<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn the tables (Read 13,154 times)
sihutchuk

Turn the tables
Oct 18th, 2006 at 12:01pm

I've been furious about 0870 and 0845 numbers for years now but only just discovered your site. You all have my full support. I blame BT and ofcom/oftel for this outrageous situation which is in my opinion legalised fraud.

It is only a small protest but I registered an 0870 and 0845 number myself. These just forward to my home number. Whenever dealing with a company that is trying to rip me off I provide my fair share of ripoff back to them by giving my 0870 number. I also get paid for them calling me.

The issue isn't the money I receive but I just want to add to their call costs as they do to me. I'm sure they'd stop pretty quickly if everyone they contacted cost them 8p a minute. As a matter of course I also return any prepaid envelopes they send me trying to sell rubbish back to them in the post. If they want to charge me 8p a minute once I'm a customer then I'll get them to pay for an empty letter while they're fawning up to me as a potential buyer of some other service they want me to sign up to.

I've no idea what they charge now but I registered my 0845 no. for about £15 and my 0870 was free! Now I wonder why I could register an 0870 no. free and get paid a cut of calls made to it?

I can fully understand why registering such numbers may offend. I too am stuck in an ethical quandry on it. However, if you do want to turn the tables like this you could try it. I used http://www.robotelecom.co.uk but I'm not in any way endorsing them and there may be better alternatives now.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Turn the tables
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 12:51pm

This has been mentioned before, and some threads on it can be found in Useful Information & Say no to 0870! Hot Topics.

IP Logged

clayto3h

Devon
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:22pm

I have recently started the practice of informing firms that I will not phone them on an 0870 number and unless they can offer a satisfactory alternative I will not do business with them.  I have just changed a vehicle insurance provider partly for this reason.  If a lot of folk responded in this way presumably businesses might take notice of the potential loss in trade?

CC

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:34pm

I have a 0870 number and have replaced my 01 number with it, When a company asks me for a contact number (if they have a 0870/0845) then i give them my 0870 number. I also have given it to my bosses because they ring me nearly everyday for silly things. The only time i do not give my 0870 out is if it is family (unless it the aunt from hell that can talk for hours and when you wake up she is still going for the gold medal in talking) or chairtys or companys using 0800 or 01/02 numbers.

Why not visit www.thatfreebie.com Smiley and enjoy freebies Smiley

IP Logged

kk

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 12:51pm

Can I quote the comment made 2 days ago in “Get your own 0870 Number”

“Nobody on this site should get an 084/7 number because by doing so you only make matters worse by ensuring that the middle men in the industry like BT and Robo Telecom yet further increase their bank balances with the enhanced earnings they get on every 084/7 NTS call that is originated/terminated on their network. You may possibly get a tiny amount of revenue yourself (although the free 0870 numbers you can get generally don't pay you anything but just offer free call redirection to landlines of your choice) but you absolutely will be adding to the overall coffers of the 084/7 scammers.

Personally I prefer to lead by example by only ever giving usually my landline or occasionally my mobile phone number depending on where I need to be contacted. If we simply join the scam ourselves we have lost all of the moral high ground (something which I think Daniel the forum owner himself often misses the point on with certain prominent banner adds for sites like: www.winthecash.couk/GrabAGrand that have recently featured on this website)

As to thinking people in these call centres know or care you are giving them an 0870/1 number most call centre staff seem to be sufficiently brain dead that they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand what the whole 0870/1 scam is about in the first place. I suppose their directors may possibly eventually notice the irony if they find a lot of 0870/1 calls on their own outgoing phone bill to customers though.

In any event when staff in these call centres offer to call you back they are usually trying to do you a favour and are not responsible for the 0870/1 number existing themselves. Whereas you giving them an 0870/1 number tends to make you look every bit as bad as them the call centre.

Well those are my views on the matter.

NGM”

And my own comment on the subject made yesterday:

“I agree with the last post. It is totally absurd for anybody who genuinely believes in the evil nature of 0871, 0870, 0845 and 0844 (and 070) to contemplate acquiring one. To use them, is to support them.

If you wish to make money, be honest, and get an “09" number.    KK”.

KK

IP Logged

OverlordKain

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:57pm

kk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006 at 12:51pm:
“Nobody on this site should get an 084/7 number because by doing so you only make matters worse by ensuring that the middle men in the industry like BT and Robo Telecom yet further increase their bank balances with the enhanced earnings they get on every 084/7 NTS call that is originated/terminated on their network. You may possibly get a tiny amount of revenue yourself (although the free 0870 numbers you can get generally don't pay you anything but just offer free call redirection to landlines of your choice) but you absolutely will be adding to the overall coffers of the 084/7 scammers.

While this may be true, the objective is to hurt the bank balances of the companies that force us to pay a premium to contact them, usually to sort out a problem of their creation.  It may not do much, but it's the feelgood factor of doing them over, however small.  Grin

Personally I prefer to lead by example by only ever giving usually my landline or occasionally my mobile phone number depending on where I need to be contacted. If we simply join the scam ourselves we have lost all of the moral high ground (something which I think Daniel the forum owner himself often misses the point on with certain prominent banner adds for sites like: www.winthecash.couk/GrabAGrand that have recently featured on this website)

You know, I didn't even notice this ad until you mentioned it (and went looking for it!)  Shocked

As to thinking people in these call centres know or care you are giving them an 0870/1 number most call centre staff seem to be sufficiently brain dead that they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand what the whole 0870/1 scam is about in the first place. I suppose their directors may possibly eventually notice the irony if they find a lot of 0870/1 calls on their own outgoing phone bill to customers though.

And, this is the point, n'est pas?

In any event when staff in these call centres offer to call you back they are usually trying to do you a favour and are not responsible for the 0870/1 number existing themselves. Whereas you giving them an 0870/1 number tends to make you look every bit as bad as them the call centre.

This seems to contradict the previous paragraph.  When the battery hen in the call centre offers to phone you back, they don't care what phone number you give them, and would be oblivious that you're giving them a number that would cost their employer a premium to dial.  Besides, the premium isn't coming out of their pockets!  They're also probably told to give out the "it only costs the same as a local/national rate call" mantra anyway if they are themselves queried on the 08* number used to dial them in the first place.  And if they are 08*-scam aware, they may even welcome the chance to get their own back on their employers!

“I agree with the last post. It is totally absurd for anybody who genuinely believes in the evil nature of 0871, 0870, 0845 and 0844 (and 070) to contemplate acquiring one. To use them, is to support them.

There's the evil nature of 08*, and there's the evil nature of the companies that exploit 08*.  It's the latter that's being targeted here.

If you wish to make money, be honest, and get an “09" number.

The objective isn't to make money as such, but to increase the costs of the 08* (ab)users.  Wink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 12:52am

OverlordKain wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:57pm:
The objective isn't to make money as such, but to increase the costs of the 08* (ab)users.  Wink

Have you not considered that the most abusive large conglomerates may also own the NGN vending organisation from which you have acquired your 0870 number to hit back.

Therefore they merely transfer a new cost in one part of their business empire to become a new profit stream in another of itsm multi faceted and faceless arms. Wink..........................................................................

Who are you by the way Overlord Kain.  You post extremely infrequently but with a lucidity that is always extremely memorable.  Unless of course it is your forum name and logo that does it.

I think you and LaVilleGour hold the record for being the most memorable members with less than 20 posts in total in the forum.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2006 at 12:54am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge