Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Now ICSTIS claim 084x/087x are Local/National Rate (Read 48,087 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Now ICSTIS claim 084x/087x are Local/National Rate
Dec 6th, 2006 at 4:56pm

ICSTIS have launched another site called Phonebrain.org.uk.

This new site is a child's guide to premium rate services but also briefly mentions 08x numbers.

Not very surprisingly, even ICSTIS describes 084x/087x numbers as either 'local' or 'national' rate.  See this page, and from it I quote:-

Quote:
What does the code mean to you and your money?
  • Most expensive = 090
    Name = premium rate
    Cost = 10p - £1.50 per minute
  • Next expensive = 087
    Name = National rate
    Cost = up to 10p per minute
  • Then = 0845
    Name = Local rate
    Cost = up to 4.5p per minute
  • Cheapest = 080
    Name = Freephone
    Cost = free

0800REVERSE
    This starts 080 and is free to dial but the person getting your call will have to pay. It costs £3.48 for the connection and then it will cost 50p per minute from a landline or 60p per minute from a mobile. If you can't get through and leave a message, this will cost £2.34.

BUT with all codes (even 080)
    network charges may apply and call costs can vary depending on network
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2006 at 10:05am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Phonebrain.org.uk - From ICSTIS
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:25pm

I have just sent an email to the Director and Deputy Director, along with a copy to the PA to the Director and webmaster.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:27pm

0800REVERSE
This starts 080 and is free to dial but the person getting your call will have to pay. It costs £3.48 for the connection and then it will cost 50p per minute from a landline or 60p per minute from a mobile. If you can't get through and leave a message, this will cost £2.34.

So that means anyone with a landline can receive a call, and if the person can't get through then we can get charged £2.34 for allowing people to leave a message.

I always thought that receiving a reverse charge call was optional.  You have to speak to the person who answers the phone, and he/she accepts.  If the answerphone, or 1571 kicks in, or the person refuses to accept the call, then surely we shouldn't be charged.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:37pm

Shiggaddi wrote on Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:27pm:
0800REVERSE

So that means anyone with a landline can receive a call, and if the person can't get through then we can get charged £2.34 for allowing people to leave a message.

I always thought that receiving a reverse charge call was optional.  You have to speak to the person who answers the phone, and he/she accepts.  If the answerphone, or 1571 kicks in, or the person refuses to accept the call, then surely we shouldn't be charged.
That's the way it used to be before (I assume) de-regulation.

I'm under the impression you can contact 0800Reverse and specifically ask them to block/stop any calls via them so as to avoid this excessive fee for basically not being in to answer the phone.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 7:19pm

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:37pm:
I'm under the impression you can contact 0800Reverse and specifically ask them to block/stop any calls via them so as to avoid this excessive fee for basically not being in to answer the phone.

This is obviously a huge ripoff compared to getting an 0800 package from www.call08.com if you need such a facility.

Still it would in theory be quite a good emergency facility for your kids etc if only the call charges weren't such a scam and if only all mobile phones no longer conveyed any calls to an 0800 number free of charge.   Imagine your kids calling you on their mobile phone using the 0800 number thinking it was a free call and then being hit with these charges for receiving them even though they still also paid 30p per minute or whatever for the call. Shocked Cry Cry Cry

I have come to the conclusion that Ofcom is now nothing more than a legalised charter for every telco scammer and cheat in the United Kingdom to come up with ever more devious schemes to ripoff and fleece UK telecoms consumers.

As Bobby Boy has suggested before this all needs tackling at high level either through the EU and the Misleading Advertising Directive or through the Parliamentary Ombudsman and by complaining to the Director Generals of the OFT and the Competition Commission that Ofcom isn't enforcing effectively functions that they would normally carry out in other UK industries.

How can we have a government that on the one hand bans smoking at the pub to protect our health and has CCTV and speed cameras almost everywhere to track our every move on the road but has then opens us up to being assaulted by every devious telco scammer known to mankind? Huh Undecided Sad Cry Cry Cry
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2006 at 8:00pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 7:33pm

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 6th, 2006 at 4:56pm:
ICSTIS have launched another site called Phonebrain.org.uk.

This new site is a child's guide to premium rate services but also briefly mentions 08x numbers.

Not very surprisingly, even ICSTIS describes 084x/087x numbers as either 'local' or 'national' rate.  See this page, and from it I quote:-

Quote:
What does the code mean to you and your money?
  • Most expensive = 090
    Name = premium rate
    Cost =
    10p
    - £1.50 per minute

Even that's wrong.

There are at least 7 types of 090 calls which cost 5p/minute to call!

090000 and 090877 are a couple.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2006 at 7:47pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 7:37pm

Off topic replies discussing 0800 Reverse expensive charges have been moved to This Thread.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2006 at 9:28am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 9:22am

I have emailed ICSTIS about their description of 0845/0870

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 9:52am

bbb,

I really think the title of this thread ought to be "Now ICSTIS claim 0845 and 0870 are Local/National Rate" as the PhoneBrain title is really a bit of a red herring to be honest.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Now ICSTIS claim 084x/087x are Local/National Rate
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 10:06am

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 7th, 2006 at 9:52am:
I really think the title of this thread ought to be "Now ICSTIS claim 0845 and 0870 are Local/National Rate" as the PhoneBrain title is really a bit of a red herring to be honest.
I agree and have just changed the title.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 10:58am

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:25pm:
I have just sent an email to the Director and Deputy Director, along with a copy to the PA to the Director and webmaster.

I have just done the same, also copied to all the committee members and the complaint e-mail on their "contact us" page.

It is scandalous that a telco regulator can get it so wrong, even Ofcon now admit they are not "local/national rates".

IP Logged

warbaby

Re: Now ICSTIS claim 084x/087x are Local/National
Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 11:04am

SmileySorry to do this!! But am aged old crone of 73 who wishes to thank whoever posted alternative number for Aldi Stores! It worked a treat!! Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 11:10am

derrick wrote on Dec 7th, 2006 at 10:58am:
I have just done the same, also copied to all the committee members and the complaint e-mail on their "contact us" page.

It is scandalous that a telco regulator can get it so wrong, even Ofcon now admit they are not "local/national rates".

But did you also copy in your email to the CEO (Ed Richards) and board directors (exec and non exec all of whom have Ofcom email addreses) of Ofcom highlighting that this is a prime example of Ofcom's total failure to adequately deal with the 084/7 problem and the fact these calls are not local/national rate and that thus Ofcom is in dereliction of its duties under the EU Misleading Advertising Directive which have been delegated to it to enforce by the government in place of the usual OFT and Competition Commission who do this work for most other UK industries.

Ofcom email addreses are firstname.lastname@ofcom.org.uk

The Ofcom Board and its members can be found at www.ofcom.org.uk/about/csg/ofcom_board/biogs/
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2006 at 11:11am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 11:16am

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 7th, 2006 at 10:06am:
I agree and have just changed the title.

Thanks bbb.

This is kind of a relevant topic when of course we have also learned from their Pre-Consultation that ICSTIS also don't seem to think 0871 numbers are in fact Premium Rate, even though is the supposed reason the regulation of these numbers is being put under their control.

Now we learn that that they don't even understand 084/7 numbers are "uncontrolled premium rate" either. Sad Shocked Cry
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2006 at 11:16am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 11:29am

Just received the following:-

Dear Derrick,

Thank you for your interest in our website, www.phonebrain.org.uk.

The wording ‘local rate’ and ‘national rate’ will be removed.

Regards,

Luis da Silva
Website Co-ordinator
020 7940 7467
ldasilva@icstis.org.uk

ICSTIS
Clove Building
4 Maguire Street
London SE1 2NQ
www.icstis.org.uk

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge