Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
03 - Cost to ring (Read 94,957 times)
oldharryrocks

Re: 03 - Cost to ring
Reply #75 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:57am

willyg wrote on Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:48am:
Just for the record, I called O2 (Carphone Warehouse) this morning about O3 numbers, and first of all they said that they would charge 20p/min, even for free minutes. Then I mentioned OFCOM, and they put me on hold, made some enquiries further up the chain, and then changed their minds and said that 03 calls were included in free call bundles.

I just took out a O2 sim only contract with free unlimited landline calls bolt on ,and they clearly state It offers unlimited calls to UK landlines (starting 01, 02 or 03) at anytime in the UK.

IP Logged

redant

Reply #76 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 12:05pm

Same response with my talktalk landline account (converted from onetel!) initial reply was 03 numbers will not be included in your inclusive "bundle". I mentioned that Ofcon had said these numbers will be and as I was dialling one of these numbers I wanted to know the exact price structure before calling.  Was asked to hold while it was referred to a senior manager!!!! (I managed to get a call center in Scotland, at least the person had a scottish accent).  After a few minutes was advised that it was NOW included.  What is going on-one questions how ofcom have cascaded information regarding the costing of these numbers to the telcos and if the telcos are just waiting to see how many people realise and complain, and then react accordingly.

IP Logged

willyg

Reply #77 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 12:29pm

oldharryrocks wrote on Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:57am:
willyg wrote on Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:48am:
Just for the record, I called O2 (Carphone Warehouse) this morning about O3 numbers, and first of all they said that they would charge 20p/min, even for free minutes. Then I mentioned OFCOM, and they put me on hold, made some enquiries further up the chain, and then changed their minds and said that 03 calls were included in free call bundles.

I just took out a O2 sim only contract with free unlimited landline calls bolt on ,and they clearly state It offers unlimited calls to UK landlines (starting 01, 02 or 03) at anytime in the UK.

Yes - but it's worth noting that O2 and 'O2 Carphone warehouse' are different companies, with different rules.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Finarea Now Connecting to 03 & At 01/02 Rates
Reply #78 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 2:17pm

As this thread has gone quiet in the last few months I presume that most of the main landline and mobile phone telcos are now charging for calls to 03 numbers at 01/02 rates and/or as part of any inclusive calling plan and as part of bundled minutes allowances?

However the recent replacement by Surrey County Council (a council I am a council tax payer of) nearly two weeks ago of its main 0845 contact centre number with an 0345 number and various other 0300 numbers for individual services caused me to test connectivity to these numbers with www.18185.co.uk - one of the stable of Finarea indirect access call brands that also include www.1899.com and www.18866.co.uk

On doing so I was rather perturbed to find that my call was not connected and that I instead received the message "This is a BT announcement.  The telephone network is busy please try again later".  This message was played repeatedly no matter how many times I dialled the number.  These were the same symptoms I had formerly experienced a few months ago with www.yourcalls.net (a WLR provider who I pay my whole phone bill to but who do not block access to indirect access carriers like Finarea) when I tried to dial the BBC Information call centre directly without any prefix so that the call would route with yourcalls.net and their telecoms partners.  In that case I reported the problem to www.yourcalls.net who told me to dial 1280 to ensure BT routed the call for the time being but also reported it as a fault. However when testing calling the new Surrey CC Contact Centre main number (03456 009009) using my www.yourcalls.net line 10 days or so ago without a prefix I got straight through, unlike with 18185. 

So I emailed both the main commercial manager of Finarea Igor Tracchea (igor.tracchia@finarea.ch) and the CEO of BT, Ian Livingston (ian.livingston@bt.com) indicating my concern that calls to 03 numbers using Finarea calling brands with UK indirect access codes were being blocked with the message "This is A BT Announcement.  The Telephone Network is Busy. Please Try Again Later".  I received no reply from Mr Tracchea but Ian Livingston did get one of his senior BT network managers to reply claiming that the blocking of the Finarea calls was nothing to do with them.

So anyhow today I thought I would just try giving Surrey County Council a call on their 0345 6009009 new main number using 18185.  So I dialled the number with the 18185 prefix and what do you know I got straight through to their automated menu system.  I listened for a while and then checked my 18185 online billing account and sure enough it was charged at flat 5p rate indicating that 18185 are now treating 03 calls as being charged the same way as a call to geographic 01/02 number.  If it was being treated as an NGN then there would have been a 5p connection charge and the per minute charge too to that as the minimum call charge.

So it seems even a budget overseas telecoms carrier like Finarea can in fact manage to carry calls to 03 numbers once they have come under enough pressure to do so. Smiley

My next question though is what about Skype?  Does anyone use them and if so can you connect to 03 numbers with them and are they charged at the same rates as calls to other UK 01/02 prefixed phone numbers or instead still at g6 multimedia rate?

Also is anyone here who is based in the UK using a UK telecoms carrier who is still not connecting their calls to 03 numbers and giving the "telephone network is busy" message instead.  Or is anyone using a call carrier who is still trying to bill them at g6 multimedia rate for 03 calls instead of as per an 01/02 number and so out of their inclusive call package minutes where appropriate?

Also lastly what about our overseas members like idb.  Can you call 03456 009009 at your normal call package rates for calling UK 01/02 prefixed phone numbers?

All information that people can report on any continuing issues with calls to 03 numbers not being connected and charged as per calls to 01/02 numbers would be very much appreciated. Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #79 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 2:39pm

I know that 18185 did used to allow 03 calls a few months ago and they were charged as 01/02 numbers are.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Re: Finarea Now Connecting to 03 & At 01/02 Rates
Reply #80 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 3:19pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 2:17pm:

... indicating my concern that calls to 03 numbers using Finarea calling brands with UK indirect access codes were being blocked with the message "This is A BT Announcement.  The Telephone Network is Busy. Please Try Again Later".  

So it seems even a budget overseas telecoms carrier like Finarea can in fact manage to carry calls to 03 numbers once they have come under enough pressure to do so. Smiley

I think it was just a temporary congestion issue you encountered the other day.

They have been able to do so for some time, as you can read elsewhere

Oddly, various Betamax VoIP brands (who sometimes appear to have things in common with Finarea), could not reach some numbers I tried for several months after 18185 could, but I just called a couple successfully a few minutes ago

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #81 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 3:20pm

Dave wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 2:39pm:
I know that 18185 did used to allow 03 calls a few months ago and they were charged as 01/02 numbers are.

If that is the case then I think it must depend on which 03 number with 18185 it was as it appears some 03 numbers were being blocked due to lack of a connectivity agreement on that particular routing path.  This led to the message "the telephone network is busy".

This problem was not unique to Finarea as I was also getting this issue before when dialling 03 numbers on my www.yourcalls.net line unless I used the BT 1280 override code.  Although calls dialled with 1280 eventually end up back on my yourcalls.net bill the actual carrier is always BT in that instance and yourcalls.net then rebills those to me when BT passes the charge across to them.  The danger of course is that I will not be given the call as a free call out of my 01/02/03 calling plan as that may only be for calls routed with yourcalls.net themselves.  In fact I had better check my online bill to see what happened on those BBC calls where I had to use the 1280 prefix code to get through.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #82 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 3:24pm

andy9 wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 3:19pm:
I think it was just a temporary congestion issue you encountered the other day.

It seems odd there would be congestion calling just 03 numbers but not 01/02 numbers when so few of them are being called at the present time.  I have never had that message with 18185 when dialling a UK 01/02 number or a UK mobile number.

I did try calling the Surrey County Council 0345 number several times over a period of a day or more and always received the same message that "the telephone network is busy".

<div style=

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #83 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 11:28pm

I've had problems within the last ten days dialing my own 0333 numbers via voipcheap.com (betamax) getting an "invalid number" type message.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #84 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 12:00am

I'm happy to report that Localphone now charge 03 numbers at the same rate as their 01/02 numbers (1p per minute).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #85 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:41am

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 2:17pm:
Also lastly what about our overseas members like idb.  Can you call 03456 009009 at your normal call package rates for calling UK 01/02 prefixed phone numbers?
I have just tried the 0345 number above, and also an Ofcom 0300 number, from one of my calling cards (OneSuite.com), initiating the call from an AT&T landline and using a local access number, and both numbers connect and are charged at exactly the same rate as a geographic number (2.2c/min). The same provider charges 32c/min for all calls to +44 8XX. I'll try other providers later.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
DoH Consultation on GP Misuse of 0844
Reply #86 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 1:17am

idb wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:41am:
I have just tried the 0345 number above, and also an Ofcom 0300 number, from one of my calling cards (OneSuite.com), initiating the call from an AT&T landline and using a local access number, and both numbers connect and are charged at exactly the same rate as a geographic number (2.2c/min). The same provider charges 32c/min for all calls to +44 8XX. I'll try other providers later.

idb,

I trust that you will be making this point about the much lower calling cost of 03 numbers from overseas when you respond to the Department of Health's current consultation exercise on the need (or otherwise) to force doctors currently using 0844 numbers to replace them with 01, 02 or 03 prefixed phone numbers.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7783963.stm

www.e-health-insider.com/news/4413/official_consultation_on_084_numbers

and

www.dh.gov.uk/en/Consultations/Liveconsultations/DH_091879 for the consultation itself.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2008 at 1:19am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge