NEG propaganda (Read 709,797 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #555 - May 3rd, 2008 at 3:12am

NGMsGhost wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 2:50am:
Good news indeed.

Sadly not quite so good as it should be - see here.

Members may also like to review the following web sites, every one of them directly connected with the hospital trust:

1. NHS Choices search
2. The NHS Choose and Book website
3. The NHS networks list of acute trusts (shows other cases)
4. Radio North Tees (works on MS IE, not Mozilla)
5. The University of Teesside

(Ms Fletcher has been briefed)

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #556 - May 3rd, 2008 at 9:38am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 3:12am:
NGMsGhost wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 2:50am:
Good news indeed.

Sadly not quite so good as it should be - see here.

Members may also like to review the following web sites, every one of them directly connected with the hospital trust:

1. NHS Choices search
2. The NHS Choose and Book website
3. The NHS networks list of acute trusts (shows other cases)
4. Radio North Tees (works on MS IE, not Mozilla)
5. The University of Teesside

(Ms Fletcher has been briefed)

It sems that this is like a serious case of cancer and that while the primary 0844 has now been removed the secondaries have already spread and established themselves. Shocked Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #557 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:23pm

http://www.harlowherald.co.uk/content/hlwherald/news/story.aspx?brand=HLHOnline&...

Anger over 0844 surgery numbers

17:09 - 07 May 2008

<<
DOCTORS' surgeries have been accused of making money out of patients by using 0844 telephone numbers which are not classed as local calls.

Kay Westgate, 68, of Mallows Green, Harlow, contacted the Herald to complain that she has always had free local calls to 01279 numbers.

But since her surgery, the Barbara Castle Health Centre in Broadley Road, changed its number to a 0844 code, she is now being charged.

The previous landline number allowed patients to talk directly to a receptionist at the surgery, whereas the new service offers access to the correct department through a series of menu options.

Mrs Westgate described the changeover as "underhand" and feared that elderly people would be the worst hit when they realised they were paying more to make a doctor's appointment.

She claims that posters in the surgery advertising the new number describe it as "low cost" but does not specify what the cost is.

"When I asked staff what the poster meant by low cost, they said they didn't know how much it would cost," Mrs Westgate said.

"I pay extra so I get free landline calls. When I got my phone bill the four calls I had made had come to 60p which is more than a local call.

"The authority is not letting people know the cost and I know one other surgery has changed its number."

She added: "It's wrong to make money out of the patients, particularly the elderly.

"I don't know if the patients' group know about this or not, but to my mind they've done it very underhand. They may think it's more efficient, but its costing people money."

However, West Essex Primary Care Trust was keen to point out that patients can speak to their GP about the new cost and that some telephone line providers will discount the charge if they recognise the number as a healthcare centre.

A spokesman for the PCT added: "Calling an 0844 number may be marginally more expensive particularly for callers using discounted tariffs. However, some telephone providers will accept 0844 as a discounted number when it is a known healthcare facility.

"There are benefits to these new telephone systems for patients. The caller will have greater ease of access directly to the services they require such as appointments or repeat prescriptions. West Essex PCT encourages all GP practices to discuss changes to telephone systems with patients in advance and to work to minimise the impact on patients."

What do you think? E-mail heraldnews@archant.co.uk
>>
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008 at 7:26pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #558 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:46pm

I'm sorry but the irony of that one cracked me up.

The Barbara Castle Health Centre is the latest villain! 

Barbara Castle, darling of the left wing in the 1960s - and this is happening under our caring ZaNuLabour government!

Classic.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008 at 8:41pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #559 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:52pm

idb wrote on May 7th, 2008 at 7:23pm:
<<some telephone providers will accept 0844 as a discounted number when it is a known healthcare facility>>

Members may be interested to know that the following providers have confirmed that they would of course offer no such special arrangement:

- BT
- Virginmedia
- Orange
- Vodaphone

Others may wish to confirm this with their providers.

I fear that the quoted statement falls well in line with the subject of this thread.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #560 - May 7th, 2008 at 10:16pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 7th, 2008 at 7:52pm:
I fear that the quoted statement falls well in line with the subject of this thread.

There are no mobile providers that include 0844 numbers in bundled minutes.  No need to check as it is self evidently impossible given the laws of economics.

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #561 - May 9th, 2008 at 2:15am

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/09/fury-as-gp-surgeries-profit-from-phone-...

Fury as GP surgeries profit from phone calls

<<
A handful of GP surgeries in South Staffordshire are continuing to make money by using premium rate phone numbers, it has emerged.

The numbers, which start with 0844 and cost 5p a minute, work by charging a premium rate to patients and part of the excess cost that a patient pays is paid to the surgeries by the telephone companies.

This has sparked criticism from patients’ groups and even the Department of Health, which in December 2006 said patients should not be “exploited” by the practice.

Health Secretary Alan Johnson has also spoken against the use of premium rate numbers in Parliament, telling MPs that patients should not have to pay more than a local rate call. He added that the use of 0844 numbers could amount to a breach of the GP contract.

While most practices now use local rate numbers, a small number are still using the 0844 numbers, including six in South Staffordshire.

They are Salters Meadow Health Centre, Chase Terrace; Barton-Under-Needwood Health Centre in Barton; Dr I M Turner & Partners in Coven; Dr I M Turner & Partners in Brewood, and The Aldergate Practice and The Hollies Medical Practice, both in Tamworth.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #562 - May 14th, 2008 at 11:53am

http://www.harlowherald.co.uk/content/hlwherald/postbag/story.aspx?brand=HLHOnli...

Letters for Harlow, Bishop's Stortford and the surrounding area

Cut off and charged by surgery

11:35 - 14 May 2008

<<
SIR - Great article on the cover of this week's Herald!

I am a patient at the Barbara Castle surgery and had to call for an appointment last week. I called at 8.30am. First time I was fifth in the line to be answered. Seven minutes past and I reached position one in the queue and was then cut off. I called back and was position 14 - 16 minutes later I was cut off again. Perhaps the surgery was not open so early, but I should have not sat on hold for so long to be cut off.

So at 5p a minute I paid £1.15 for nothing. What a good idea!

A few years ago I received a letter from my doctor telling me that 'To improve the service we offer the patients we will no longer be open on a Saturday'. Perhaps changing to 0844 also improves the service, but not for the patients.

Interestingly the PCT says they don't benefit from 0844, but in-fact they do get a kick back from the call charge along with phone companies.

Name and address supplied
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #563 - May 15th, 2008 at 11:48am

http://www.harlowherald.co.uk/content/hlwherald/news/story.aspx?brand=HLHOnline&...

No call discounts for patients

07:33 - 15 May 2008

<<
TELECOM companies will not discount patients who ring doctors' surgeries with new 0844 codes.

Last week the Herald reported that the Barbara Castle Health Centre, in Broadley Road, had recently changed its phone number from an 01279 local code to an 0844 number.

This means patients who received free calls to 01 and 02 numbers are now charged for ringing the surgery.

A spokesman for West Essex Primary Care Trust responded by saying that some telephone providers will accept 0844 as a discounted number when it is a known healthcare facility.

However, the Herald has been contacted by a number of people who have spoken their telephone providers and have been told that they do not offer this discounted service.

John Smoleskis told the Herald: "I was also told that if I told my telephone line provider, they would add it as a free call.

"This is untrue. I have spoken to Virgin Media (my telephone provider) and BT. Neither provides this service.

"I also asked about the call charges to 0844 numbers. Virgin charges a 5p connection charge then 5p per minute, and for a regular landline call there is no connection charge and it costs 4.3p per minute."

K Garrod, also a Virgin Media user, added that they were also told that there was no discount for 0844 numbers and was then told to write to the Customer Care Team.

Another reader, who did not wish to be named, added: "Perhaps the PCT would like to explain which telephone providers will accept 0844 as a discounted number when it is a known healthcare facility. I bet they can't."

Arthur Bennett, 70, of Red Willow, contacted the Herald to explain that when he tried to complain about the change in number, he couldn't speak to anyone and had to put his complaint in writing.

"I phoned the doctor's to make an appointment and I got an answerphone which you go through and press buttons, then I got music, then I got a recorded message saying 'I'm sorry lines are busy please call back'," Mr Bennett said.

"I walked to the surgery to make the appointment and when I was there the surgery manager was standing there, so I asked to speak to her and the receptionist said 'is it a complaint' to which I said yes, and she said 'you have to put it in writing'."

Liz McGranahan, locality director for Harlow for West Essex PCT, said: "Changes to phone systems are a matter for the practice and decisions are not taken by the PCT.

"We are not aware of any other surgeries that are planning to change their phone numbers to 0844 and encourage all our practices to discuss changes of this nature with their patients in advance and to minimise the impact of such changes on patients."

A spokesman for Network Europe Group, which supplies business phone systems said that service providers do include 0844 numbers in their packages from "time to time" and that "Virgin Mobile have in the past included these".

What do you think? E-mail heraldnews@archant.co.uk
>>
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2008 at 11:48am by idb »  

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #564 - May 15th, 2008 at 2:00pm

idb wrote on May 15th, 2008 at 11:48am:
A spokesman for Network Europe Group, which supplies business phone systems said that service providers do include 0844 numbers in their packages from "time to time" and that "Virgin Mobile have in the past included these".

NEG talking out of their backsides again then?

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #565 - May 16th, 2008 at 3:35am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3941474.ece

Hospitals make money on patient phone calls

David Rose

<<
At least a dozen NHS hospital trusts are using “revenue-sharing” telephone numbers to earn money from patients' calls, The Times has learnt.

Some trusts have switched to numbers with an 0844 or 0845 prefix, which are up to 30p a minute more expensive to call than a standard local number. Hospitals can also receive a rebate on incoming calls by using the numbers, which one trust said was used to help it to meet “savings targets”.

More than 1,500 doctors' surgeries are using the more expensive numbers, despite ministers' declarations that patients should pay no more than the cost of a local call to phone their GPs. Calls to 0844 numbers cost 5p a minute from a landline and 40p from a mobile, although the exact cost varies depending on the tariff or package of the caller.

Doctors have claimed that their rebate of about 2p a minute on every call is used to cover the costs of improved telephone services, but consumer lobbyists say that health services are profiting unfairly from patients' calls.

In an e-mail seen by The Times, John Maddison, finance director of the North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust, confirmed that the trust had previously received “a modest income” from its 0844 number.

The decision to switch to the number was made “reluctantly” to assist in meeting “savings targets”, he said. The trust, which serves a catchment population of 365,000, switched back to using local geographic numbers in January.

Other hospital trusts still using 0844 numbers for their switchboards, appointment booking and other inquiries include Mid Essex, Mid Yorkshire, Northumbria, and South Tyneside.

At least eight other trusts are using 0845 numbers. NHS Direct, the national health advice line, also uses an 0845 number.
>>

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #566 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:51pm

http://www.lauramoffattmp.co.uk/news?PageId=720a6fc6-fb0b-1204-c990-3935cb1addac

<<
Success with the 0844 Campaign

Laura Moffatt MP has been campaigning on behalf of Crawley people to stop local GP surgeries using premium rate 0844 numbers.

“There is no way any public service should be making money out of people ringing them and no way people should have to pay any kind of premium rate to contact that service.” Said Laura. “So I was appalled to see that so many Crawley GPs were using the more costly 0844 telephone numbers particularly when it has been against Department of Health guidance since 2005

“I have written several times over two or three months to the Chief Executive at West Sussex PCT to urge him to address the matter with local GP surgeries. I am pleased to report that that persistence has finally paid off as they have issued strong guidance to local GPs. Congratulation to West Sussex PCT and my thanks to all those people who raised this issue with me.

“I sincerely hope that Crawley (or other) GPs will discontinue this practice as soon as possible, particularly as it appears they should be able to migrate to an 0344 number (which is charged at a normal landline rate) instead.”

If you would like to read all about Laura's campaign and view the documents please click HERE.
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #567 - May 21st, 2008 at 12:41am

http://www.harlowherald.co.uk/content/hlwherald/postbag/story.aspx?brand=HLHOnli...

- Letters for Harlow, Bishop's Stortford and the surrounding area

No discounts for patients

16:19 - 19 May 2008

<<
SIR - I e-mailed you last week regarding the story about doctor's surgery phone numbers and I wrote to Virgin Media. I received a reply thanking me for my letter and advising me of the following:

"We request you to visit our website for the call charges for the number 0844 and other too (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/uk_non-geographical_calls_a.pdf).

"We understand that some providers offer discount over some specific number like 0844 and etc.

"However, we are sorry to inform you that currently we do not have such an offer, in future if there are any changes for the call rates for specific numbers, we will get back to you by relevant media."

The grammar was good for a giggle although it doesn't quite beat the letter I had from another top company which apologised for "any incontinence caused"!

Mrs K Garrod, by e-mail
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #568 - May 30th, 2008 at 1:12pm

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=35&storycode=4119278&c=2

Ban on surgery 0844 numbers 'highly unlikely'

30 May 08

By Steve Nowottny

<<
The Department of Health is set to back down from banning the use of 0844 numbers in GP practices, the country’s biggest supplier has claimed.

The Department’s long-awaited report into the issue – originally due to be published at the end of March – had been expected to clamp down on use of the numbers, which can cost patients up to 20p a minute to call from mobile phones.

But NEG Surgery Line, a national provider of telephone systems and a major contributor to the Department’s review, told Pulse it was ‘highly unlikely’ 0844 numbers would be banned.

NEG spokesperson Kath Simons said the company had submitted a comprehensive report to the Department of Health in December, setting out the case for keeping the numbers. ‘The department then decided to do its own analysis, but only contacted 30 surgeries in the whole country, so maybe it had already made up its mind to go through the motions,’ she said.

The Government had indicated in January it intended to take a tough line, health minister Ivan Lewis warning it was not ‘consistent with best professional practice’ to charge patients more than the local rate.

But Leeds LMC recently met with NEG, and is now advising its practices that it does not expect the threatened ban on 0844 numbers to proceed.

Consumer lobbyists reacted angrily to the claims, and said they were confident ministers would take action. Campaigner David Hickson said: ‘If Alan Johnson has this before him, I can’t see him defending a situation where we allow people to carry on with 0844 numbers.’

But Ms Simons said her company had dozens of practices willing to use an 0844 telephone system, but many were instructed by PCTs to await the outcome of the review. We are pushing for it to come to a conclusion, as we do feel in a state of limbo.’

Dr Peter Jolliffe, chief officer of Devon LMC, said the Government should tackle the use of premium-rate numbers by hospital trusts and NHS Direct before targeting GPs.

‘They cannot have one rule for GPs and another rule for hospitals,’ he said. ‘Take the plank out of your own eye before you address the mote in other people’s.’

A Department of Health spokesperson said that ‘information gathering’ for the report was still ongoing, and that no publication date had been set.
>>

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #569 - May 30th, 2008 at 8:38pm

idb wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 1:12pm:
Ban on surgery 0844 numbers 'highly unlikely'

An interesting piece. One wonders why NEG would be keen to publicly anticipate that the outcome of the evidence gathering exercise will be a decision by the government to reverse its current declared policy, rather than taking effective action to implement it.

If NEG personnel wish to argue that patients should pay towards the provision of NHS services as they use them, then let them say so honestly and openly; their views as citizens are no less valid than those of any others. The benefits of the Surgery Line system could be provided equally effectively using 03xx numbers, and thereby funded properly. I must question why NEG, as a body, is entitled to express an opinion on how the money used to pay for its systems and services is obtained. If it has an interest, this is surely improper.

It is Opal Telecom, a division of Carphone Warehouse, that mostly provides the 0844 numbers used by GPs. I see no good reason why 03xx numbers (perhaps the 0344 equivalents) could not be used. The money presently being improperly obtained from patients would perhaps have to come from somewhere else. If so, I see a number of possible sources and would not wish to express a clear opinion about exactly how this burden should perhaps be divided.

If the DH is correct in saying that its exercise is still continuing, then effort must be focussed on finding a way of getting the GP practices that are currently breaching the principles of the NHS back in line. Once such a path is open to them, there should be no difficulty in adding all revenue sharing ranges to the list of those explicitly prohibited by the terms of the GMS contract.

In the meantime, the Pulse article provides evidence of a potential U-turn by the government. Its present policy, stated in a letter from Mark Britnell and numerous written answers is that “patients should not be expected to pay more than the cost of a call to a local number”. Tolerance of the “g6” 0844 numbers used to fund Surgery Line, would require this to be reversed. We also have the reported quote from Alan Johnson – “I’ll end GP call charges”.

I hope that others will join me in attempting to draw this Pulse article, and the threat of a U-turn that is implied, to the attention of all those concerned about this matter. If it is widely known in advance that the government is planning a U-turn, by reversing rather than implementing its present policy, then this may make such a move more difficult to achieve.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge