<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confused and upset (Read 3,641 times)
chewiemonster

Confused and upset
Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:01pm

Let me start by saying I am an American living in the UK.  In the USA, if you are with a cable company, airline, bank etc... they provide a 800 number toll free.  Why in this country do people allow a business to take even more of their £ by calling 0870 numbers?  Is someone lobbying Parliment to stop this or are the MPs in the pocket of these companies? Thank goodness for this site.

IP Logged

Alternative

Re: Confused and upset
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:35pm

You have raised a very sore point.  Here in the UK we're only too aware that businesses in America have toll free numbers and of course over much vaster distances.  In the US, people will often have to phone interstate and get a toll free number for doing so.   Whereas here we are ripped off with these premium rate numbers which are in many cases even more expensive to ring from mobile phones.  These companies make a lot of money from the 'kick-back' revenue that telecos provide to businesses so it's often in the interest for businesses who use these numbers to keep their clients & customers on the phone lines for as long as possible.

We have lobied parliament by individuals writing to their MP's and the telecom watchdog Ofcom which is next to useless and has either disregarded or misunderstood most of our members complaints.  I am not aware of any MP's who are in Cahoots with any of these telco's; however, many MP's have other jobs and interests outside of parliament and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was discovered that there are MP's who have interests in telco providers who sell 0845/0870 numbers.  Most of the public don't understand the scam and seem to be happy to ring these numbers and hold in queues making money for the company all the time.  It is now said that a third of all calls made from the average houshold are to non-geographical 0845/0870/0871 numbers.

Welcome to rip off Britain!

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:40pm by Alternative »  

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Re: Confused and upset
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 9:40pm

Quote:
Let me start by saying I am an American living in the UK.

Hey, Chewie - welcome to ROB aka Rip Off Britain!  Cry

Brits are now paying about 1.5 billion pounds per year....yep, that's £1.5 BILLION ...... over and above what they would pay if all calls were geographic (normal) calls - even if there were no 1-800 equivalents, either.

You can bet your life there are some 'public figure' snouts in THAT trough, too.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge