Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Floodline (Environment Agency) - 0845 9881188 (Read 43,617 times)
jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Floodline (Environment Agency) - 0845 9881188
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:39am

Spot on Derrick - we aren't asking for an 0800 number, but one that is cheaper to call than an 084x number!

There is now no excuse for government agencies to continue to use 0845 numbers when 03 numbers are available. They are at no cost to us to call (over and above what it would cost to call a landline) and provide exactly the same resilience functionality that Floodline needs when there are lots of calls to it during an emergency.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

jimbo2005

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 8:03pm

Virgin Media customers would still have to pay for the calls so we want an 02 number please!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 8:05pm

Why? Virgin Media customers should not be paying for 03 numbers if their 01/02 numbers are free. 03 numbers are meant to be charged at the same rates as 01/02 numbers, and included in any inclusive free minutes. If this is not the case, you need to report Virgin Media to Ofcom.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

jimbo2005

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:26pm

They are regarded as non geographic and as such incur a charge of 3p per minute plus connection of 7p.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:40pm

Maybe a good reason not to be with money-grabbing Virgin Media  Roll Eyes.

However, for the benefit of everyone else who should have 03 numbers charged at 01/02 rates, the EA has no excuse for not changing over to those numbers.

IP Logged

jimbo2005

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 1:00am

Good news is that it would appear that 03 numbers are now included.  Hope so.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 11:48am

jimbo2005 wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:26pm:
They are regarded as non geographic and as such incur a charge of 3p per minute plus connection of 7p.

From their website; -http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=3&buspart=buyat
  Click on any of the  "view details"

Unlimited* calls to UK landlines (that's numbers beginning with 01, 02 or 03)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 11:25pm

You can reach Flood Line by dialling 029 20245000, option 2. It will put you through to the Floodline. There's the usual lies about the Floodline 0845 number being "local rate" and call to this number being "national rate".  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 11:28pm

Good find Dave. Doesn't surprise me regarding their "local" and "national" rate lies...

IP Logged

mirthman

Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:42am

Folks, a bit less of the mildly agressive sounding and ill informed accusations of 'lies', eh? Reasoned argument & debate using knowledge is surely the civilised approach, not conclusion-jumping and insult hurling!  Shocked

First off, the number Dave suggested will connect you to a call centre, but you won't be able to use it to access any of the Floodline quickdial codes directly. So anybody wanting to access their known local floodwarning scheme shortcut will only be slowed down by this, especially during a busy flooding event, quite probably increasing the cost (hopefully only telephonic) to themselves. So fair play to him but I hope this extra info helps adds another piece to the jigsaw.

Floodline was set up as an 0845 number in all good faith by folk seeing to help protect people. The 03, fixed price and inclusive telecoms deals did not exist then, and 0845 was a way to make calling Floodline MORE affordable to most. (Surely you remember the structure of 'national' and 'local' call rates that BT operated? Unless you lived near where the call centre was situated it would have cost more to contact a geographic number than the 0845).

That said, telecoms has moved on and yes, the 03 numbers should be, and are being, looked at. However  a huge amount of public money has been invested in the 0845 number being published, remembered and used by people all over the UK. National, regional and local leaflets, adverts, directory listings, emergency service contact listings, media, etc etc blah blah all now have the 0845 number in circulation. To change that without considering safety first, and the best use of taxpayer's money second would be irresponsible.

I don't live in a flood risk area but, if I was, I know I'd rather effort were concentrated on making sure Floodline provides timely and accurate accessible advice to those in need. rather than subsidising it to such a degree that every UK taxpayer pays more, but the service potentially suffers.

I feel strongly about this because I work in the 'Warning and Informing' field of government comms, and know the real pressures which exist on the service every day. The folk involved (like me, although I don't handle telephony!) aren't commercial rip-off merchants. Mostly we are damned hard-working fairly stressed individuals trying to provide the best service to the end user, for the least expense to the public purse, which is no easy task!

Please, don't lump us in with the 0870 cash-grabbers in the commercial world.

Over and out from me, thanks for listening!
Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:57am

mirthman wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:42am:
Floodline was set up as an 0845 number in all good faith by folk seeing to help protect people. The 03, fixed price and inclusive telecoms deals did not exist then, and 0845 was a way to make calling Floodline MORE affordable to most. (Surely you remember the structure of 'national' and 'local' call rates that BT operated? Unless you lived near where the call centre was situated it would have cost more to contact a geographic number than the 0845).

The final nail in the coffin went into these call plans in 2004. Prior to that, more and more people were moving towards these tariffs and onto chargeable tariffs where local and national calls were the same.

So why does Floodline still mislead callers four years later? Why has the message not been re-recorded? It's to be hoped that the information on flooding is a damn sight more up to date than this!

mirthman wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:42am:
That said, telecoms has moved on and yes, the 03 numbers should be, and are being, looked at. However  a huge amount of public money has been invested in the 0845 number being published, remembered and used by people all over the UK. National, regional and local leaflets, adverts, directory listings, emergency service contact listings, media, etc etc blah blah all now have the 0845 number in circulation. To change that without considering safety first, and the best use of taxpayer's money second would be irresponsible.

What absolute rubbish! The existing 0845 number does not need to be withdrawn any time soon. Simply introduce a 03 number and run it along side the 0845 number. New leaflets and publicity material should promote the 03 number.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 1:00am

I should point out that no, I don't remember a time when 0845 was local rate and 0870 was national rate (that was a time before I got into telephony and this malarkey Smiley) but the fact that the line is (apparently) still saying that 0845 is local rate is a lie. Plain and simple. I don't think we were "lumping you together" as such - just pointing out that you should not be reporting call cost information incorrectly.

I don't doubt that the number was originally set up in good faith, but (as you agree) times have changed. It is now unfortunately (especially for those calling from a mobile) much more expensive to call an 0845 number than it is to call a normal geographic or UK-wide 03 number. I know that that is a situation outside of the control of the users of 0845 numbers, but I'm sure that it makes pretty logical sense that during a flood, most people will be calling from a mobile and not their landline.

I'm glad to here that the use of an 03 number is being considered. Obviously, as you say, a lot of money has been spent on publicising the 0845 number, but that is no reason to not go ahead with an 03 number. Surely both numbers can be run concurrently, and publicity for the 03 number can overtake that of the 0845 number.

Finally, I'm sure that you guys do a great job and many are grateful for your help and assistance. Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #27 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 2:45pm

mirthman wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:12am:
Hi there.

Couldn't resist adding a few comments on this, as I'm one of the folk who works with one of the government agencies which operates Floodline.

[…]

Floodline calls to SEPA (and the EA's regional communication centres) are routed from a shared call centre in Bangor, Northern Ireland. This is operated by Teleperformance (previously MMT), who also provide further service back-up to both agencies during major flooding events.

[…]

See case study from Teleperformance:

http://www.teleperformance.co.uk/media/downloads/case_studys/Case_Study_Environm...

Quote:
The Floodline service was jointly developed over a period of six months by Teleperformance and the Environment Agency’s Floodline team to establish a comprehensive message management service to support their emergency telephone helpline. The new Remote Message Service (RMS) utilises a complex Interactive Voice Recognition (IVR) messaging system and knowledge base, containing over 2,000 messages, providing real-time updates to callers on the state of flood alert for their own geographical location. Using a dedicated bank of 720 IVR lines, the RMS is used to greet all callers at the front end of the service, providing them with total self-service functionality.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that there are 720 geographical numbers, but it nonetheless suggests that the Floodline IVR is hosted by Teleperformance.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #28 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 4:41pm

Good Evening,

it's clearly been a few years since this post has been commented on, so I thought I'd come here and make a comment.

The Environment Agency (EA) is STILL displaying an 0845 number for it's Flood Line service, despite SayNoTo0870 finding out the 0345 equivalent.

I noticed that the EA has changed a multitude of numbers to 03 alternatives but not this one.

Has anyone been in contact with them over this?

I have also posted regarding it here: http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1354104920/0#6

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #29 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:06pm

Good Afternoon All,

Just thought I'd pay the Environment Agency (EA) website a visit... and low and behold right in the middle of the main page they are proudly advertising their Flood Line with the 0845 number listed...

What a surprise...

Sorry but it does still annoy me.  Angry

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge