Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
ISP Freeola Claims 0871 is National Rate (Read 44,436 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: ISP Freeola Claims 0871 is National Ra
Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 12:30pm

I80870_numbers wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 11:46am:
farci,

your link to adsl24 is different to the original link provided by the OP.

In fact the link you provided goes to adsl2go which provides the following for any contact by telephone:

For any enquiries or for further information please contact us on 0906 470 0359   Cry or you can write to us at:

ADSL2GO
101 Abercorn Street
Paisley
PA3 4AT

Oops.

It should have been www.adsl24.co.uk ; Sorry about the error.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: ISP Freeola Claims 0871 is National Rate
Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 12:41pm

freeola.com wrote on Nov 29th, 2006 at 6:24pm:
I am happy to try and deal with this constructively but your aggresive rhetoric hasn't exactly got this off to a good start.

I am happy to see that Freeola has now removed from its website all claims that its 0871 numbers are charged at National Rate and used the correct ASA approved wording for describing them.  My only sorrow is that it has yet to see the light on the damage it could be doing to its own business by using 0871 numbers, especially for sales.

In an effort to be more positive and helpful to Freeola can I make a suggestion.  This is why not get yourself an 0800 number from the cheapest supplier (www.call08.com) and replace your current 0871 sales number with this 0800 number on your website for a month and see if it results in a big increase in the number of potential broadband customers calling you who then also convert through into actual customers.  Clearly what you use for technical support is down to you but I must point out that www.aceinternet.co.uk recently issued a big press release providing its geographic phone number for all calls including techncial support because it had found customers objected to paying extra for 0845 and 0870.  Having said that Ace do seem to have some very long call queuing timess which is no doubt why their customers especially objected to the use of numbers other than standard true national rate 01 and 02 numbers.  Also www.newnet.co.uk recently changed from using 0870 to 0845 numbers for tech support again due to numbers of customer objections against the cost of calling 0870 numbers.  So these things do matter in marketing terms.

Freeola I realise that the appearance of this discussion on this website has been rather a shock for you but I doubt just a polite email to your firm would have worked and also I hope in the long run your realising how unpopular these numbers are may cause you to avoid them and that this may allow you to grow your business and gain greater numbers of happy customers.

Also if you really don't understand why customers only want to call numbers starting 01 or 02 then take a look at how cheap fixed pricing calling plans to all UK and EU normal numbers now are.  As little as £4.33 per month (£1 per month for 6 months and then £5.99 for 12 months after that) for unlimited calls to these numbers on an 18 month contract with www.euphony.co.uk ; Whereas just one 43 minute call to your tech support number would cost £4.30 Shocked
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:48pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:28pm

The Freeola website now says:
Quote:
Or telephone: 0871 210 9977. Recorded information 24 hours per day and technicians between 9.00am and 8.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am to 6.00pm on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Calls to Freeola Support or Sales charged at 10p/min at all times to BT customers (mobile and other networks may vary).

Much better.  Smiley

Whilst I would really like to see these sorts of services on 09xx prefixed numbers, I think that this is a suitable compromise and will hopefully alleviate the misconception that 0871 is "national rate" and may even put doubt into people's minds that the similar 0870 prefix is infact more expensive than a geographical call.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #18 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:53pm

Dave wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:28pm:
Much better.  Smiley

Steady on Dave.  All that Freeola have so far done is replace wording that was actually misleading from an ASA or Trading Standards point of view with wording that is not misleading.

But they still use 0871 numbers at 10p per minute at all times for all their main points of contact and so far as I know this site has not come up with a geographic alternative for either them or any other Entanet reseller or for Entanet itself in either our Verified or Unverified numbers list.  Sad

If Freeola actually publised their geographic number or an 0800 number for sales and say only an 0845 number for support then I think we could agree that there had actually been a more worthwhile improvement from a consumer point of view.

<div style=

IP Logged

say_what

Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 5:31pm

Hi, I'm new here (as you can see)
I found this website rather usefull to look for different numbers, but where do you guys get off ranting like you do.
If you have a problem with dialing and paying for 08xx numbers and the companies involved. WELL DONT!
Some peopl don't care, I would rather not, and if I find a different number on here then great, if I can't then there you go.
I supose some of the members of this board don't like to have to pay for anything, think everything is too expensive, and what it all for nothing, get a life, don't like the companies, dont use them, it's rather simple really.

And on another note
I think it is a disgrace that you have published a web site that tries to do away with non geographical numbers, and tries to push people to find a normal telephone number for the service they require (and a great idea for this site, has help me out already, but at the same breath having adds that advertise the selling and provisions of said numbers, and no doubt gaining a revenue stream from the same.
What a Hypercritical way to behave. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 5:44pm

"If you have a problem with dialing and paying for 08xx numbers and the companies involved. WELL DONT! "

So what do you propose the relative of the London Bombing should have done when given an 0870 number - not bothered. What do you propose those poor people needing to call a I think it was a Social Security number that made in excess of a quarter of a million pounds out of the use of an 0845 number do? Etc, Etc. What about the scams that use these numbers for you to call back. What if you need to call from outside of the UK as relatives of the London Bombing needed to do or you have a PAYG phone and are kept waiting until you run out of time.

And please bear in mind you have benefited from the numbers on this site because the people who post care.

Finally re the last point you raise. This has cropped up over and over again. They don't have control over the ads.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 5:51pm

say_what wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 5:31pm:
Hi, I'm new here (as you can see)
I found this website rather usefull to look for different numbers.

I think it is a disgrace that you have published a web site that tries to do away with non geographical numbers, and tries to push people to find a normal telephone number for the service they require (and a great idea for this site, has help me out already, but at the same breath having adds that advertise the selling and provisions of said numbers, and no doubt gaining a revenue stream from the same.
What a Hypercritical way to behave. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

So one minute you find the site useful to look for alternatives for 084/7 numbers which implies you know they are a scam and cost you extra and don't want to call them and pay the extra cost.  The next minute you say it is a disgrace we are trying to do away with 084/7 numbers and the valuable revenue stream you gain from them.  Talk about illogical, irrational and contradictory.

We are quite happy to see the NGN system retained as a technology but what we want is for all normal NGN calls with no added value element (added value being sex chat line or legal advice line on the whole as these were never previously delivered by phone before NGNs and would not exist without the revenue share) to use the new 0370 prefix where the call centre operator pays for any valued added call routing features that they and not the customer derive the benefit from.  These calls will then be charged as per 01/02 calls and included in inclusive calling plans.  And all premium rate numbers involving revenue share of any kind should be on 09 with compulsory call price announcements of the rate per minute and the amount going to the company or their telco provider that is not involved in paying for the call.  Of course your friends at Ofcom are going to allow the whole scam inudstry to carry on unbridled though on 0844, 0845 and 0871 as they are in the pockets of the scammers like yourselves.

This despicable industry has only flourished because it has been built on deceit and untruths about the cost of the calls.

In the free enterprise USA where anti trust laws stop cartel like anti competitive behaviour of the 084/7 kind and require full price disclosure 0800 numbers for customer contact are the norm

To paint us the campaigners as unreasonable is outrageous.  It shows how effective our campaign now is that you the scammers who now like to pose as ordinary consumers on this website acctually think it is worth making posts.

As to the Grab A Grand Scam ad on this site I agree it is inappropriate in the context of this site because it has the same morals of the gutter as 09 quiz shows like The Mint.  However the owner of the site Daniel is content to leave it there and he claims that the income he derives from this banner ad and others does not exceed his costs in running the site.  As Daniel's business is a private company and does not have publicly available accounts we will obviously have to take his word on that point.

Clearly Grab A Grand must pay a lot more per hit than any other link Daniel could put on the site as in view of the criticism he has received over it if there was an equally profitable but less ethically objectionable link he could use I'm sure he would have done it by now.

By the way if you only like looking up alternative numbers even though strangely in the next breath you claim we want to get something for nothing (if this is how you feel then why are you doing it) then don't read the forum and just use the alternative numbers facility.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2006 at 12:21am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #22 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 6:02pm

say_what wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 5:31pm:
If you have a problem with dialing and paying for 08xx numbers and the companies involved. WELL DONT!

And how would you suggest people reach their local Police force or Council who are natural monopolies when they only use an 0845 number that costs £1.75 for 15 minutes from a BT Payphone for an old pensioner compared to 30p for 15 minutes for a normal 01 or 02 number.

It seems obvious you are surely one of the NGN scammer brigade just posing as a consumer from the type of comments you have made.  No one else other than an NGN number scammer or call centre scammer profiting from their existence could get so upset over our attempts to end the scamming.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2006 at 6:03pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #23 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 6:47pm

Have just discovered that the wholesaler used by Freeola to provide their broadband service are also misleading customers over the cost of telephone calls by claiming that 0870 is National Rate

www.entanet.co.uk/index.php?id=104

Quote:
National rate phone line 0870 224 3494

While it is their choice as to whether they should be using an 0870 number or not they should only be describing it as "Calls cost up to 8p per minute from BT landlines" and not as National Rate.

I wonder if I need to start another thread under the name of Entanet to draw their attention to this matter?

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 8:08pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:53pm:
Dave wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:28pm:
Much better.  Smiley

Steady on Dave.  All that Freeola have so far done is replace wording that was actually misleading from an ASA or Trading Standards point of view with wording that is not misleading.

But they still use 0871 numbers at 10p per minute at all times for all their main points of contact and so far as I know this site has not come up with a geographic alternative for either them or any other Entanet reseller or for Entanet itself in either our Verified or Unverified numbers list.  Sad

If Freeola actually publised their geographic number or an 0800 number for sales and say only an 0845 number for support then I think we could agree that there had actually been a more worthwhile improvement from a consumer point of view.
At the end of the day, we can't stop companies from using premium rate numbers whether they're 08 or 09 numbers.  It is entirely upto the company concerned.  It's not good customer services to use a premium rate number hence why they all use 087x range instead so not to draw attention to the fact they're using premium rate numbers.

As the company concerned are following ASA, Trading Standards, Ofcom's guidelines on use of these numbers (ie clearly state that calls cost 10p/min) then if they lose customers or gain less customers than normal then they'll learn the hard way that using such an expensive number is not what potential or current customers want.

Similar thing about companies using 09x like Philips do (to a certain degree).  They do so at their own risk of alienating their current or potential customers.

IP Logged

ryouga

Scotland
Reply #25 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 9:57pm

I must admit myself, I only signed up to Freeola due to the 3 month contract with no penalties if you leave.

I was going to go with Aquiss or IDnet but couldnt afford the activation fee, seems good so far though.

Only bad thing was BT messed up my line(its new) so I phoned up sales and was on hold for about 20 minutes before getting through, and the guy on phone seemed uninterested.

Their email support is very fast though! I sent an email and it was replied to 6 hours later, and again a few days ago as I had a phone number change on my line, and it was changed within 12 hours!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #26 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 10:29pm

ryouga wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 9:57pm:
I must admit myself, I only signed up to Freeola due to the 3 month contract with no penalties if you leave.

Once you get to 3 months though why not change to www.ukfsn.org or www.adsl24.co.uk or www.vivaciti.co.uk as their monthly charges are £5 cheaper than Freeola's normal prices for exactly the same service.

<div style=

IP Logged

IAVOID0870

South East
Reply #27 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 11:35pm

Hmmm - must say a very interesting read.

NGM's Ghost, I think that what you have wrote is true in every way, and I must admit I was shocked to see a responce from the company itself,  Shocked (that is if it's genuine?  Roll Eyes )

Personally speaking, I will NOT deal with any company who uses these numbers, especially if they refuse to provide the Geographical number behind the 084* / 087* number.
I think it has taken a while but it does appear that a lot of companies are waking up to the fact that we will NOT be ripped off any longer.

Every time I see these numbers I now ask for the landline number it redirects to, regardless or not if I use the company, I must say that a lot of companies I have spoken to do oblige.  Smiley

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #28 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 12:14am

IAVOID0870 wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 11:35pm:
NGM's Ghost, I think that what you have wrote is true in every way, and I must admit I was shocked to see a responce from the company itself,  Shocked (that is if it's genuine?  Roll Eyes )

I am 100% confident the response made was from the MD of Freeola (don't forget its a very small company after all).  Although to be fair I suspect that was his fatal tactical mistake.  Either he should have not responded at all or he should only have appeared in the thread to say he was concerned to hear that his company was not doing the right thing but thanking us for pointing this out and saying the matter had already been attended to.

Now though we discover that Entanet the ADSL wholesaler who supplies these resellers with their broadband product also misdescribes their 0870 number as being National Rate and withholds all 01/02 alternatives.  Disappointing I must say as I had been considering moving my broadband service to one of these internet resellers (definitely not Freeola though).

I suppose I had better start another thread re Entanet misdescribing their 0870 as being National Rate and see if it has the same rapid corrective effect as it did in Freeola's case.  Or rather at least it stopped them deliberately misleading the public about the cost of their 0871 numbers.  Sadly though they still continue to use them. Sad Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2006 at 12:15am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

timmygcsc2308

Reply #29 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:27pm

NGMsGhost, don't you think you are getting just a little bit too upset?
I used to work on tech support for Freeola when they were based at Sawbridgeworth, and I can tell you for a FACT that you will get 100% better customer service than you would with an ISP such as Demon (first hand experience of Indian call centers). When I worked at freeola Danny was one of my superiors and he is a genuine guy who knows his stuff..so give him a break. I agree with the 'national rate' wording but if you check the website it has now been changed.

'You still dodge the fact that your Sales number is on an 0871.  That is just really dumb.  Your Entanet competitors do not use 0871 numbers at all and especially not Sales - there is a reason.'

And who are you to give out business advice? How much do you know about Freeola? Ever used them? I mean hey, at least they give a number that you can call..try getting hold of Bulldog sales line...oh wait there isn't one.
Compared to the big players, Freeola is a relatively small ISP but as Danny said you will receive high level support from trained staff in the UK. In fact the only reason I came across this thread is because I am going to be signing up to Freeola in the next month because I didn't want to deal with companies such as Demon and Tiscalli who don't care about their customers!

And I can't believe you have considered against an Entanet reseller because of an 0870 issue, how misinformed you must be..so who are you going to plump for then? AOL? NTL? Even if you DID need to contact Freeola tech support, their FREE email response would be quicker than waiting on hold with a 'big' ISP. Trust me you are a fool if you are going to put this company down
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:35pm by timmygcsc2308 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge