FAX GOING....

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
Millbank
London
SW1P 4QP

Dear Sir / Madam

Use of Premium rate telephone numbers
Why do you insist on using a premium rate 0845 telephone number, yet you can still provide a geographical telephone number for your fax machine which I am using now?

0845 numbers are not ‘local rate’ as is commonly thought.  The distinction between ‘national’ and ‘local rate doesn’t exist anymore. They are also specifically precluded from ‘fixed rate’ all inclusive telephone calling plans and are often hideously expensive to ring from mobile telephones.

I find it unacceptable that you would wish to profit by way of ‘kick-back’ revenue from members of the public using the phone to make a complaint about one of the other numerous government departments or NHS that also use ‘premium rate’ revenue generating numbers.

Sending you this fax is free of charge because you have provided a geographical number, but if I rang you on your 0845 number, it would cost me money – including both holding and transfer time.  Not good or fair.

Please change your advertised 0845 to a geographical number beginning 020.  You can do it for your fax machine, so why not for your main number?

Yours faithfully

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2006 at 1:53pm by Alternative »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Halifax
Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 12:49pm

I have a horrible feeling you will get one of those dumb replies assuring you that 0845 really is "local rate" or "lo-call".

I would have headed them off from this by providing the links to the ASA guidances, the COI Government Contact Centre guidance, the trading standards department view and the view of BT Retail's own CEO that demonstrate conclusively that 0845 is anything other than local rate.

But perhaps you are keeping that in reserve for your next letter.

I would fax your letter to your MP as well though asking for his view on the matter.  With any luck he might then write to the Ombudsman challenging them on the matter and asking them to justify their position.

No MP you will note uses anything other than a geographic phone number for their official Parliamentary and constituency offices.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2006 at 3:19pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #17 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 1:48pm

I have amended my fax and it has now been sent.  I have modified the posting so you can all see what I have sent.  I shall keep my powder dry....I will use the links to the ASA etc when I get the inevitable reply which either disregards everything I say or comes up with the usual nonsense that it's a local rate call....

Alt

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 2:42pm

lompos wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:30am:
You can contact Halifax free of charge if you use their Callback service via their website. It works well and they call you back within seconds.

They seem to have other callbacks for different departments besides the savings you mentioned.

It says it's intended for queries about new accounts, but have you used it for ordinary routine calls as well?

If so, I reckon there is a good chance of using the URL of the centre part of the page as a wap/grps bookmark in a mobile - it's only 3k

- It works - well the page loads, but I didn't actually make the call
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2006 at 2:51pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 5:57pm

Quote:
It says it's intended for queries about new accounts, but have you used it for ordinary routine calls as well?

Whenever I have occasion to call the Halifax I always use their callback service.  I can confirm that it works for savings and insurance. In case the of the latter it is insurance sales, but they will put you through to, say, renewals.

By the way, Halifax insurance correspondence gives contact details similar to the Ombudsman: 0845 for calls and a geog. number for faxes. However, this can be bypassed using the callback service.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 6:35pm

Thanks. If I'd saved the url in the mobile I could have tried it the other day - it's tricky using the current account system from abroad as the cheapest way I make calls doesn't relay DTMF codes (maybe an excuse if they object). Will they even call mobiles?

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 9:28am

mikeinnc wrote on Nov 11th, 2006 at 10:06pm:
Quote:
They (Smile Bank) do use the iniquitous 0870 number but thanks to this site we have the geo alternative.

They actually publish their geographic number on their web site, and never seemed to be concerned if you used it.

I just phoned them up on their geographical number to ask if they had a policy of discouraging or preventing calls that don't use the 0870 number, like Alliance and Leicester. I was told they had no problem with use of the geographical number and the person I was talking to said that in any case he couldn't tell which number I'd called on.

He also helpfully suggested that if I couldn't find the geographical number I could look it up on a website called "Ihate0870.com" or something like that!

I'm sure everyone will say there is never any excuse for using an 0870 number nowadays but to be fair to smile there is the slight benefit that their number is easily memorable - 0870 THE BANK (with THE BANK equating to their number 843 2265). If you had to contact them in an emergency and had no way of looking up their number you might be grateful that you could remember even the 0870 number. Your first question when they answered, of course, might be "What's the geographical number?"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge