Send Topic Print
03 - Cost to ring (Read 95,241 times)
jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: 03 - Cost to ring
Reply #45 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 12:33pm

I don't think that we should be boycotting 03 numbers at all. We should be proud of the fact that a number of companies have either changed or have expressed an interest in changing to them. The RSCPA for example has now removed its main 0870 numbers and replaced them with 0300 numbers - this is a great start in my opinion! Others have mentioning changing their numbers in the future too.

I think we need to keep ensuring that we contact telcos that aren't supporting 03 numbers, mention companies that have already changed (the RSCPA could be used as a vital example of the need to connect to 03 numbers) and encourage them to read the Ofcom advice about 03 numbers so that they know what they need to do and can be persuaded to support them properly.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #46 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 2:07pm

jgxenite wrote on Jan 13th, 2008 at 12:33pm:
I think we need to keep ensuring that we contact telcos that aren't supporting 03 numbers, mention companies that have already changed (the RSCPA could be used as a vital example of the need to connect to 03 numbers) and encourage them to read the Ofcom advice about 03 numbers so that they know what they need to do and can be persuaded to support them properly.

I am a customer of Virginmedia, Orange and Vodaphone (as well as BT). All three had doubt about 03, which was resolved with some difficulty. One would not necessarily expect the smaller operators to be more "on the ball" with a relatively new development.

I have today contacted four others mentioned recently in the thread. One gave the correct answer after lengthy investigation and then confirmed that the published information was indeed incorrect. Another was able to give me the answer on the spot as he had dealt with other similar enquiries today (I wonder where these came from !); he also confirmed that the published information was incorrect.

I am told that doubt in respect of the other two is currently being investigated, although as I can only make a vague sales enquiry I cannot be confident of a speedy (if any) response.

Please forgive my earlier over-strong reaction, Baz. In the terms which apply (although we may wish it were different) this is early days for 03. We are right to be cautious and perhaps cynical, but let us try to make 03 work - if this is what we want and believe to be possible. It is much harder to make things better than to rightly criticise the way they are. This is especially true as one has to sometimes live with serious wrongs that one cannot hope to change, in order to address less important issues that one can.

David

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #47 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 2:38pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Jan 13th, 2008 at 12:15pm:
If this was the financial services industry heads would roll, as it is being missing sold?

I agree the FSA does a better job in some areas of consumer protection than Ofcom (hardly difficult) but it is far from universally effective.

For instance when Barclays cut the interest rate on the cash element of my Self Select ISA and PEP to 1% without telling me that didn't seem to be a matter that the FSA could do anything about.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2008 at 2:38pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #48 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 8:12am

I was informed by VM on more than one occassion that 03 numbers were inclusive and I have rang them a number of times in this regard and had the same response

WHAT A SHAM

RESPONCE FROM VIRGIN

Dear Derrick,

Thanks for your email.

I would like to inform you that we keep on reviewing our packages and always try to add something more good and interesting features to our packages but as of now we have not included 03 numbers free in the package.

Many Thanks

Shakir

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #49 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 9:01am

bazzerfewi wrote on Jan 14th, 2008 at 8:12am:
I was informed by VM on more than one occassion that 03 numbers were inclusive and I have rang them a number of times in this regard and had the same response

WHAT A SHAM

RESPONCE FROM VIRGIN

Dear Derrick,

Thanks for your email.

I would like to inform you that we keep on reviewing our packages and always try to add something more good and interesting features to our packages but as of now we have not included 03 numbers free in the package.

Many Thanks

Shakir

The customer service drones of this world such as Shakir will always be ignorant and always get it wrong.  The only substantive proof that these companies are not charging 01/02 rates for 03 calls worth pursuing is what appears on your phone bill.

If you get a phone bill showing 03 calls being charged above 01/02 rates then immediately make an official complaint to the company and copy it to Ofcom.

<div style=

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:49pm

RESULT!   I have received an email from the Communications Director at Telecomplus/Utility Warehouse stating that they were contacted by OFCOM (following my email to OFCOM) and 03 numbers will now be treated as standard geographical numbers and "included in our free UK call offers from our next bills".   I think this is a success, I am encouraged that OFCOM did take this seriously and this is an example to other telecos that 03 SHOULD be treated as OFCOM require.  This also supports Silent Calls Victim's comments about supporting 03 numbers and the telecos will act.   (OK, someone will probably say what about any calls made by customers of UW to 03 nos up to now, will they be refunded? but I do not feel inclined to pursue that.)

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #51 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:04pm

Barbara wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:49pm:
RESULT!   I have received an email from the Communications Director at Telecomplus/Utility Warehouse stating that they were contacted by OFCOM (following my email to OFCOM) and 03 numbers will now be treated as standard geographical numbers and "included in our free UK call offers from our next bills".   I think this is a success, I am encouraged that OFCOM did take this seriously and this is an example to other telecos that 03 SHOULD be treated as OFCOM require.  This also supports Silent Calls Victim's comments about supporting 03 numbers and the telecos will act.   (OK, someone will probably say what about any calls made by customers of UW to 03 nos up to now, will they be refunded? but I do not feel inclined to pursue that.)

Barbara it is good that by considerable personal effort you have forced this company to change its policy to conform with telecoms regulations.

Nonetheless it is a remarkable commentary on the spectacular ineptitude of the telecoms regulator Ofcom that telecommunications providers were not made fully aware from the outset at high level that 03 calls would be treated on the same basis as 01/02 calls so that this matter was corectly handled from Day One without citizen consumers having to perform numerous handsprings in order to make these companies do what they are supposed to do in the first place.

With respect I think you should attempt to recover any excess charges for 03 calls imposed by Utility Warehouse on your own phone bill as a matter of principle and threaten a complaint to the telecoms adjudicator Otelo if they do not comply.  After all you could imagine what might happen if you were late on paying even a single phone bill to Utility Warehouse.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:44pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #52 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:13pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 12th, 2008 at 5:48pm:
Thanks for the consumer tip.

I have been recommended to use these services, but as the provider is are clearly unwilling or unable to operate properly I will avoid them. I would also strongly advise others not to provide credit card details to any organisation like this, if there was little hope of getting a genuine error (which any business is likely to make) corrected.

Should there be a saynoto18185.com website and a campaign to put these people out of business, or are some consumers happy to benefit from very low cost services run on very tight margins, which cannot fund overheads that could be thought necessary?

There are many such businesses in many sectors, many of which are celebrated and popular (until they crash). Regulators are reluctant to shut them down (as they probably should) because they fear being accused of being in league with the established industry and stiffling competition.

Sorry SCV but I don't regard the current failure to carry calls to all 03 numbers as primarily Finarea's fault but as Ofcom's fault for not making clear to all the intermediate telecoms carriers that Finarea deal with that the call should be carried at 01/02 rates.

Finarea have removed the bar from connecting calls through to 03 that used to exist and calls are only failing because the intermediate middle men they they are using to connect the calls have not removed the bar.  This is because Ofcom in turn have failed to adequately communicate the situation.

Finarea are based in Switzerland and offer low cost call brands in many countries and their itemised billing is 100% accurate.  My only ever previous complaint was about price rises that I did not always get email notification of.

But it is not Finarea's job to ensure that everyone involved in routing UK calls understands 03 calls are the same as 01/02 for consumer charges. It is Ofcom's job to ensure this as it is its regulatory rule.  And it is Ofcom's incompetence that is causing the current failure to universally implement the rule.  It is also Ofcom's pathetic lack of direct regulatory enforcement and fines that has caused its pronouncements not to be regarded as unbreakable rules by those in the telecoms industry.

As to Finarea's non membership of an ADR at the end of day I regard it as Ofcom's fault for not universally enforcing its rules and only acting after hundreds of consumer complaints are made.  If Ofcom's rules are in effect largely voluntary for small telecoms providers and Switzerland is a long way from Ofcom's regulatory arm you can hardly blame Finarea from not incurring additional costs which appear to be largely voluntary.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:19pm

Barbara wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:49pm:
RESULT!

Well done Barbara. Well done O..... (perhaps I had better not say it!)

A small victory - yes! But that is how it goes.

Campaigners here may justly claim some parental rights over the infant 03. It must be protected from all challenges to its validity and health, so that it can develop into the sizeable grownup that we wish it to become.

We must also encourage everyone to recognise it as a loveable child before it has a chance to prove its worth as an adult, regardless of understandable doubts raised on account of some of its parentage.

David
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:20pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #54 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:51pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:19pm:
Campaigners here may justly claim some parental rights over the infant 03.

Yes well I certainly can because I proposed the idea to Ofcom at the November 2005 meeting they held for stakeholders representing consumer interest groups.  At the meeting Ofcom were saying oh but what is the alternative to using 084 and 087 numbers to which this was my response - that an 03 code code charged to callers at geographic rates and where the company who is called paid for their extra convenience in NTS call routing was the answer.

It is a pity they did not also pick up my other suggestion that if moving all non Freephone 084/7 numbers to 09 was politically unpalatable (as it probably was in spite of being the purist solution favoured by most members of this group) they should move them on to the unused 06 prefix code instead where they would at least be clearly differentiated from numbers charged at geographic rates and from Freephone numbers.  Of course we all know why that didn't happen. Wink Roll Eyes Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 6:27pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:13pm:
Ofcom in turn have failed to adequately communicate the situation

We all wish that Ofcom had done more to publicise 03 and was doing so now.

I have only seen Ofcom's public announcement of the change, I cannot say whether Ofcom applied s48(6)(a) of the Communications Act correctly in respect of Finarea.and others.

It appears that some recipients were content with the notification that they received, as they are complying with the revised conditions.

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:51pm:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:19pm:
Campaigners here may justly claim some parental rights over the infant 03.
Yes well I certainly can

I must then add: Well done NGMsGhost.

It is unfortunate that your partner was not able to show the same fecundity from other doses of your seed.

I have had the same problem, with the same partner, alhough in a different area. Being currently out to consultation, she is therefore “in season”, and I am now rogering away in the hope of the sibling that our firstborn badly needs.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #56 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 6:38pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 6:27pm:
It is unfortunate that your partner was not able to show the same fecundity from other doses of your seed.

I have had the same problem, with the same partner, alhough in a different area. Being currently out to consultation, she is therefore “in season”, and I am now rogering away in the hope of the sibling that our firstborn badly needs.

Hmmm I see you have no problem with advanced uses of the English Language requiring at least A level English Literature, even though you do not seem to approve of the use of Latin quotes. Wink Grin

To be honest I would much rather have learnt Spanish instead of Latin (in addition to my more useful French 'O' level) as I then may have become fluent in it due to the number of holidays I have spent in the country.  However having wasted 5 years or so on Latin learning I like to still get some use out of it.

No doubt if this government is in office long enough they will also ban the use of Latin shorthand in official government publications or indeed may even make it illegal in the national newspapers too.  Obviously it goes without saying that commerical companies would still be allowed to use their discretion over Latin use in the interests of not interfering unduly in the commercial marketplace. Wink Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #57 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 8:55am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 6:38pm:
A level English Literature ... Latin quotes ...

Our OT diversions may be entertaining to ourselves and perhaps other readers, but we must try to keep them brief and relevant.

My few years of studying Latin enable me to cope with common tags, such as those we exchanged (both making valid points). I asked that we return to English because my Latin was never up to conversational standard.

I am not sure which words from my previous posting would only be encountered on studying English literature up to 'A' level. I am not prepared to discuss at precisely what stage of my long past teenage years "rogering" became part of my life.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008 at 8:56am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #58 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 9:43am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 16th, 2008 at 8:55am:
I am not sure which words from my previous posting would only be encountered on studying English literature up to 'A' level. I am not prepared to discuss at precisely what stage of my long past teenage years "rogering" became part of my life.

I would suspect that "rogering" is now an antique slang phrase more familiar to the Famous Five or even the Bulldog Drummond generation and is an expression perhaps most frequently used by much the same people as would be at home using the words "tally ho" whilst seed (as in "demon seed") as a proxy for a 5 letter word that might well be censored by the American forum software has distinctly biblical conotations.  The current teen generation would probably know about planting lettuce seeds in the ground (although I wouldn't even rely on them knowning about that either as it might mean leaving the HDTV or the Ipod on one side).

I suspect that fecundity is also a word that many 18 year olds may no longer be aware of and is again most likely only regularly to be come across by students of English Literature and especially of Chaucer or Shakespeare.  Finally "in season" has very specific animal fertility associations and again I do not seem to have heard the phrase quoted very much in recent years.

I fear you may be being dated by your generation in your use of English SCV without even realising it.  Its also interesting to hear that you were a student of Latin.  My bet though would be that this was probably at the local grammar school though rather than at a Public School. Wink Tongue Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008 at 9:58am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #59 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 6:24pm

Well I can confirm that SkyTalk do charge for calls to 03x.

I made a test call on 2nd January to 0300 123 4999 (RSPCA) which lasted 1min 30sec and cost £0.158.

I just spoke with SkyTalk c/s and the guy hadn't heard of 03x numbers (no surprise) and he said he would credit it back and pass on to the powers that be that calls to 03x are being charged for when they should be included in inclusive minutes.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2008 at 6:24pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge