Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Surrey County Council (Read 68,364 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Surrey County Council
Apr 22nd, 2008 at 11:55am

Source: Surrey County Council

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/0...

<<
0845 contact centre telephone number

The contact centre uses the cheapest number available without having to pass on a cost to the residents of Surrey. However, there is an issue with the way the number is being charged by some phone companies.

The contact centre decided to use an 0845 for a number of reasons:

* use of an 0870 number would incur costs to the general public and therefore is not acceptable
   * use of an 0800 number would incur costs to the council and therefore the council tax payer and is not acceptable
   * use of an 020 number (as we are based in Kingston) would cost the majority of Surrey residents more than using an 0845 number and is therefore not desirable

Unfortunately, some household telecoms companies choose not to package the 0845 number in their free local call packages, and charge it at the maximum rate that they are allowed to by law. We recognise that this is not a satisfactory situation.

The telecoms regulatory body Ofcom are aware of this issue. They are trying to rush through new regulations to bring the households telecoms companies into line by using a new 0345 local rate number. This would be charged at a lower maximum rate, and could only be used by Government bodies and charities. In the meantime, if you feel you are paying too much to call 0845 numbers, you should speak to your phone provider.
>>

Does the fact that costs do not have to be passed on tell them something?? Do they expect telephone companies to hand out free lunches???  Roll Eyes

I've never heard of any "law" on the maximum price of 0845 numbers. That's a new one!  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:30pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Re: Surrey County Council - It's the telcos' fault
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:41pm

Surely this garbage needs a response.

As local numbers haven't existed since 2004 giving the excuse that it could cost Surrey residents more because they are outside of Surrey is tosh - it wouldn't matter if they were in Aberdeen!

And surely the 0345 numbers have been avasilable for sometime now.

And get in the real world re speak to your telephone provide -. "Dear BT I think I am paying too much for using 0845 numbers" Dear Keith, I'm sorry to hear that, let us reduce them for you". I'll try that when I go shopping as well.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:45pm

Keith wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:41pm:
And get in the real world re speak to your telephone provide -. "Dear BT I think I am paying too much for using 0845 numbers" Dear Keith, I'm sorry to hear that, let us reduce them for you". I'll try that when I go shopping as well.

Indeed! Dear Tesco, I am paying too much for Heinz Baked Beans in your supermarkets and request you reduce them to the price of your own-brand "no frills" baked beans.

Of course, we must remember that revenue share is available. Therefore, no telco would ever include them in packages (assuming that the "wholesale" cost is covered) because fraudsters could then get one of these numbers and call it from an inclusive package.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:10pm

Surrey County Council are one of the leading abusers of NGNs for Contact Centre use amongst UK councils because they offer no other phone numbers at all to the general public other than this 0845 number and the 0845 number is frequently subject to long queues before you reach an operator.  Worse than that the staff who answer are classic robotised "we know nothing about anything" type call centre staff who have no geographic knowledge whatsoever of the County they are supposed to take calls on behalf of and no understanding of normal basic council issues (let alone the cost of phone calls).

The last conversation I had with their contact centre manager about 3 months ago showed that senior management at Surrey CC were in reality perfectly well aware of the 0845 overcharge issue and this person claimed they were in the process of moving to using an 03 number shortly.  But then I was told by another contact centre manager that they were working towards switching to a geographic phone number three years ago.  There is no excuse whatsoever for them using 0845 and other large county councils like West Sussex use solely geographic phone numbers for contact.

Can I make the following points:-

1. Can Dave, DaveM or bbb_uk remove the verified number listed as the Surrey County Council switchboard (020 85418800) that I originally provided to this site two or three years ago and replace it with 01252 716021 (showing it as the Surrey County Council - Contact Centre) this is because the original 020 number now plays a message telling callers to call the 0845 number for the Contact Centre.  This new 01252 geographic number for their contact centre in the Unverified section is in fact the former direct geographic number for Farnham Library (still shown at www.ucas.ac.uk/students/startapplication/wheretoapply/southeast/surrey) and various other places via Google so I imagine this is why it still feeds in to the Contact Centre as direct public contact with the libraries on the phone was also ended by Surrey CC in favour of the Contact Centre.  The fact that the previous more memorable geographic number for Surrey Contact Centre (their old main switchboard number in Kingston Upon Thames) has now been closed down by having a redirect message to call the 0845 number put in place clearly tells us the abusive and control freakish forces in the Contact Centre management that we are up against.

2. The way to deal with the outrageous tissue of lies that is listed by Surrey CC to defend their use of 0845 on their website is to make an Official Complaint using the three stage complaints procedure with Surrey County Council (that finally leads to the Local Government Ombudsman).  To do this call the dedicated Official Complaints line numbers on 020 8541 9100 or 020 8541 9811 (its interesting that these are still geographic numbers on their website) saying you want to make an Official Complaint about these statements regarding their 0845 number and want the complaint formally investigated and to receive an official response.   Do not under any circumstances agree to accept an informal resolution.

Or it may be easier to just email county.complaints@surreycc.gov.uk along with links to the sticky articles on this website which show why 0845 and 0870 numbers are not local rate plus of course a link to the COI's Contact Centre Guide V3 and the page number with the section on cost to the citizen consumer of 0845 and 0870 numbers.  Again make clear this is a formal complaint and you will not accept an informal resolution.

3. If you live in Surrey you should also email your local County Councillor to complain about this matter.

You can find your County Councillor and their email address at:-

www.surreycc.gov.uk/members/membook.nsf/webSelectMember?openform

4. You might also want to copy any emails of complaint you send to Surrey CC's complaints section to the following people:-

The Leader of the Council

Nick Skellett - n.skellett@surreycc.gov.uk

The Chief Executive

Richard Shaw - richard.shaw@surreycc.gov.uk

The Cabinet/Executive Member for Policy and Performance

Helyn Clack - helyn.clack@surreycc.gov.uk
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:28pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:19pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:10pm:
1. Can Dave, DaveM or bbb_uk remove the verified number listed as the Surrey County Council switchboard (020 85418800) that I originally provided to this site two or three years ago and replace it with 01252 716021 (showing it as the Surrey County Council - Contact Centre) this is because the original 020 number now plays a message telling callers to call the 0845 number for the Contact Centre. …

I've done that.

I've also removed 01483 568496 (Guildford Library) and 01883 714225 (Oxted Library) which go through to the same recording giving the 0845 number.

01483 543599 is Libraries Information Service and still answers as such.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:28pm

Dave wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:19pm:
I've done that.

I've also removed 01483 568496 (Guildford Library) and 01883 714225 (Oxted Library) which go through to the same recording giving the 0845 number.

01483 543599 is Libraries Information Service and still answers as such.

Thanks Dave. Smiley

However since Surrey County Council seem to have the same attitude towards the availability of geographic alternative numbers for their Contact Centre as Sky then regretfully I suspect it is only a matter of time before the 01252 old Farnham library number GN route to the Contact Centre is also replaced by a recorded announcement saying call 0845 by its abusive management and/or their private sector call centre partner. Shocked Angry

That is why it is important to make a formal complaint to the Council and/or email your local County Councillor about the matter.

Well actually I intend to make a formal complaint and email the Cabinet Member and Chief Executive and all 81 County Councillors (with a copy of the rubbish on their website)  about this matter but as there is no group email address for all Councillors unfortunately that is a whole lot of work and may take me a little while to get round to. Embarrassed

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:08pm

I have written to Surrey CC. Will report back on reply.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:23pm

Keith wrote on Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:08pm:
I have written to Surrey CC. Will report back on reply.

Well done Keith.  Do you live in Surrey as obviously they will take a lot more notice of the views of Surrey County Council Taxpayers who live in the County.

To get their attention my recommendation would to to ask for it to be treated as a formal complaint at Stage 1 on which you will not accept an Informal Resolution.  This then starts heading down the track towards the Local Government Ombudsman.  They take official complaints like this much more seriously than mere comments or suggestions from the public.

Cunningly they won't tell you about the official complaints procedure unless you know about it and will just treat your complaint as an informal comment on which they don't have to act or respond. Shocked Angry

You might also want to refer them to the excellent example set by Mole Valley District Council (the next tier down in Surrey providing swimming pools, planning decisions and rubbish collections etc) who adopted policy banning the use of 084 and 087 prefixed numbers at their July 2005 full Council meeting.

See Minute No 141 - Motion 2/2005 at www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/pdf/1/s/Council_Minutes_190705.pdf

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:35pm

NGMGhost,

Yes I do live in Surrey. Here is my email to Chief Exec and Leader of Council. I will follow your advice re formal complaint and reference to Mole Valley after I have heard back from them. I'm aware of your good work on this front at Mole Valley  Smiley

Nick/Richard,

Can I please refer you to the web page on the Surrey CC site headed up : "0845 contact centre telephone number". The information given here is seriously inaccurate and you are getting (justifiably) adverse comments on sites such as Saynoto0870.com.

In particular your site says:

"use of an 020 number (as we are based in Kingston) would cost the majority of Surrey residents more than using an 0845 number and is therefore not desirable"

This is not true. Local calls were abolished in 2004 and therefore a call to my next door neighbour costs the same as a call to Aberdeen so the fact that you are based in Kingston is completely irrelevant. What is more for most people (packages) the cost of an 0845 call is more than a cost to an 020 number (regardless of location).

"Unfortunately, some household telecoms companies choose not to package the 0845 number in their free local call packages, and charge it at the maximum rate that they are allowed to by law. We recognise that this is not a satisfactory situation"

This is very misleading. In fact all telecoms companies exclude 0845 numbers and for good reason. They have to because 0845 numbers can be a revenue generating numbers so if they were included in packages it would be very simple for criminals to purchase them and then call them continuously from and inclusive package and defraud the telcoms company.

"The telecoms regulatory body Ofcom are aware of this issue. They are trying to rush through new regulations to bring the households telecoms companies into line by using a new 0345 local rate number."

Again this is very misleading as the 03 numbers have been in place now for
sometime and many public bodies (including OFCOM) use them, so this should not be given as an excuse.

"In the meantime, if you feel you are paying too much to call 0845 numbers, you should speak to your phone provider."

And what would you expect to happen if I contact BT about their 0845 rate? Do you really expect that because of my call they will reduce the price? They are a
commercial business. Giving out such advice to council tax payers is rather
patronising.

I hope you can respond in a positive manner by:

a) Publishing alternative geographic numbers to your 0845 numbers
b) Adopting an 0345 number.

Regards Keith.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:46pm

A good letter Keith but I would make sure to also copy this to your local County Councillor, who would hopefully take up the cudgels on your behalf and indeed may not support the current Surrey CC policy on this matter.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Surrey County Council - updated message
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 1:50pm

The message posted on the Surrey County Council website here about its 0845 number has been amended. They have now published an alternative number (020 8541 9944) which is now in the Saynoto0870 database.

<<
0845 contact centre telephone number

The contact centre decided to use an 0845 for a number of reasons:

* Use of an 0870 number would incur costs to the general public and therefore is not acceptable.
    * Use of an 0800 number would incur costs to the council, and therefore the council tax payer, and is not acceptable.
    * Surrey County Council is not charged by our telecoms supplier for use of our 0845 number, nor does it receive any share of the public's telephone charges and was therefore seen as the fairest option.

Unfortunately, household telecoms companies do not package the 0845 number in their free local call packages, and generally charge it at the maximum rate that they are allowed to by Ofcom, the industry regulator. We recognise that this is not a satisfactory situation.

Ofcom are aware of this issue and have recently issued a series of phone numbers beginning with 03 which are charged at a cheaper rate and in some cases form part of inclusive call packages.

It is the recommendation of Sir David Varney's report, "Service transformation: A better service for citizens and businesses, a better deal for the taxpayer" (PDF, 751KB) that all publicly funded contact centres move to the 03 number range from November 2007. To date, only a small number of contact centres have issued 03 phone numbers due to technical and contractual issues within the telephony industry.

At present, Surrey County Council is not able to issue an 0345 number. We are however in talks with various suppliers and hope to reach a solution over the coming months.

In the meantime, we can advise you that you will be able to contact us on 020 8541 9944 should you wish to avoid using our 08456 009 009 number. We should, however, make you aware that in certain circumstances, for example temporary relocation of our contact centre, you may find that only the 08456 009 009 number is effective.
>>

Gone is the suggestion that the 0845 is the cheapest solution and that calls to an 020 number would cost the majority of Surrey residents more.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:10pm

Do you think that changed because of my email to the Chief Exec and leader of the council. If so I'm feeling somewhat smug.

If so I'm impressed with the change in wording happening so quickly. The initial info was rubbish, but the change was very quick and the excuse for not yet adopting an 03 number is plausable when you consider some of the stories we have heard and the lack of promotion for the number.

I think it right to say well done to Surrey CC.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:13pm

Keith wrote on Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:10pm:
Do you think that changed because of my email to the Chief Exec and leader of the council. If so I'm feeling somewhat smug.

I'm sure you're not the only person who has contacted Surrey CC about this.  Wink

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Dave wrote on Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:13pm:

I'm sure you're not the only person who has contacted Surrey CC about this.  Wink

Come on, give Keith some credit. Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:39pm

sherbert wrote on Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:30pm:
Dave wrote on Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:13pm:

Come on, give Keith some credit. Smiley

Yes, sorry Keith, my post appears somewhat smug in itself.  Embarrassed

Good work Keith.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge