set up if Geo Nos were given out.

Can a single email be sent to them all.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #518 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 10:05am

Keith wrote on Apr 4th, 2008 at 11:46am:
I had already emailed my PCT, but I have done so again with your quote of the contract.

I find it difficult to believe that I'm the first to have thought of this, but if that is the case should not all PCTs be contacted (or even relevant Drs surgeries be contacted. It would blow a hole in the set up if Geo Nos were given out.

I have sent the info to my PCT and surgery weeks ago, but they do not respond!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #519 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 1:36pm

Keith wrote on Apr 4th, 2008 at 11:46am:

Given that use of 0870 numbers is in breach of the GMS contract, it is hardly surprising that very few of these are published by NHS Choices. I have however found 41 of them. Only 2 of these are overseas contact numbers. One could assume that all other 0844 users deny telephone access from overseas to patients and those treating them. For obvious reasons, none publish geographic alternative numbers for this purpose.

An email has been sent to all 28 of the PCT Chief Executives who are apparently openly allowing a breach of the contract, with an appropriate distribution of copies. Both the message and the list are too long to reproduce here.

I have little doubt that this information, whilst from an unchallengeable public source, is far from complete.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #520 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 2:01pm

They also breach the contract by use of 0844 numbers as has been commented by others and the minister for health, hasn't stopped them doing it or forced them back to 01 numbers, they are just treating every one with contempt!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #521 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 9:30am

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Home-flooded-with-calls-in.3960270.jp

Home flooded with calls in phone number mix-up

<<
A Northampton home has been flooded with calls after GP surgeries in the town changed their numbers to an 0844 number.
Chris Gow, who lives in Obelisk Rise, Kingsthorpe, said he had been getting late-night calls since the numbers changed two months ago.

Mr Gow's phone number has begun with the digits 844 for the past 30 years, but said when he complained about the problem it was suggested he got a new number.

He said: "I get dozens of people phoning me trying to get their doctor. It's bad enough they get charged extra to call their doctor but when they call me by mistake they have to pay for that call again."

The new numbers cost 5p to call from a BT landline and more from mobile networks, but GP practices – including Abington Health Centre, Delapre Medical Centre and Danetre Medical Practice – said they helped them handle calls more efficiently.

Mark Leonard, manager of Delapre Medical Centre, said the new system was only possible using 0844 numbers.

"We do a patient survey and the surgery scored low for accessibility because of the old telephone system.

"Since the new one has come in, that score has gone up by about 40 per cent."
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #522 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 9:32am

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News...

Two hospital calls cost patient £127

<<
AN ESSEX hospital has sparked outrage after it emerged an epileptic patient was charged £2.59 per minute when he phoned to arrange an appointment.

The “extortionate” rate emerged after Wayne Marshall ran up a £127 phone bill from just two calls to the outpatients department of Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.

Mr Marshall, 30, had been trying to rearrange the time of an appointment and was placed on hold when he dialled the 0844 number.

The married father-of-two was left hanging on the telephone for 21 minutes when he made the first call at a price of £55, followed by a 28-minute wait the same day, costing him £72.

Last night the hospital said it only charged local rates of about five pence and could not understand why Mr Marshall had been hit with such a large amount.

Mr Marshall, who is unable to work because of the severity of his epileptic fits, said he would refuse to pay the £127 racked up on March 14.

The Witham man also said he feared others, without itemised bills, may be unaware if they have suffered the same problem.

He said: “I eventually got through on the second call, explained that I needed to change my appointment time and that was it, but when I looked at my bill online, I was absolutely flabbergasted.

“I would have thought it would have been no more than a few quid, even with all the time I spent on hold.

“I have spoken to BT and they have told me that there is no mistake. This is especially bad for elderly people if they do not have an itemised bill as they may be in the dark about how much it is costing them to make these calls.”

He said he was now planning to speak to his local MP, Brooks Newmark, to see if he would support his case.

A spokeswoman for Mid Essex Hospitals Trust, which runs Broomfield, invited Mr Marshall to get in touch with them.

She said: “We have been on the 0844 number for over a year and it is charged at a “lo-call” rate and that is the same from wherever you call in the country.

“If Mr Marshall wants this to be looked into, he can contact the trust and discuss it and perhaps BT should look into this as well.

“We have not had any other comments or complaints since it was introduced.

“It is not premium rate, it is just a non-geographic number, I have no idea why this has happened but if he wants to come to us, we will see what we can do. I don't know if it is down to us or the phone provider.”
>>

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #523 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 10:58am

idb wrote on Apr 9th, 2008 at 9:30am:
Mark Leonard, manager of Delapre Medical Centre, said the new system was only possible using 0844 numbers.

And herein this statement is the proof that the Delapre Medical Centre requires patients to pay for the telephone system. Had it used any other NTS number, it, apparently, would not have been "possible".

idb wrote on Apr 9th, 2008 at 9:30am:
"We do a patient survey and the surgery scored low for accessibility because of the old telephone system.

"Since the new one has come in, that score has gone up by about 40 per cent."

It's the modern 21st century way of running the NHS whereby the outcome of "customer satisfaction" surveys can apparently permit NHS providers to charge patients.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #524 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:46am

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge