Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with paying for prescriptions (Read 28,036 times)
Keith

Surrey
Help with paying for prescriptions
Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:04pm

I have just seen a poster in the Doctors Surgery giving a telephone number to call if you have problems affording to pay for prescriptions, etc.

It is an 0870 number.

God help us - do the people that organise this stuff have no brains?

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2008 at 12:32pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Help with paying for perscriptions
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:22pm

Is this something organised by your PCT? What's the number? Is there a website with more information? How about media coverage that this service is charging patients?

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:48pm

Unfortuanately I don't know. This wasn't my GPs surgery. I might be visiting again in the near future so I will try and get details. I wasn't able to take down the info as it just caught my eye while passing with someone and I didn't have pencil and paper handy. It seemed to be a general notice (so not my PCT I suspect) and there was a web site as well so I might do a search.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:59pm

I've found it on the internet. Poster HC10. This poster uses 0845 now with a date of April 08 so I assume I saw an older poster. 0845 is better I guess! Still annoying and you just want to ask who thought 0870 was ever a good idea for people with little money.

And of course I meant 'prescription'

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 8:37pm

Keith wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:59pm:
This poster uses 0845 now with a date of April 08 so I assume I saw an older poster. 0845 is better I guess!

Not if you're calling from a mobile!

What's the number?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:24pm

0845 610 1112

effective from 1/4/08

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Help with paying for prescriptions
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:18am

The situation seems somewhat confused.

The NHS Business Services Authority deals with these matters, some of which can be handled by telephone, generally on 0845 numbers - see http://www.ppa.org.uk//ppa/hwhc.htm.

0845 610 1112 appears to be the number for the printers of the leaflets and forms - 3M Security Printing and Systems Ltd.

08701 555 455 was the number for the Department of Health Publications Order Line. This however has now been changed to 0300 123 1002.

This raises many questions. More investigation is required.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 10:21am

The disgusting thing is that the NHS insult our intelligence by urging patients to call various 0845 numbers with their questions on prescriptions -- the Help Desk -- they describe 0845 as Local Rate!! and add the "Low Income Scheme" with an 0845 number!!!

Another insulting thing is that if you wish to enquire about "the electronic toolkit" or "reports published by NHSBSA PPD" then you may call an 01 number!   Presumably only health service professionals will make such enquiries so they can have a normal 01 number whilst the long-suffering, ripped off wantonly exploited patients must pay a premium rate!!!   When the hell is Alan Johnson, Health Secretary, going to eliminate this blatant abuse of patients and citizens, or he as incompetent and ineffective as the rest of New, I mean Old, Labour.

Quote from the website here:---
If you have an enquiry, please scroll down and use the details for the service you are interested in from the following list.

Prescription Processing Help Desk

If you have any enquiries regarding the following:

Pharmacy Processing
Prescription Searches
Personal Administration
Dispensing Doctors
Contractor Payment Information.

The new contact number is 0845 610 1171 (local rate call)

This is the new Prescription Processing Help Desk telephone number which should be used with immediate effect and replaces any existing numbers you currently use.

Help with Health Costs

For all queries relating to the NHS Low Income Scheme, contact the Patient Services:

0845 850 1166

Alternatively, complete our query form.

For general queries, prior to applying for Prescription Pre-payment, Medical and Maternity Exemption Certificates:

0845 850 0030

For specific queries, after applying for / receiving Prescription Pre-payment, Medical and Maternity Certificates:

0845 601 8076

Alternatively, complete our query form.

For queries about your NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate:

0845 609 9299

EHIC Enquiries

For enquiries relating to applications for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

0845 605 0707
0191 203 5555 (from outside UK)

Ehicenquiries@ppa.nhs.uk

IT Helpdesk

Enquiries on all NHSBSA PPD Electronic Systems (EPACT, ePACT.net and Prescribing Toolkit) and on the availability and content of reports produced by the NHSBSA PPD.

0191 203 5050

~ Edited by Dave: Link added
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2008 at 8:14pm by Dave »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 11:08am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:18am:
The situation seems somewhat confused.

More investigation is required.

Some of the confusion referred to is resolved by the following points advised this morning:

- The change of number for the Publications Order Line (from 0870 to 0300) was caused by the fact that there is some other very similar (non-DH) 0870 number and calls were being mis-dialled!

- Responsibility for issuing "Help with Help Costs" publications (including the HC1 application forms has passed from the DH Order Line to the printers 3M.

The change of number on the leaflets was caused by an administrative change, not a change of telephone number.

Even the actual change of number was motivated by a quite different reason. The only positive point to draw is that when selecting a new telephone number 0300 was chosen.

With reference to the post by Loddon this morning.

The "local rate" reference is an acknowledged error that must be corrected.

As for the political point, some would suggest that the present incompetence and ineffectiveness of the government is due to the inability of New Labour to be sustained without Blair, in the same way that Thatcherite Conservatism could not be sustained without Thatcher.

It is hard to see a policy of deliberately saving money for taxpayers by imposing charges on service users (NHS patients in particular) as being characteristic of "Old", rather than "New", Labour. Even the LibDems have abandoned the policy of imposing additional burdens on taxpayers to protect public services. Perhaps this places the issue on which were are campaigning outside the realm of policy-related party politics. Those of us who wish, or expect, to see exchanges between parties on true political issues, rather than apolitical issues of personal managerial competence, find much current discourse to be confusing as pragmatism and opportunism has caused apparently long-held positions to be reversed.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 7:18pm

I realise the point of this thread is about the abuse of members of the public by the use of NGNs by yet another govt department which is supposed to help those, in this case, who are not only ill but poor.   When I have used this organisation in the past on behalf of student sons (the ridiculous rules mean one can be exempt from prescription charges on medical grounds but still be charged of dental/optical care even if the medication is causing problems with these apects) I have found a geo no, I thought probably in this database.  However, I can't at present remember the official name of this organisation.   I will have a hunt for it and see if I can find the geo no I used as well.   They are a very difficult organisation to deal with and any call is likely to be long hence even more expensive but I do seem to remember that there is an email option and, if asked via this, they will phone you.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 8:12pm

Barbara wrote on Jun 16th, 2008 at 7:18pm:
… I have found a geo no, I thought probably in this database.  However, I can't at present remember the official name of this organisation.   I will have a hunt for it and see if I can find the geo no I used as well.    …

I think the organisation you refer to is the Prescription Pricing Authority or now it is called "NHS Business Services Authority" (see link provided by SCV above in reply #6)

There is a thread in the requests section on it here.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2008 at 8:12pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 12:01pm

I have found the number I used which is 0191 203 5555 (as opposed to the 0845 610 1105 number shown on the forms).  I have just dialled the 0191 number and it still works and is the Prescription Pricing people so perhaps it should be added to the database with a suitable note about the differing names they now seem to use.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 12:39pm

The reason I raised this point wasn't to find an alternative number (helpful though that is) but to highlight the stupidity of giving out an expensive number to people who are so poor that they need this help.

Those people are probably not those that access this web site or can even afford to own or use a computer.

It is disgraceful these people are being penalised.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 2:46pm

Keith, I agree with you absolutely; the rules governing medical exemptions are just as stupid and the forms so complicated that many innocent people must end up being accused of false claims.   The tel no situation reminds me of one I saw in passing for a disability service in Essex which was an NGN, again unaffordable for those who might need to use it.  This is why I have signed the petition referred to in another thread on the forum about requiring all public bodies to publicise a geo alternative.  It is typical that when people are already suffering government just wants to kick them harder.

IP Logged

Chevvy

Think before you say it!!

Northumberland, UK
Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 11:54am

Ring the PPA switchboard in Newcastle. It is a freely available 0191 number and you can ask to be put through to the benefits section. I used 0191 232 5371 and it worked just fine.

Ian

-- &&Ian Pollard

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge