Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using A Zoom Router With A Cable Connection? (Read 4,962 times)
UKFemale

London
Using A Zoom Router With A Cable Connection?
Jul 26th, 2007 at 6:34pm

I have a Zoom X5v Router which I have been using for VOIP (VOIP Cheap) Calls, with a Broaband ADSL Service.

I have now switched to a Cable Service, and I have been told that I can use the Zoom Router with my Cable Modem.

I have plugged the Ethernet Cable leading from the Cable Modem into my Zoom Router, but I'm still unable to make VOIP Calls with a Cordlless Phone and my Computer Switched off.

Can anyone, please, inform me how to do this, including the Configuration for the Zoom Software?

I shall be very grateful for any help.

Thank you

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Re: Using A Zoom Router With A Cable Connection?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 1:40am

So are you saying that you can make VoIP calls when you have your computer switched on - and presumably plugged into a LAN Ethernet port (as opposed to the 'WAN' port on the Zoom that goes to the cable modem).

Does the Zoom router have a normal phone socket that allows you to plug your regular phone in?

Can you access the Internet from your computer via your cable connection through the Zoom router?

I'm showing that the X5V is a combined ADSL modem and router.......?http://www.voipuser.org/review_29.html

If that is the case, then surely the 'WAN' port expects to see an ADSL signal on a broadband line? If you have that plugged into a cable modem, it will never work!
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 1:45am by mikeinnc »  

IP Logged

UKFemale

London
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 11:41am

mikeinnc wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 1:40am:
So are you saying that you can make VoIP calls when you have your computer switched on - and presumably plugged into a LAN Ethernet port (as opposed to the 'WAN' port on the Zoom that goes to the cable modem).

Does the Zoom router have a normal phone socket that allows you to plug your regular phone in?

Can you access the Internet from your computer via your cable connection through the Zoom router?

I'm showing that the X5V is a combined ADSL modem and router.......?http://www.voipuser.org/review_29.html

If that is the case, then surely the 'WAN' port expects to see an ADSL signal on a broadband line? If you have that plugged into a cable modem, it will never work!

No! what I'm saying is that I'm now UNABLE to make calls with VOIP CHEAP since having the Cable Service, with my COMPUTER SWITCHED OFF.

[b]The Zoom Router does have a normal Phone Socket, but I presume that it does not (which I was told) work with Cable Internet and only with ADSL Internet.

Yes, I am able to access the Internet, via my Cable Connection, through the Zoom Router, but I'm UNABLE to make calls (as I previously did) with my Computer SWITCHED OFF, although a Staff Member at Virgin informed me that he is able to make calls with his Cable Connection, using the same Router as I have, with his Computer switched off.   Incidentally, I also contacted Zoom, but they were unable to help me.

I think that I'll abandon the idea now, LOL, and I'll make the VOIP calls with my Computer SWITCHED ON.  Unless, of course, anyone else knows better?  

In this Forum last year, A VERY NICE MAN (Poster's Name) gave me some accurate information when we first had the Zoom Router.

[b]Thank you for the link and your much appreciated help.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 1:37pm

Hello UKFemale

I guess I am confused! The Zoom website clearly defines the model X5V as:

Quote:
X5v:- A single integrated product with: an ADSL modem, ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) with TelePort™, router, firewall, and 4-port switching hub. The X5v uses the SIP protocol.

see http://www.zoom.com/products/voiceover_ip_overview.html

The highlighted text is the important thing. Since this device contains an ADSL modem, you can't use it directly on a cable connection. They use totally different methods for carrying the broadband signals. So my real question is - how on earth are you using the Zoom device with your - presumably separate - cable modem? The only thing I can imagine is that you have the cable modem LAN port connected into one of the four switched Ethernet LAN ports on the Zoom device, and your computer connected to another. If that is the case, the Zoom device is just operating as a switch (what Zoom call a 'switching hub'). It still doesn't explain how you can make calls with the computer switched on, though!

If you want to be able to do what you did previously on ADSL, and make VoIP calls independently, I think you are going to have to buy an independent ATA (analog telephone adapter). Linksys make such devices. The problem with your Zoom is it has that ADSL modem built in and that makes it useless with a DOCSIS cable connection. When you had ADSL, it would have been a great solution - just one box instead of three (modem; router / switch and ATA). However, now you have changed to a cable connection, it is a bit of a dinosaur! I'm not sure, but I don't know of any devices that incorporate all three functions in a single box with a cable modem instead of an ADSL one.

I know this doesn't exactly help you a great deal, but at least I guess you know what the situation is - and what you probably have to do to fix it! Best of luck.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge