<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
03 - Cost to ring (Read 94,789 times)
Wicliffe

03 - Cost to ring
Dec 29th, 2007 at 12:00pm

At the risk of sounding stupid - do we know how much it will cost to ring 03 numbers for telcom companies other than BT.
My land line (Talk Talk) does not charge me for any number starting 01 or 02 9&32 other countries).
However they DO charge me ofr a FreePhone call to an 0800 numbers.
My mobile likewise but also get cross network calls so 01, 02 & 07 numbers.

Do we know how companies like these will charge for 03 numbers.

Got a feeling the question hasbeen asked on a separte thread, if so I apologies I can't find it.

Cheers All  -Good site.

IP Logged

Minardi

Derby
Re: 03 - Cost to ring
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:01pm

Haven't our old friends OfCom specified they have to be included in calling numbers?

Call the RSPCA number (0300 1234 999) for a few seconds and see if it appears on your next bill is a suggestion (or even if you can call it!)

Minardi

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:43pm

Minardi wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:01pm:
Haven't our old friends OfCom specified they have to be included in calling numbers?

Call the RSPCA number (0300 1234 999) for a few seconds and see if it appears on your next bill is a suggestion (or even if you can call it!)

Minardi

Using Voipstunt, "the number you dialed is invalid"

IP Logged

Minardi

Derby
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 7:29pm

derrick wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:43pm:
Minardi wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:01pm:

Minardi

Using Voipstunt, "the number you dialed is invalid"

Works via 3 Mobile and Virgin Media Landline

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 7:32pm

03s are charged at no more than 01/02 rate. So in your case they will be inclusive at no extra cost.

IP Logged

parttimepar

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 2:30pm

I am with Sky talk £5 inclusive package. I made a call to book a driving test on  the 0300 number given on their website and have been charged .072p inc. vat for under a minute call! I understood these numbers were to be part of all inclusive or charged at the same as 01 and 02. Sky is describing this call as a NGN!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:48pm

parttimepar wrote on Jan 1st, 2008 at 2:30pm:
I am with Sky talk £5 inclusive package. I made a call to book a driving test on  the 0300 number given on their website and have been charged .072p inc. vat for under a minute call! I understood these numbers were to be part of all inclusive or charged at the same as 01 and 02. Sky is describing this call as a NGN!

If you have (sensibly) left your line rental with BT (BT Together Option 1 @ £10.50/month incl. VAT if you pay by DD and opt for the 50p/month discount for paper-free billing), dialling 1280 to 'hop back onto BT' - the prefix to override the CPS programming for an individual call - will overcome Sky's greed in future.

Better still, get yourself a 18185 account and use that prefix - your 03 calls will then cost you 5p (regardless of duration) at any time.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:50pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 10:37am

If Sky landline calls are "free", then aren't they in breach of the Ofcom guideline that says 03 numbers must be charged at the same rate as 01/02 numbers, including being "free" like landline calls? You can probably report Sky to Ofcom (for all the good it will do you!)

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Minardi

Derby
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 11:20am

jgxenite wrote on Jan 2nd, 2008 at 10:37am:
If Sky landline calls are "free", then aren't they in breach of the Ofcom guideline that says 03 numbers must be charged at the same rate as 01/02 numbers, including being "free" like landline calls? You can probably report Sky to Ofcom (for all the good it will do you!)

I had exactly the same thought. They are free through Virgin Media.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Virgin Media and 03
Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 10:17am

I have been emailing VM re my broadband/cps phone with them and thought it might be of interest to show their view of 03 numbers;-

Dear Shakir,

Thank you for your prompt reply, can you tell me when/if Virgin are to include 03 numbers on their geo call charges i.e. include or charged at 01 & 02 prices as per Ofcoms indications?

Thanks

Derrick

Dear Derrick,

Thanks for your email.

I would like to inform you that we keep on reviewing our packages and always try to add something more good and interesting features to our packages but as of now we have not included 03 numbers free in the package.

Many Thanks

Shakir

VM tarrifs can be found here;- http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/callingcosts.html ;  UK non-geographic calls, (page 19 for 03), where you can see they are charging at geo rates, but are not including them in packages,   this pdf lists their Residential tariffs(page 4 for 01/02).

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Virgin Media and 03
Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 10:40am

As I've just pointed out to someone similarly complaining about Sky charging 03 at apparently NGN rates, doesn't this mean Virgin Media is also in breach of their contract as Ofcom has said 03 should be charged at geographic rates and including in free landline call bundles?

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 11:39am

VM's booklet for Non-Geographical Charges is here:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/uk_non-geographical_calls_a.pdf

See page 19: Calls to all 03xx prefixes are 6p connection plus 3 pence per minute at all times. This is the same as the geographical dial-up internet numbers which are identified.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 12:10pm

Virgin Media is doing exactly the opposite of what Ofcom wanted with 03 numbers! They point of 03 numbers were that they would be charged at geographic rates (01/02) and included in any free bundles! See here.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 1:43pm

Dave wrote on Jan 2nd, 2008 at 11:39am:

See page 19: Calls to all 03xx prefixes are 6p connection plus 3 pence per minute at all times. This is the same as the geographical dial-up internet numbers which are identified.

I have already pointed to that page in my post above, however it turns out that page is full of mistakes and is to be pulled and rectified, i.e. geo calls are now 4ppm, conn charge is 7p etc

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 3:26pm

Dave wrote on Jan 2nd, 2008 at 11:39am:

I have been speaking with VM.

I am awaiting formal confirmation, but I believe that VM is complying with the Ofcom regulations, including 03 in packages and charging for them at no more than 01/02. This is the information given on the main web pages.

Giving rates for calls to 03 numbers in a table of "non-geographic" numbers, labelling them as "geographic" does seem a little odd. The charge is however less than for true geographic numbers when not both are not free. On package "M" a daytime call to a 01/02 number is charged at 3.25ppm, an 03 number at 3.00 ppm (a 7p connection charge applies to both).

The current VM tariff came into effect on 1 November 2007.

There are problems with the briefings issued to customer support advisors and with the charges applied to "legacy" packages or bundles, for which there is no published price list.

I have found that there are serious problems with the pdfs accessible from their website, as out of date versions seem to be provided to some when following the current links.

The URL quoted above provides two versions of the document. One, dated 1 November 2007, correctly shows the connection charge as 7p and omits separate weekend rates. Another, dated 6 October 2007, shows the connection charge as 6p and separate weekend rates. **

The calling costs page also provides access to a Residential tariffs document:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/residential_tariffs_a.pdf.

This has only been found to exist in the 6 October 2007 (out of date) version, advising a connection charge of 6p and excluding 03 from the definition of "geographic calls".

Google appears to have found the 1 November 2007 version as its html cache shows the connection charge as 7p and includes 03.**

I will post again when I receive confirmation of all the above, and advice of the action that will be taken to put it all right, from VM.

David

** Internet gurus may like to explain how one URL can give two different results during the same time period (Use of Ctrl-f5 shows that it is not the cache on my pc). Members may like to advise which versions they get!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge