Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0845 DWP Citizens Advice/Social Policy Issue (Read 7,348 times)
Briony

0845 DWP Citizens Advice/Social Policy Issue
Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:56am

Hi all,
I'm doing some research into the 0845 numbers for DWP for the Citizens Advice Social Policy Issues team.
If anyone has any interesting insights or links to anything I may find useful I would very much appreciate it.
What are your thoughts on the problem?
An MP has stated that it will cost 12mill to change the numbers, do you think it is worth the investment?
Thank you!!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Re: 0845 DWP Citizens Advice/Social Policy Issue
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:11am

Briony wrote on Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:56am:
Hi all,
I'm doing some research into the 0845 numbers for DWP for the Citizens Advice Social Policy Issues team.
If anyone has any interesting insights or links to anything I may find useful I would very much appreciate it.
An MP has stated that it will cost 12mill to change the numbers, do you think it is worth the investment?
Thank you!!

Which MP is that?

It won't cost that, it requires  only the number 8 in the 0845 number to be changed to a 3, making it an 0345 number, cost, zero.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 0845 DWP Citizens Advice/Social Policy Issue
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 12:00pm

Briony wrote on Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:56am:
Hi all,
Thank you!!

Hello and welcome to SayNoTo0870.com.

The upcoming changes to 084 non-geographic numbers are expected to mean that all Service Providers (users of these numbers) will have to declare the Service Charge associated with calling their number(s). This is to be known as the Unbundled Tariff and will mean the amount that the caller's phone provider adds (the Access Charge) is split apart from the bit that the Service Provider benefits from (the Service Charge).

At the present time, the Access Charge and Service Charge are effectively bundled together. Service Providers aren't open about the benefit they receive and some originating providers (mobiles in particular) levy high Access Charges.

Once the Unbundled Tariff is announced, it means that the focus of campaigners will be on asking Service Providers whether they will be moving away from 084 numbers or whether they will be happy to declare, what is often, a petty Service Charge.

My view, for years now, is that we need this clarity as Service Providers are simply using the obfuscation of the current bundled approach. Seemingly Service Providers aren't interested in calling for this to be brought out into the open. It is therefore understandable that some people think that this is all a conspiracy by organisations that have evil at their hearts.

My question will be: How can DWP possibly justify a 2 pence per minute Service Charge?

To add to this, HMRC has recently announced that it will be moving from 0845 to 03 later this year. And when the Consumer Rights Directive gets implemented into UK law it will mean that companies won't be allowed to charge above the basic rate for post-contract calls which means that the presence of a declared Service Charge will preclude 084 numbers. So what justification might DWP have for imposing a fee when private companies aren't permitted? Should its services not be funded entirely from tax payers rather than being partly offset onto users?

P.S. Citizens Advice has warranted much stick on its use of 084 numbers and its response to the Ofcom consultation.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2013 at 12:05pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge