Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calling 07973 Numbers (Read 17,232 times)
greyjaybee

SouthWest UK
Calling 07973 Numbers
May 12th, 2008 at 4:49pm

I had assumed if I call 07973 it would be charged as a 'geographical' number. However I use 18185 as a prefix with BT Option 1 call plan, and just called the Orange 07973 100450 cust services number. Checking my call list on the 18185 website I have been charged 71pence for a 10.18 min call ! This includes the 5 pence set up charge but still that means the call cost seemingly 6 pence a minute which is what 18185 charge for daytime Mon thru Fri calls to mobiles using their pre-fix.
So does anyone know in that case, is 07973 classed as a mobile. I'm confused and feel a little misled if indeed it is. Sad

When the Heart Speaks, Take Notes.
greyjaybee  
IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Re: Calling 07973 Numbers
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2008 at 6:03pm

Yes its a mobile number,and charged accordingly.

Code: 079 731    
Type: Mobile
Use: Mobile Orange
Operator: Orange
Tariff Band: Orange Mobile (fm4) (inc VAT)
Service: Mobile

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008 at 6:05pm by oldharryrocks »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2008 at 8:45pm

As per oldharryrocks' post, 07973 are Orange mobile numbers. If you have an Orange contract phone handy you should be able to get through to customer services on 150 for (free on most PM tariffs) or there are some freephone numbers in the database which might work.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2008 at 2:40am

Dave wrote on May 12th, 2008 at 8:45pm:
07973 are Orange mobile numbers.

... Not necessarily - I went through this one many years ago.

Because of number portability there is no guarantee as to which network a number is connected to.

If like me you benefit from cheaper calls within the network, e.g Orange-Orange, there is no guarantee that a 07973 number will still be an Orange number. It is unlikely that Orange would have ported its customer services number onto another network, but the prefix provides no assurance of the cost of the call.

If you want to know which network a number is actually on, the only way to find out is to ring it and ask, or wait to see what comes up on your bill.

I find this unacceptable, but what is the answer?

Should number porting be prohibited?
Should network operators not be allowed to encourage referral business amongst friends by allowing cheaper "in-network" calls?
Should Ofcom require the mobile companies to provide a free "which network" enquiry service?

IP Logged

greyjaybee

SouthWest UK
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:58am

Thanks to all for the replies here. A very mis leading little ploy it seems, by Orange. I have just unlocked a vodafone PAYT phone and gone back to Orange because unbelievably their cost per minute is half the cost !. But encountered this problem when trying to register a card with Orange for topping up online. I tried the free 150 or was it 154, but having gone thru that annoying 'menu' for about ten minutes ended up hitting a blank wall. there just was no option and I was told to dial the 07973 number. I assumed it would be something other than a mobile (cost wise) as I was calling a call-centre. but then as with most other things in the UK, the company have it nicely sewn up it seems, that we have to spend some more money to get what we want !
there seem not to be any geo alternatives on 0870site so I was stuffed. Angry

greyjaybee  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2008 at 9:12pm

greyjaybee wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 7:58am:
… I tried the free 150 or was it 154, but having gone thru that annoying 'menu' for about ten minutes ended up hitting a blank wall. there just was no option and I was told to dial the 07973 number. …

That's because the number you've quoted is 07973 100450 which is PAYG customer services. The number from an Orange mobile for this is 450.

Calling 150 from an Orange mobile gets you to pay monthly customer services, which is 07973 100150 from a non-Orange phone.

If you called 150 from a Orange PAYG phone, I'm would be surprised if it's free.

greyjaybee wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 7:58am:
…I assumed it would be something other than a mobile (cost wise) as I was calling a call-centre. but then as with most other things in the UK, the company have it nicely sewn up it seems, that we have to spend some more money to get what we want !
there seem not to be any geo alternatives on 0870site so I was stuffed. Angry

Unfortunately Orange uses its own mobile numbers for its call centre. The cost of calling them is usually higher than 0870, especially from a landline, and thus I think it's certain that the rake-off is higher than had it used 0870.

IP Logged

greyjaybee

SouthWest UK
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2008 at 8:06am

Oops I meant to say 450, not 150. Sorry to confuse you.
Either way its still a rip off as I couldnt register my card on the 'free' number from my mobile as was suggested on the Orange website ! Which was why in frustration I wound up calling the 07973 number. So questioned the high charge.
That was my point.
Thanks all......

greyjaybee  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge