<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tax Credits (Read 10,726 times)
hbomb1957

Tax Credits
Mar 2nd, 2013 at 12:41am

When calling tax credits I use the number to call if from abroad. They seem to know that I have done this rather than use their expensive 084x number and ask me from what country I am calling so I generally say Spain. First this is an utter liberty as who can afford these numbers and secondly why should I be interrogated in this way. What is the best way to handle this as they are the only organisation I know that questions if you are really calling from abroad?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Tax Credits
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 7:05am

I cannot say if there is anything you can do in the interim, however the situation will very shortly be brought to an end - see HMRC announces end of its 0845 numbers.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 8:45am

hbomb1957 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2013 at 12:41am:
What is the best way to handle this as they are the only organisation I know that questions if you are really calling from abroad?

I suggest you ask them why they need to know and why it matters to them where you are calling from, and why is it relevant and does it matter, and surely the main thing is that you want to make an enquiry and you have or will identify yourself and there is nothing on their documentation which says you have to state where you are when you call them.   And ask them where they are and why.

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:35am

Correct me if I am wrong, but Tax Credits Helpline was 0845 300 3900 and is now 0345 300 3900.

The 0345 number is charged the same as a 01/02 call and comes from inclusive minutes. Thus there is no need to use the "overseas" number; the standard UK number is no longer a covert-premium one.

IP Logged

hbomb1957

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 12:35am

I didn't know the number had changed. Is 0345 in a mobile bundle and cheaper generally on a landline - excuse my ignorance as I get 03 numbers on my mobile package though I was told for instance that 0300 is expensive regardless of the 03 bundles so you never know what is part of a bundle and what isn't so for example people get caught on 070 thinking that 07 is part of their bundle - all very confusing.  WRT to asking tax credits these questions like why do they need to know they are like little Hitlers sometimes and if you ask them questions or refuse then they cut you off which happened to me once after waiting for 20 minutes.  If you haven't got the persons name and there's no record then if they cut you short then there's nothing you can do so they've got you at there command.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 1:25am

PLEASE BE ASSURED ABOUT 03xx NUMBERS

The cost of calling ALL numbers beginning 03 will be no more than if it were a 01 or 02 number. In almost every case it will be the same.

This applies to all types of telephone service and to the terms of bundles and call inclusive packages.

It is enforced by regulation and there are NO EXCEPTIONS that we are aware of (following extensive checking).

There are indeed many irregular and confusing practices which the fair telecoms campaign aims to get on top of. When 03 numbers were first introduced there were some problems, but these have all been eliminated.

One remaining difficulty is that some people fail to describe the cost of calling 03 numbers accurately. This commonly arises from wider confusion, such as the belief that there is still a distinct rate for "local" calls and that landline call charges (in general) are regulated differently from mobile call charges - both of these are untrue.

(If anybody does spot a real case of mis-charging for calls to 03 numbers, then please let us know immediately.)

If someone wants to pick an argument with an HMRC call centre agent whilst we are waiting for the changes to be implemented, they are free to do so. Most agents are well used to taking personal blame for matters outside their control and are well able to retaliate. One must however note that the actual battle over HMRC 0845 numbers has been won (see this item).

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 12:31pm

hbomb1957 wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 12:35am:
I didn't know the number had changed. Is 0345 in a mobile…

I echo SilentCallsVictim's point that all 03xx numbers are included in packages/bundles where 01/02 calls are. The cost of 03 calls is no greater than calling a 01/02 number and all these rules apply to landlines, mobiles and payphones.

There are a number of 03 subprefixes, but be assured that any number that starts 03 won't cost any more than ringing a 01/02 number (including being part of inclusive minutes).

It is largely thanks to the SayNoTo0870 campaign that we now have 03 numbers. The issue was that there was no geographically charged non-geographic number type — 03 filled that gap.

Understandably, it may take some time to get the message out that 03 is not another rip-off prefix. It's like the boy who cried wolf; telephone users have been stung so many times that they are suspicious that it will happen again. The example of 070 being mistaken for a normal mobile number is one such example.

The 03 subprefixes do not vary by charge. Different organisations are allowed to use different ones:

0300 / 0303 Public sector and other non-profit making bodies such as charities
0344 / 0345 These numbers are set aside for users of respective 0844 and 0845 numbers to use, if they so wish.
0370 / 0371 These numbers are set aside for users of respective 0870 and 0871 numbers to use, if they so wish.
0330 / 0333 All organisations can use these numbers.

So the only significance of 0345 is that the user must have previously used (or perhaps still does use) the equivalent 0845 number.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013 at 12:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge