Don't let the bigshots
in business win!

GLASGOW
141 prefix
Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:24am

Quote:
Therefore to block your number, it is recommended that you must

remember to prefix the number called with

Can anyone tell me how to show my number?  

I have recently gone ex directory but asked BT NOT to withhold my number so that I can decide when to withhold it.  My husband's sister phoned to wish him happy birthday but by the time I got to the phone she'd hung up!  She left a message and when Raymond tried to phone her back he got a message saying that the phone number doesn't take private number calls...   Because my sister in law hasn't had a return call she's going to fall out for life with her brother... yup they're a weird family that my husband has!

This is going to cauee problems in other families and it is dangerous in that someone who has maybe gone ex directory because of nuisance calls will find it difficult to keep in touch with family members.

I know there is a code you can use before your number but no-one seems to know what it is....   Even if it's only to stop a family feud it would be great to have our freedom to phone who we like when we like bac,...  Thanks in advance

Love & huggies&&&&From&&&&Kuddles&&xxxx

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: 141 prefix
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:32am

You can use 1470 to release your caller ID.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Kuddles

Don't let the bigshots
in business win!

GLASGOW
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 12:14pm

Quote:
You can use 1470 to release your caller ID.

Thanks J!

Now I can repair bridges!

Wink

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 6:28pm

Kuddles wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:24am:
I have recently gone ex directory but asked BT NOT to withhold my number so that I can decide when to withhold it.  My husband's sister phoned to wish him happy birthday but by the time I got to the phone she'd hung up!  She left a message and when Raymond tried to phone her back he got a message saying that the phone number doesn't take private number calls...   Because my sister in law hasn't had a return call she's going to fall out for life with her brother... yup they're a weird family that my husband has!

As has already been said, 1470 will release your number.  BUT BT should have not set you witheld if you asked not to be - the two are seperate, and you can be ex-directory and still release your number.  It sounds like an over-zealous operator has set it against your wishes and you should complain.   As for why your relative has ACR on their line I will not ask.. You can dial 17070 to double check it's your line - if it says "no number was detected" or suchlike, then you are witheld.

BTW, did you know there were two levels of ex-directory?
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Exch_Lines_boo/2-0009_d0e5.htm
Quote:
We recognise that our customers have varying requirements for privacy and contactability and so we offer three levels of directory entry:

Full Directory Entry (DE) - which ensures their contact details are listed in all BT's directory products and services
Directory Enquiries Only (DQR) - which removes their details from printed directories but retains them on Directory Enquiry services. This option prevents disclosure of the customer's address.
Ex-Directory (XD) - which removes their details from published directories and prevents their number being divulged through directory enquiry services.

BT is required to make its directory data available to other directory service providers and to include their data in its own products and services. The uses to which this data can be put are strictly controlled.

I useed to have DQR because I was in a short term rent at the time, and didn't want the number hanging around in books..

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 6:30pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:35pm

irrelevant wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 6:28pm:

Full Directory Entry (DE) - which ensures their contact details are listed in all BT's directory products and services
Directory Enquiries Only (DQR) - which removes their details from printed directories but retains them on Directory Enquiry services. This option prevents disclosure of the customer's address.
Ex-Directory (XD) - which removes their details from published directories and prevents their number being divulged through directory enquiry services.

In fact there are three levels.
Ex-Directory (XD) could read "which removes their details from published directories and prevents their number being divulged through directory enquiry services, except to the police on request (in the event of an accident involving relatives, for example)".
The third level is 'no listing', for which no record is actually held by directory enquiries. This is used for modem-only lines and burglar alarm lines, etc.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:36pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

Kuddles

Don't let the bigshots
in business win!

GLASGOW
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 10:39am

Quote:
As has already been said, 1470 will release your number.  BUT BT should have not set you witheld if you asked not to be - the two are seperate, and you can be ex-directory and still release your number.  It sounds like an over-zealous operator has set it against your wishes and you should complain.   As for why your relative has ACR on their line I will not ask.. You can dial 17070 to double check it's your line - if it says "no number was detected" or suchlike, then you are witheld.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Exch_Lines_boo/2-0009_d0e5.htm

I dialled 17070 and got the BT Line Test... does that mean my number isn't withheld?  I did specifically state, at the time of going ex-direct, that I did NOT want the number withheld.

I phoned my sister in law using the 1470 and told her about the problem.  She says "people keep phoning in the middle of the night" and that's why they don't accept private number calls...   Personally she's a bit dim and between her and her other brother appear to have never ordered withheld numbers to be barred.. her opiion is that Quote:
NTL have been covering their backs
but she says she's going to contact them to make sure that our number isn't barred.

Thanks for the info though.  I'll contact BT today to make sure that my number isn't being withheld.. glad I asked you now

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge