Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Halifax (Read 33,816 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Halifax
Nov 7th, 2006 at 2:20pm

This is not strictly geog nos chat but a request for information regarding Halifax.   Am looking for local banking facilities (am sick of HSBC) & Halifax seem to have a good account BUT they use 0845 nos and that makes me wonder,  if they treat customers that badly to start with, what are they like to deal with eg when, inevitably, they make mistakes with customers' money?   I have looked back through the threads using the search facility and the reports don't make them sound great, particularly the part about not being able to pay into accounts in branch as that is my main purpose!   Also, they seem to be connected to Bank of Scotland & I'm sure I heard something bad about them but cannot remember what its was.   Any experiences on dealing with Halifax, good or bad, would be appreciated.   Again, sorry for being a bit off message (although tel nos come into it) but you are all so helpful I hope you won't mind.   Thanks.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Re: Halifax
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 2:37pm

Yes, Halifax are now HBOS (Halifax Bank of Scotland), I was originally with BoS and think that the changes since Halifax came on board have not been good.
Use of 0845 nos is galling (although it can be circumvented, I believe) and being unable to phone your local branch is ridiculous.  The staff at my local Branch (old BoS) are fine and helpful, however, so I stay with them (their High Interest Current account is good).

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 5:13pm

I bank with Halifax and don't have any complaints and did avoid the 0845 number when I needed to contact them without any problems, however I do most of my banking (personal and business) with Nationwide who I have to say are very helpful particularly at a branch level where they treat you like a human being.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:01pm

Keith wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 5:13pm:
..I do most of my banking (personal and business) with Nationwide who I have to say are very helpful particularly at a branch level where they treat you like a human being.
I agree with this.  Nationwide have UK call centres (well I've never spoken with an overseas person) and you can still ring your local branch on a geographical number.  Nationwide do have an 0845 in use but on the back of your credit/debit cards, they also freely provide the geographical (for international access) which I always ring without once being questioned as to why I was ringing that number unlike Alliance & Leicester for which I understand from this forum and MSE, will not deal with your enquiry unless you are abroad and force you to ring their 08x number(s).

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:23pm

Keith wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 5:13pm:
I bank with Halifax and don't have any complaints and did avoid the 0845 number when I needed to contact them without any problems, however I do most of my banking (personal and business) with Nationwide who I have to say are very helpful particularly at a branch level where they treat you like a human being.

I have had a Nationwide account for nearly three years now mainly to get the zero cost foreign exchange on their credit and debit cards compared to ripoff charges by NatWest of around 5% (2.75% foreign exchange rate levy and minimum flat withdrawal fee now of £2.50) for taking cash out of a machine overseas.  Also I have a lot of my savings with them in their Esavings account and Cash ISAs.

Nationwide are a customer owned organisation and are totally customer focused.  They have done nothing to annoy me in my time with them.  NatWest (Royal Bank of Scotland) have about 101 deceitful and dishonest practices that infuriate me every time I interact with them.

Although Halifax offer a good rate of interest on the current account my overall impression of them is they have a lot of sharp practices and hidden charges (eg overseas credit card and cash withdrawal fees compared to Nationwide) where they claw that back from you elsewhere.  I also don't care for the general tone, content and imagery of their tv advertising campaigns.

<div style=

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 1:32am

Yes I have been with Nationwide for many years almost as far back as when they were known as the 'Nationwide Anglia' building society.  They merged with Anglia BS back in the 80's then they dropped the Anglia label.  Their internet banking is excellent with their flex (current) account and e-savings - brilliant.  However we know the long the term strategists of the 'globalists' and the international banking elite.  Nationwide will not remain a mutual building society for forever - it will undoubtedly be taken over by a bank, like the Cheltenham & Gloucester were, or it will convert directly itself and then of course everything will change!

Soon after the merger with the Portman BS next year, Nationwide will then be considered big and fat enough to convert directly into a PLC bank itself with the promise of huge windfalls/ free shares to investors and borrowers, but then we will have to get used to call centres in Bangalore and premium rate telephone numbers as they skimp and scrape to pay the shareholders huge wedges twice a year - you mark my words chaps.  This is exactly what happened to the Abbey National as well as others.  With the Abbey, we have sky high penalty charges, premium rate 0845 telephone numbers, call centres in India, no access by phone to your local branch etc etc.  Abbey National used to be a nice BS with good rates for borrowers & savers and you had full access to local branches by phone.  Do you remember 'Get the Abbey habit'?  My local branch has even done away with the free in house telephone booths where you could phone the telephone banking section for example - presumably to save money so that we'll have to phone them from home to earn them 1/2p per minute or whatever they get when we have to ring the 0845 number.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006 at 1:39am by Alternative »  

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:30am

just to get back to phone numbers.

You can contact Halifax free of charge if you use their Callback service via their website. It works well and they call you back within seconds.

The website address is: http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/callback.shtml

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:31am

Alternative wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 1:32am:
Nationwide will not remain a mutual building society for forever - it will undoubtedly be taken over by a bank, like the Cheltenham & Gloucester were, or it will convert directly itself and then of course everything will change!

Soon after the merger with the Portman BS next year, Nationwide will then be considered big and fat enough to convert directly into a PLC bank itself with the promise of huge windfalls/ free shares to investors and borrowers, but then we will have to get used to call centres in Bangalore and premium rate telephone numbers as they skimp and scrape to pay the shareholders huge wedges twice a year - you mark my words chaps.  This is exactly what happened to the Abbey National as well as others.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong on this.

My own feeling is that Nationwide has a customer base who are all died in the wool Building Society supporters who have moved there from the likes of Abbey National etc, etc.  I personally feel that it will carry on as the one remaining major Building Society but with sufficient economies of scale to compete with the large high street banking PLCs etc.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:55pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:49pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:31am:
Alternative wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 1:32am:
Nationwide will not remain a mutual building society for forever - it will undoubtedly be taken over by a bank, like the Cheltenham & Gloucester were, or it will convert directly itself and then of course everything will change!

Soon after the merger with the Portman BS next year, Nationwide will then be considered big and fat enough to convert directly into a PLC bank itself with the promise of huge windfalls/ free shares to investors and borrowers, but then we will have to get used to call centres in Bangalore and premium rate telephone numbers as they skimp and scrape to pay the shareholders huge wedges twice a year - you mark my words chaps.  This is exactly what happened to the Abbey National as well as others.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong on this.
As do I!!!

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:23pm:
I have had a Nationwide account for nearly three years now mainly to get the zero cost foreign exchange on their credit and debit cards compared to ripoff charges
One of the reasons I got it was for the zero cost foreign exchange for their cards unlike most (if not all) the others'.

I was with TSB for years (since leaving school many, many years ago) and not once got paid interest in my normal account, but yet I get paid interest in my normal account with Nationwide albeit its a very small amount.  When TSB announced it was increasing charges when using abroad, etc I moved to Nationwide and haven't regretted it since.  Nationwide offer things like free extended warranties, etc on some things bought with their credit card whereas TSB offered me nothing - not even on their so-called 'gold' card.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:55pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:57pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:49pm:
I was with TSB for years (since leaving school many, many years ago) and not once got paid interest in my normal account, but yet I get paid interest in my normal account with Nationwide albeit its a very small amount.  When TSB announced it was increasing charges when using abroad, etc I moved to Nationwide and haven't regretted it since.  Nationwide offer things like free extended warranties, etc on some things bought with their credit card whereas TSB offered me nothing - not even on their so-called 'gold' card.

You really need to get an MBNA Conran Visa card with 1% cashback on everything for UK use though.  Its a long term discount they have been running for the last five years and not some 3 month marketing come on like most of the other Cashback offers.

And MBNA use 0800 numbers for all their customer contact including customer service and have nice friendly and intelligent staff too. Shocked Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:58pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

paropilot

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 5:19pm

Barbara asked about Halifax. A word of advice: don't.
We had several ISAs with them. Halifax invested my wife's in the wrong account with a lower interest rate. They paid the discrepancy with a cheque but of course this fell outside the ISA envelope so became taxable. They said they could not replace the money in her ISA.
Sorting this out was a nightmare because they have three principal offices and one doesn't know what the other is doing.
We tried to open further accounts but received conflicting paperwork from different offices. Even simple matters took ages to resolve and hours on the phone. Over the past 24 months we received two £50 cheques in goodwill payments for our inconvenience but finally we gave up and closed all our accounts.
I wrote to Halifax regretting that I had to end a family association going back more than 50 years but the sheer frustration in dealing with them was impossible.
We have used smile, the Co-Op Bank's internet branch, for the past two years and are well satisfied. They pay 3% interest on our current account. They do use the iniquitous 0870 number but thanks to this site we have the geo alternative. Smile also replies promptly to secure messages from our banking homepage.
You might also check another excellent site www.moneyfacts.co.uk for comparison of a wide range of accounts. This is where we found smile.
Hope this helps ...

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 10:06pm

Quote:
They (Smile Bank) do use the iniquitous 0870 number but thanks to this site we have the geo alternative.

They actually publish their geographic number on their web site, and never seemed to be concerned if you used it. I think they may well be one of the companies that used the number as a true 'national' call in the very early days. Whether they are locked into some sort of contract, or just don't understand the implications now, I don't know. It is very disappointing they hang on to it, because they make a very big thing about being the 'Ethical Bank' - not investing in areas such as armaments, even though they'd make a squillion bucks!

But 0870 is totally unethical! Come on Smile - if you read this - take a stand and show your true ethical colours! Dump the damn'ed rip-off number!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 11:37pm

mikeinnc wrote on Nov 11th, 2006 at 10:06pm:
But 0870 is totally unethical! Come on Smile - if you read this - take a stand and show your true ethical colours! Dump the damn'ed rip-off number!

Agreed it does not fit in with their ethical stance although I really think forcing the Parliamentary Ombudsman to drop his disgraceful 0845 number and replace it wit a geo should be our first priority.  What hope is there when the supposed last bastion of protection for members of the general public is himself a key part of the whole scam! Shocked Cry

www.ombudsman.org.uk/contact_us/index.html

<div style=

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 11:51am

Just looked at the link for the complaints bureau.  I note that they provide a geographical number for the fax machine (like many organisations do!) but when it comes down to the phone number, it's a premium rate 0845 number!

I shall send them a written complaint by fax using large point font.  As I have said before, for companies that have fax machines still, a written complaint carries more weight than an e-mail.

Alt.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 12:03pm

Alternative wrote on Nov 13th, 2006 at 11:51am:
I shall send them a written complaint by fax using large point font.  As I have said before, for companies that have fax machines still, a written complaint carries more weight than an e-mail.

Alt.

The ombudsman is such a bureaucratic and old fashioned outfit that I would agree in their case fax is likely to be noticed more.

Also you can make your point that the call costs you nothing by fax but would not be free of charge on 0845 too.

You really ought to copy in your MP on the complaint since the Ombudsman scheme interacts directly with Parliament and MPs.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge