Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Notification that an e-mail has been read (Read 16,804 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Notification that an e-mail has been read
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 3:48pm

derrick wrote on Feb 6th, 2007 at 3:41pm:
When I get an e-mail that I don't like the look of, I right click it > properties > details > message source, this allows me to read the e-mail without opening it from my inbox?! I am assuming by doing this I have not actually opened the e-mail, then I go back to the inbox where the e-mail is still in bold,(i.e. not opened), and just delete it, this in OE not sure if same with Outlook.

Before I got the latest version of OE I used to do that. OE6 allows you to disable the loading of images in e-mails. Once you have opened such an email, you can then select the option to view the images. This gets round the possibility of it being a spam email that has an image in it that when loaded confirms your email address as being a live one, thus they send you more spam. The MSGTAG service works in the same way. It's also worthwhile remembering that for MSGTAG to work, the recipient must have a live internet connection and that MSGTAG isn't blocked by a firewall.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2007 at 4:07pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 6:56pm

Webmail from hotmail, yahoo (and I assume google) offers the facility to block images which would also prevent the MSGTAG from working as intended.

Basically, due to the ever increasing rate of spam, services like MSGTAG are becoming redudant due to default settings of NOT displaying images within emails received.

The way to look at it is unless you receive an email saying it was undelivered then the person/company has received the email but it may not always be possible to know when it was read.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2007 at 6:57pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:30pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 6th, 2007 at 6:56pm:
Webmail from hotmail, yahoo (and I assume google) offers the facility to block images which would also prevent the MSGTAG from working as intended.

Basically, due to the ever increasing rate of spam, services like MSGTAG are becoming redudant due to default settings of NOT displaying images within emails received.

The way to look at it is unless you receive an email saying it was undelivered then the person/company has received the email but it may not always be possible to know when it was read.

These services may well provide the facility not to display images but many users don't enable it because it deprives them of crucial content from legitimate email senders.  Norton Antispam gave me the facility not to display images in emails but I had to turn it off as it was so inconvenient.

Another way to loook at MSGTAG is that its a permanently free service (for the basic service which seems to offer eveyrything you need) and increases the number of confirmed email receipts above using just Read Receipt.  I frequently have to use likely email addresses for senior management in organisations that I am trying to get action from and often the junior customer service staff will not provide me with those email addresses.   Therefore anything which is free and increases the total number of read receipts I get has to be a bonus.

The way I look at it is that if I don't have a read receipt I have no guarantee a message has been read as there are loads of email servers that don't bounce messages for non-existent or closed email accounts.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge