Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When it's time to say NO to the Carphone Warehouse (Read 18,842 times)
toast

Nooob

When it's time to say NO to the Carphone Warehouse
Mar 30th, 2007 at 5:45pm

There's a whole lot more aggro to it, but basically Carphone Warehouse have a scam involving their 0870 number which will never be answered, and I've exposed it. OK, the video drags on a bit, but I didn't want to put any edits in so it's clear there's no cheating!
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2407663456841645458

I've told OFTEL, they say to check with a lawyer, which I briefly did, and he says that if a charge is made with the expectation that a service will be provided, and that service ISN'T provided (even after the company has been told), then an offence has been comitted.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: When it's time to say NO to the Carphone Wareh
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:09pm

Have a look at this thread about an Ofcom "own-inniative investigation" into possible misuse of 087 numbers. You could contact Matthew Peake, the case leader.

I also suggest you report this to your local trading standards.

It is also worth reporting this to Nokia. Did you buy your phone from CPW or was it that Nokia directed you to them?

Nokia may decide to take away CPW's 'repair centre' status if it provides bad customer service like this.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:13pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:43pm

I agree with Dave's comments above.

You could also consider approaching some newspapers that have highlighted the issues with 0870.  Maybe even watchdog!?

I've sent you a PM.

BTW, thank you for going through all that trouble of making a video to highlight problems us customers face which Ofcom likes to believe don't exist at all.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:51pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:10am

toast wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 5:45pm:
There's a whole lot more aggro to it, but basically Carphone Warehouse have a scam involving their 0870 number which will never be answered, and I've exposed it. OK, the video drags on a bit, but I didn't want to put any edits in so it's clear there's no cheating!
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2407663456841645458

I've told OFTEL, they say to check with a lawyer, which I briefly did, and he says that if a charge is made with the expectation that a service will be provided, and that service ISN'T provided (even after the company has been told), then an offence has been comitted.

A well presented video that accurately reflects how so many businesses in the UK fleece the long-suffering customer while the regulator sits on its fat corrupt corporate backside and does nothing. As I'm sure you are aware, the scam also extends to primary health providers, aided by the odious NEG plc, whereby a patient is expected to call a premium rate 0844 number simply to make an appointment while NEG rakes in a tidy profit.

Good luck should you decide to pursue this further.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 9:34pm

Wow! That is absolutely crazy!! It just shows the lengths to which companies will try and rake as much money off unsuspecting consumers. I'm so glad the TalkTalk broadband support number is free from a TalkTalk landline (yes, I know it is still an 0870) because I swear they keep you on hold deliberately to make profit on that (despite being free from our landline), even after the "big boss" said they had slashed call waiting times. If it hadn't have been free, I probably would have gone and strangled someone at head office for keeping me on the phone so long...

James

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

IAVOID0870

South East
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:26pm

I recently UPGRADED through the CARPHONE WAREHOUSE, I wish I hadn't of bothered now.

All I seem to get now is text after text, and call after call from them hassling me...

I will NOT be using this company again....

BTW - Top Video, and you have highlighted how the rest of us feel about this rip off of NGN numbers
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:27pm by IAVOID0870 »  

IP Logged

P1casso

Carphone Warehouse
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:46pm

Carphone Warehouse.  Each store has its own 0870 number for which SAYNOTO0870.COM has no geographic equivalent.

If you want to query something with a particular store that is not covered by one of the automatic telephone options,  staff only seem to answer the phone if they are not busy with shop customers - leaving the telephone caller hanging on a presumably high call rate.  Angry

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Carphone Warehouse
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 6:06pm

Quite right too, nothing more annoying than being served by an assistant and they stop to answer the phone, leaving you to twiddle your thumbs. Well I don't, I walk out. Angry

There are some other numbers here....

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?ARTICLE...

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:44pm

Whilst having a go at Carphone Warehouse, let us not forget that its subsidiary Opal Telecom is the provider of the 0844 numbers used by NEG for its Surgery Line system - http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1160182005.

It would not be unreasonable to assume (although I have not checked) that the same company provides the 0870 numbers used by Carphone Warehouse itself. As a "self-provider" of network telephone services it has even less justification for using revenue sharing numbers.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:01pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:44pm:
It would not be unreasonable to assume (although I have not checked) that the same company provides the 0870 numbers used by Carphone Warehouse itself.

For the 0800 and 0870 numbers listed here, "Opal Telecom" is the provider (surprise surprise!)

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge