Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cost of an 0800 number? (Read 4,496 times)
MikeJ

Cost of an 0800 number?
Mar 21st, 2008 at 1:36pm

I, like all of you probably, believe 0800 numbers to be free to the caller, but unless I'm reading it incorrectly BT seem to think otherwise.

I was trying to phone BT Broadband to complain about the speed of my Broadband.  I found the following contact page ... (a rather long URL) to their "Contact BT > Broadband & Internet > BT Broadband > I have a technical or connection problem" page on the Phone Us tab.  It gives a number to call which is 0800 111 4567 and then strangely states the following ...

"Calls to 0800 numbers provided by BT will be charged at up to 4 pence per minute. A call set-up fee of up to 6 pence per call applies to calls from residential lines. Mobile and other providers’ costs may vary."

Am I simply mis-reading things or is BT really suggesting I'll be charged?

Mike

# URL view corrected ~ DaveM
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:33pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Cost of an 0800 number?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 1:52pm

My suspicion is that that number used to be an 0845 number, but has recently changed to an 0800 number. Probably means that someone has forgotten to update the page for the new number. You should never be charged to call an 0800 number from a landline (mobiles are chargeable unfortunately).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:44pm

No I think something else is afoot here if you look at this page which also goes to a freephone number 0808 100 7665.

They both seem to be associated with BT supplying other numbers (0800 & 0808) for the subscriber who would be charged this when people call (the subscriber), if that makes any sense. You see my thinking here ? There were a few others that I found on this website that gave similar info to what I've shown above.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 10:37pm

Well, having a quick browse of the web, it seems that technical support for BT used to be on an 0870 number. As I said before, I think someone has just replaced the number and not bothered to change the surrounding text.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

MikeJ

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 11:38pm

BT have now updated the page to correctly read "Calls to 0800 numbers are free from UK landlines. Mobile costs may vary."

Unfortunately I still haven't solved my Broadband issue  Sad

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge